Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and once again, mercurynews has it first!

Could it be that, nearing 24 and in his fourth NBA season, Crawford is showing signs of maturity and leadership?

"That's where Jamal has made his biggest growth," Bulls general manager John Paxson said. "He's been very coachable this year."

Paxson and Crawford couldn't be more dissimilar in the way they play and view the game. Paxson was the classic overachiever, someone who rarely forced shots and achieved more by textbook than talent. Crawford oozes talent and potential but sometimes is more playground than proper.

Paxson didn't hire an agent until late in his career and negotiated some of his own deals. Crawford is in the process of hiring his third agent and may know the salary of every player in the league, such is his interest in his value...

mercury news

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Paxson makes me so confused, talk about manic depressive...

"It feels good for them to say that they want me here, because I want to be here," Crawford said. "I just hope everything works out. I definitely think I've matured on and off the court."
This quote brought a smile to my face. No doubt, Jamal has struggled in his Bulls tenure and the team likewise has not showed faith in him. But, I have seen a mini-metamorphous over his last 10 games. JC is starting to put it together on both sides of the court, and it looks like he is taking the first steps towards developing sg Rip Hamilton/R Miller skills. It would be a pity if he struggled all this time for some else to enjoy the reward.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a MINOR point but...

it's interesting how the headline changes from "Suddenly coachable" to "Maturity secures Jamal a spot". call me a just little cynical, but i go with the first version. i think pax, for all his wishy-washy maybes of recent weeks has basically come to the conclusion that jamal will be a bull until at least this summer. there is no new sentiment expressed about re-signing him - he seems to be standing firm on what he feels jamal is worth. perhaps he was shopping him and got very little offered in return (see Isiah Thomas) and said, thanks, but no thanks. so that's smart. and i think he sees the whole thing finally coming together, despite the 1-6 record from the road trip - we played harder and better in most games and unfortunately it didn't show up in the result. hey, i am all for positive spin, and that is what this article is. i mean how do you go from yelling at someone in the locker room about how this is a MAN'S GAME to a few short weeks later saying the kid really has grown up and it's showing. it's called positive spin for those playing at home. but in reality there is really nothing new here.

tribune

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
and still more spin...wheeeeee.

"I came into this league expecting to play the point," Crawford said. "Now I was being told to score first and create second. I was cool with it because I feel like I can do either. Let's face it, you're never going to turn down the opportunity to score."

"He played just 17 games in college, so he's still a young player," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said. "Any player like that might need a few seasons to find his niche, define his role. He's a very gifted passer and ball-handler, but a lot of what separates a point guard from a scorer has to do with mentality."

Bulls general manager John Paxson all along has maintained trading Crawford is a longshot. Others around the league think such statements are an attempt to drive up Crawford's value before the Feb. 19 trading deadline.

round and round we go.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/today/KCC/news/285049712542980.html

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
There is some serious spin going on here. I think he is firm in that he either trades him before the 19th, lets someone else pay him big money this summer, or Crawford does not get big money offers and Paxson signs him on the cheap. The driving up trade value arguement with these comments is a valid one. Question is will it work?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I take Pax at face value on this. Jamal is clearly improving and doing what is asked of him. He won't be traded unless someone makes Pax an offer he can't refuse which doesn't appear likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts