Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Told after yesterday's 97-93 loss to the Sixers that Rivers said the Celtics ``really don't get it,'' Pierce looked momentarily stunned
``Me and Doc should sit down and talk about that, so I have a better understanding of what you're talking about,'' he said. Later, asked about the defense of Sixers rookie Andre Iguodala, Pierce responded in similar fashion with a cool, ``No comment.''
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=76414

He's really starting to get on my nerves. He thinks OBie is still the coach and that he'll get away with anything. Someone needs to tell him to stop speaking to the media, because they don't even have to twist any of his words and they come out wrong.

I read the paper last week and he said something along the lines of "everyone wants to beat us because we're a top 3 team in the East."
Paul, 3 weeks ago you were barely .500, and now you think you're going somewhere?

Just shut up and try taking it to the hoop.

Not only doesn't Paul get it, but he doesn't play with any kind of heart or soul.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i dont think he said anything bad there. i mean yeah he obviously doesnt get it but fine then, they should talk about it. what offended you so much about it? also i have no problem with him sayin no comment about iguodalas defense.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P2TheTruth34 said:
i dont think he said anything bad there. i mean yeah he obviously doesnt get it but fine then, they should talk about it. what offended you so much about it? also i have no problem with him sayin no comment about iguodalas defense.
He doesn't get what Doc is talking about? What is he stupid? He has to "sit down and talk to him?"

``We're not acting like a playoff team,'' Pierce said. ``We're acting like we're ready to go home for the summer.''
No Paul, you're not playing like a playoff team, I've seen fire from most guys out on the floor yesterday.

All I've seen from Paul last night is bad shot, after bad shot, after bad shot.

It isn't that he just didn't get it yesterday, it's that he hasn't been getting it for the past 2 years.

·
Registered
420 Posts
im not a celt fan but ive noticed being an nba fan and watchign the games he looks mad as hell now..has that sour look on his face all the time..

he used to play and look like he was having fun now it looks like he wants to prove hes some sort of tough guy..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Paul rushed a couple of shots trying to get us into the game, but other than that I thought he played hard.

The defense was abysmal; no doubt Paul could have done more on that end.

I think, and maybe some of you don't understand, that when you play a game, and you're down by 26 and cut it to 3, you tend to remember the "cutting" part and not the laying down for the opponent part. That's how I take it. Maybe that's why he said what he did.

I have no problems with what he said. I do have problems with the team's intensity. And that's on Paul AND Doc. Doc, why don't they get it? Why didn't they bring it? To me, that's just as much on the coach.

I love Tony Allen, but he was AWFUL yesterday.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Star is in dark: Pierce baffled by team's play

Doc Rivers had just questioned the heart of his Celtics, and the look on Paul Pierce''s face was conflicted.

Should the Celtics captain heartily jump in with a few kicks of his own?

Or should he take the other road, as Pierce sometimes has with his coach this season.

Told after yesterday's 97-93 loss to the Sixers that Rivers said the Celtics ``really don't get it,'' Pierce looked momentarily stunned.

Not a surprise, considering that he played as large a role as anyone in yesterday's roll-out-of-bed pace with five turnovers - the most on either side.

``Me and Doc should sit down and talk about that, so I have a better understanding of what you're talking about,'' he said.

Later, asked about the defense of Sixers rookie Andre Iguodala, Pierce responded in similar fashion with a cool, ``No comment.''

But deep down, Pierce did indeed understand the problem behind the Celtics' inability to take advantage of a head-to-head meeting with the team that now trails them by three games in the Atlantic Division.

``We didn't come out with a better sense of urgency, he's right,'' Pierce said of Rivers' comments. ``It ain't like we don't have something to fight for. We're acting like we don't have anything to fight for, because we think we're already in the playoffs. These games are important, and we need to understand how important they are.
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=76414

·
Registered
352 Posts
I dont see what you guys are complaining about, Pierce is trying to lead the team deap in the playoffs, and doing a good job (also walker wasnt there last night) but for you guys i guess thats not good enough?

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
AoK-TripleDouble said:
Pierce is trying to lead the team deap in the playoffs, and doing a good job
I'm curious as to what your connotation of "leading" is because Pierce's isn't leading the team, in my opinion. In the huddle at the end of the first of the 76ers game, Antoine Walker and Doc Rivers were the ones voicing their opinions and motivating the players. I didn't see any of that from Paul. Paul doesn't need to be vocal, anyways. What he needs to do is lead by example. He needs to play with intensity like he had 3-4 years ago. Not settling for bad jumpers and forcing up misses.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would call a leader scoring ALL the points in OT and still passing around but he was the only one making them, and you know nothing about what was said in the huddle! Maybe Rivers only wanted them to speak cause they were the only ones that saw the complete game! So how about you give Paul a break and stop acting like you know whats going on in the Celtics huddle!

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AoK-TripleDouble said:
I dont see what you guys are complaining about, Pierce is trying to lead the team deap in the playoffs, and doing a good job (also walker wasnt there last night) but for you guys i guess thats not good enough?
The only thing Paul was leading in last game was turnovers. 5 turnovers for a 3 is way too much.

There was a time where he was at least listening, now he's not doing even that.

I want Pauls head to be in the game.

Truth34, I agree Allen was awful, the thing that bother's me the most is that he keeps missing layups. For a athlete there's no excuse for that.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Paul Pierce = One of the best players in the leauge.

6 year carrer = No titles.

I would be mad if my players are not playing like they want a title. I agree totally with the way Pierce acts. He knows he deservs to win something and he began to feel like this was the year. Ounce we get a nice 2-3 game streak going, we will see the Pierce we love, I still love him.

People love him when he wins our games people hate him when he doesen't. :cry:

When you think about how bad he is, just remember,Where would we be without him.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
WestSydeBalla said:
Paul Pierce = One of the best players in the leauge.

6 year carrer = No titles.

I would be mad if my players are not playing like they want a title. I agree totally with the way Pierce acts. He knows he deservs to win something and he began to feel like this was the year. Ounce we get a nice 2-3 game streak going, we will see the Pierce we love, I still love him.

People love him when he wins our games people hate him when he doesen't. :cry:

When you think about how bad he is, just remember,Where would we be without him.
Where do you see a lack of effort?
Do you see it from any of the rookies? I hope not.

How about last years picks, Banks and Perkins? If you do, we're watching different games.

Do you see it from Raef LaFrentz, who busted his *** to get back on the floor this year? I sure don't.

Is it from Payton, who easily could have pissed and moaned until he got released, like a couple of inferior players (Jim Jackson and Alonzo Mourning) did? I think he's been commendable this year.

Do you see a lack of effort from Antoine Walker? I think he's a guy that hates losing as much as anyone in sports, I don't think its him.

Is it from Ricky Davis? He's a guy who has completely reformed himself and is now a player who busts his *** every play on both sides of the ball.

Do you see it from Mark Blount? Is that a lack of effort, or just an unskilled player? A bit of both, I'll give you Blount.

Do you see it in Pierce? Pierce is a player who could easily be averaging 25 points a night while playing brilliant defense and still getting the same assist totals he is getting with fewer turnovers.

I think you can see where I'm noticing this lack of effort. Players, regardless of how good they are, are not entitled to anything. You're really not even entitled to a roster spot (see Isiah Rider). The only players entitled to a championship are the players on the team that wins it in the end.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
how about we stop harping on pierce and freaking concentrate on how ****** the rest of the team is playing

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Agoo, They play hard I know that. But they do not play like they want the crown. No matter how bad your doing you ALWAYS play like you want the crown, otherwise retire.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
WestSydeBalla said:
Agoo, They play hard I know that. But they do not play like they want the crown. No matter how bad your doing you ALWAYS play like you want the crown, otherwise retire.
And how is Pierce doing that? By pouting?

How are other guys not doing that?

·
Registered
472 Posts
agoo101284 said:
Where do you see a lack of effort?
Do you see it from any of the rookies? I hope not.

How about last years picks, Banks and Perkins? If you do, we're watching different games.

Do you see it from Raef LaFrentz, who busted his *** to get back on the floor this year? I sure don't.

Is it from Payton, who easily could have pissed and moaned until he got released, like a couple of inferior players (Jim Jackson and Alonzo Mourning) did? I think he's been commendable this year.

Do you see a lack of effort from Antoine Walker? I think he's a guy that hates losing as much as anyone in sports, I don't think its him.

Is it from Ricky Davis? He's a guy who has completely reformed himself and is now a player who busts his *** every play on both sides of the ball.

Do you see it from Mark Blount? Is that a lack of effort, or just an unskilled player? A bit of both, I'll give you Blount.

Do you see it in Pierce? Pierce is a player who could easily be averaging 25 points a night while playing brilliant defense and still getting the same assist totals he is getting with fewer turnovers.

I think you can see where I'm noticing this lack of effort. Players, regardless of how good they are, are not entitled to anything. You're really not even entitled to a roster spot (see Isiah Rider). The only players entitled to a championship are the players on the team that wins it in the end.
Excellent post! :allhail:

Pierce actually looked like he cared about winning the first few games after Walker returned, but it seems that he's back to pouting now and it's disgusting to watch him act like he thinks he is some kind of basketball god. He takes bad shots knowing that there is next to zero chance he will make them but expecting to draw fouls. When the refs tire of his act and don't give him the freebies at the line, he pouts and whines and pretty soon nobody on the C's can buy a call. I wish he would either grow up or pack his bags and take his act to another team. He and Blount are the two players on this team who least exhibit Celtic Pride and probably don't even know what that is!

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, this one bothers me a lot. Why is Paul always the last on the fast break? He's a wing player, he should be the one that's running the most.

And every time he gets the rebound he doesn't look to pass to the men in front, but he dribbles it himself from one end to another and most times he loses the ball by being stripped or throwing a horrible pass.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Richie Rich said:
how about we stop harping on pierce and freaking concentrate on how ****** the rest of the team is playing

It doesn't work like that in Boston lol..
I wish it did because I love Paul and what he brings.
My favorite player in the league by far.
Just because we're losing games right now all of the fault should be on Pierce.
I really don't think it's fair to him .. He's trying, Or it looked like he was against the 6'ers.. He may have forced some things.. But he's improved with his passing .. People should just get off his back.

I'm sure whenever we win a few games..
Everyone will be back swinging from his nuts.

PdP

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Pierce played like he wanted the crown before this loosing streak, but now I just dont think the other players belive it can happen. Pierce wants it, but when everyone is not on the same page a loosing streak happens. Pierce doesn't know what to do with his efforts, weather to lead or follow. They all come in everynight on the same page focused on a win. Throughout the game it falls apart and He tries to put it back together. The rooks want to play everynight because they have to or they don'tplay,Pierce knows he is going to play the next game so he walks,gets sloppy, and makes bad judgment. It happens.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
WestSydeBalla said:
Pierce played like he wanted the crown before this loosing streak, but now I just dont think the other players belive it can happen. Pierce wants it, but when everyone is not on the same page a loosing streak happens. Pierce doesn't know what to do with his efforts, weather to lead or follow. They all come in everynight on the same page focused on a win. Throughout the game it falls apart and He tries to put it back together. The rooks want to play everynight because they have to or they don'tplay,Pierce knows he is going to play the next game so he walks,gets sloppy, and makes bad judgment. It happens.
That's not how it works. If you're the best guy on the team and a top ten player in the league, you need to keep it going every minute of every game. You need to stay focused and hustle every play. You need to carry the team when need be. You cannot sulk and carry yourself like a little boy throwing a fit. You also can't be the last guy up on every break.

There is an effort problem on this team when we lose games. However, most of the time, it comes from Paul Pierce and not from the other players.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts