Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...ullskc,1,6184776.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"Playoff basketball is almost a completely different game, and we have a young team," Paxson said. "But these young players have shown the ability to handle most any challenge they've encountered this season."

That dynamic begs this question: What can this Bulls team accomplish in the postseason?

"It's too early to tell because we don't know which players we're going to have," Paxson said. "If we were at full strength, I think we'd have certain expectations. But we're not going to be because Luol [Deng] is out. I'm expecting Eddy [Curry] to hopefully be back."

Indeed, the availability of Curry and the Bulls' opponent will be determining factors in that answer, whether or not home-court advantage is secured.

The Bulls should know more about Curry's irregular heartbeat on Tuesday. The race for home-court advantage and a first-round opponent—likely either Indiana or Washington—could go down to the last game. The Bulls close the regular season April 20 at Indiana.

The Bulls also play in Washington on Wednesday. They are 2-1 against the Pacers, 1-1 against the Wizards.

"Who knows what we can accomplish?" guard Kirk Hinrich said. "It's a young team, but we're respected around the league now. One thing we're going to do is play hard and play smart."

...Antonio Davis, the senior member in terms of playoff experience with 87 games, plans to talk to his younger teammates.

"I'll say something after the last game of the season," Davis said. "The games are different, but you still need to just relax and do what you've been doing, even if it's playoffs. Don't go out there thinking you have to do something extraordinary. Play team basketball."

Besides Davis, Othella Harrington and Adrian Griffin have played in 19 playoff games each, Jannero Pargo in 11 and Eric Piatkowski and Frank Williams, who will be left off the playoff roster, four each.

Paxson is counting on a lot from his veteran players.

"They've been the unsung heroes," he said. "All our young guys get the attention, which they should because they've been terrific. But our vets have no ego and have been the stabilizing force of the team. They don't let our young guys get too high or too low. They're realistic in everything they do. I don't know how you put into words what they've meant to this group, but we wouldn't be where we are without them."

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Frank Williams off the playoff roster!

Dammit Skiles!

:curse:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Pay Ton said:
Frank Williams off the playoff roster!

Dammit Skiles!

:curse:
i can't believe i thought frankie was the only "value" we got in return from the crawford transaction. was i ever wrong. othella's career is experiencing a rebirth, and i would love to have a motivated dikembe back. it's too bad he needed to play for a contender. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
such sweet thunder said:
i can't believe i thought frankie was the only "value" we got in return from the crawford transaction. was i ever wrong. othella's career is experiencing a rebirth, and i would love to have a motivated dikembe back. it's too bad he needed to play for a contender. :biggrin:
Don't forget about Griffin and Pike too...both have been key contributers at times. Key word being "at times".

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
I'm going to cry out of disgust when Jared Reiner wins his NBA champion ring.

So playoff roster

Kirk Hinrich
Ben Gordon
Chris Duhon
Jannero Pargo
Eric Piatowski
Adrian Griffin
Andres Nocioni
Jared Reiner
Tyson Chandler
Antonio Davis
Othella Harrington
Eddy Curry

I think personally it would be best talent wise to sign someone for the 12th spot and get Reiner off, because it looks like the NBA waived the playoffs fa signing thing this year, but I think its best for team chemistry and Jared Reiners feelings to keep Jared off the playoff roster.

Does Frank still get a ring even though he isn't active for the playoffs, or do you just have to be part of the team?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Mutombo's done well for Houston...to a great extent because the Rockets are a slowdown team. He might not have been a good fit here because of Skiles' insistence that his guards push the ball up the floor at every opportunity.

Harrington, Griffin recently, and to a lesser extent Piatkowski have become invaluable members of this team, lending the one thing its lacked for years: selflessness and stability.

The real unsung hero though, has to be Antonio Davis, who set the tone for this team during the preseason against Washington. Forget about his statistics. Fact is he's never been much of a stat guy. He just leads. He has the ability to relate to young players as evidenced by the way he helped with Harrington's maturation process in Indiana and now with all the young players in Chicago.

All I can say is thank God for all the crusties. Without their presence we wouldn't be a playoff team with the 3rd best record in the Eastern Conference.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Kismet said:
Mutombo's done well for Houston...to a great extent because the Rockets are a slowdown team. He might not have been a good fit here because of Skiles' insistence that his guards push the ball up the floor at every opportunity.

Harrington, Griffin recently, and to a lesser extent Piatkowski have become invaluable members of this team, lending the one thing its lacked for years: selflessness and stability.

The real unsung hero though, has to be Antonio Davis, who set the tone for this team during the preseason against Washington. Forget about his statistics. Fact is he's never been much of a stat guy. He just leads. He has the ability to relate to young players as evidenced by the way he helped with Harrington's maturation process in Indiana and now with all the young players in Chicago.

All I can say is thank God for all the crusties. Without their presence we wouldn't be a playoff team with the 3rd best record in the Eastern Conference.

Lets not forget all the work that Curry, Kirk, and Tyson, and Ben did to get us here too.

·
Bulls/Chisox Fan
1,504 Posts
sloth said:
Does Frank still get a ring even though he isn't active for the playoffs, or do you just have to be part of the team?
Didn't everyone in the entire pistons organization (including front office) get a ring last year? I may be wrong though.. I could've swore I heard that somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts