Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From elsewhere on the net...Pax said in a radio interview today that...

1) That what he told Jamal and Eddy in the locker room rant was that this was a man's gme and they needed to play like men (i.e. with strength, detemination, and without being intimidated or afraid to play hard);

2) That the issue with Eddy might be one of changing his fundamental nature, and being unsure if that task was possible;
He also said:

6) That he is not going to trade talent for grinders;

7) That he badly wants Eddy and Jamal to achieve, perhaps more so than they do.
back to lurking...

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Not trading talent for grinders is good. I just hope he knows the difference.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Not trading talent for grinders is good. I just hope he knows the difference.
well he didnt earlier in the Rose Marshall trade for AD and JYD. Whatever you guys want to think of Rose, that was the ultimate trading talent for Grinders trade

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trading talent for Grinders trade

Rose had become such a nuisance that his presence offset his talent.

He's talking about the current roster.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!
trading talent for Grinders trade

Rose had become such a nuisance that his presence offset his talent.

He's talking about the current roster.
So we give him a do over? the point is, he already did what he said he wouldnt do. I am wondering if he learned his lesson?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

the point is, he already did what he said he wouldnt do.
And theres a valid explanation for it too...as given.

You'd rather have rotten chemistry on the team?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!

And theres a valid explanation for it too...as given.

You'd rather have rotten chemistry on the team?
My point is that Marshall and Rose had talent. patience would have served the Bulls well. Here is the question mate. Are we better now that they are gone? Nope

A better thing to do would have been to trade Marshall on his own, he had a lot of value. Then trade Rose later. I dont see this current club with a great deal of chemistry or now talent. Id rather have a team with talent and no chemistry over a team with NO TALENT and NO CHEMISTRY

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
A better thing to do would have been to trade Marshall on his own, he had a lot of value. Then trade Rose later.
I agree with that, or we should have kept Marshall and delt Rose individually for whatever we could get. I still cant believe MARSHALL was the throw in. He was probably our best player.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts

I agree with that, or we should have kept Marshall and delt Rose individually for whatever we could get. I still cant believe MARSHALL was the throw in. He was probably our best player.
I wasnt a huge Marshall fan. Not because of him but because the bulls had so many 4s already. But Currys best games have come when Marshall played next to him. I think marshalls ability to knock down long shots opened up for Eddy.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I agree, and think that's why Curry plays better with Chandler and Fizer than with JYD, Davis or Blount.

This is one of the major reasons the Curry/Chandler combo needs both pieces to work. If one of them flops, I don't think the other will ever to be able to get over the hump to even be a yearly all-star.

I think this is also the reason you saw Chandler taking shots from 15-17ft before his injury this year.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
this is very interesting. over at the other board the interview was partly transcribed from the SCORE interview >> (see link from GB above)..

and pax says:

"Well you know, I knew early in the year that when we made that trade with Rose and Marshall, I knew I was giving up scoring. We probably put a little too much burden on Jamal to be our scorer, he's shown that he has the ability to do it, it's just that he hasn't been consistent. You know, right now we're kind of a "dis-jointed" team. Some nights we look decent on offense, and on those nights our Defense lets us down. And on some nights, you can say just the opposite. Here's the thing...We've always had expectations coming in and we haven't met them at all. We've had trouble with the ability to do the right things in key situations in games. But my whole thought process in this whole thing is that I have to stay confident that our young kids are going to develop into players."

"We did, and maybe it was unfair of me thinking back on it, but I dont think it's wrong to put expectations on people, I dont care how young you are. I feel they came into this buisiness and accepted all the money and those things, so I think you have to have expectations on them. But maybe it was MY mistake that I put them on a bit too much, and a bit too early."

sounds like he wants jamal and eddy to succeed AS BULLS. there is nothing wrong, imo, about having a high expectation level. and he admits that maybe his was too high for these guys...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
this is very interesting. over at the other board the interview was partly transcribed from the SCORE interview >> (see link from GB above)..

and pax says:

"Well you know, I knew early in the year that when we made that trade with Rose and Marshall, I knew I was giving up scoring. We probably put a little too much burden on Jamal to be our scorer, he's shown that he has the ability to do it, it's just that he hasn't been consistent. You know, right now we're kind of a "dis-jointed" team. Some nights we look decent on offense, and on those nights our Defense lets us down. And on some nights, you can say just the opposite. Here's the thing...We've always had expectations coming in and we haven't met them at all. We've had trouble with the ability to do the right things in key situations in games. But my whole thought process in this whole thing is that I have to stay confident that our young kids are going to develop into players."

"We did, and maybe it was unfair of me thinking back on it, but I dont think it's wrong to put expectations on people, I dont care how young you are. I feel they came into this buisiness and accepted all the money and those things, so I think you have to have expectations on them. But maybe it was MY mistake that I put them on a bit too much, and a bit too early."

sounds like he wants jamal and eddy to succeed AS BULLS. there is nothing wrong, imo, about having a high expectation level. and he admits that maybe his was too high for these guys...
I agree but I think Pax learned a big lesson this summer in that the people surrounding the talent is just as important as the core talent.Him not going after "real players" because maybe he felt they had enough just wont cut it.

Him chasing a gimpy Pip 25% player in Pip over a younger everday player Posey already knowing that Pips backup (erob) was a unreliable as they come.The lynton johnson fiasco. the numerous Dupree clones the bulls never inquired about during the offseason or draft time .

A team in the nba that is not moving forward is moving backward .

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
and that's why they call them lessons cause hopefully you learn something from them!!!

we'll see if pax really did soon enough i fear.

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts

So we give him a do over? the point is, he already did what he said he wouldnt do. I am wondering if he learned his lesson?
Paxson has said several times (including during today's radio interview) that he would still make that deal if he had it to do over again. So you can assume that he hasn't learned whatever lesson you're hoping he learns.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nater</b>!

Paxson has said several times, including during today's radio interview, that he would still make that deal if he had it to do over again. So you can assume that he hasn't learned whatever lesson you're hoping he learns.
Im just saying he said he wouldnt trade talent for "grinders". But I call Jalen and Donyell, Talent, and I call JYD and Davis, Grinders.

Or trading Mason, untapped talent, for brunson, piece of crap.

So for him to say he wont do that now must mean he learned his lesson. Either that or he sees things differently then I do.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Perhaps Marshall wasn't a throw in. Perhaps his inclusion in the deal was the only way to get anyone to take Rose off the Bulls hands. In order to deal Rose seperately Paxson would have to find someone willing to take a player owed more than $50 million through the 06-07 season. In view of how he was playing for the Bulls this season, can you think of anyone who might have been willing to do so?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Im just saying he said he wouldnt trade talent for "grinders". But I call Jalen and Donyell, Talent, and I call JYD and Davis, Grinders.

So for him to say he wont do that now must mean he learned his lesson. Either that or he sees things differently then I do.
It also might mean that he's filled his "grinder" quota with the addition of Williams and Davis. Lets face it. Prior to the trade how many "grinders" could we count on the Bulls roster?

Two seems to be enough for now. Paxson is sending a clear message that all his efforts are now being directed towards acquiring a highly skilled swingman. You don't normally think of your two's and three's as "grinders."

So I've got to believe he's being truthful when he says that he wants to add skill and not trade it away for anymore blue-collar types. And that just makes sense, doesn't it?

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts

maybe the fact that he already made one trade like that is exactly the reason why he's on record saying he won't be making any now. He probably realizes that this team now has its share of "grinders" with AD and JYD, who would be perfectly adequate as support to a better/readier nucleus of "talent" than we have. and I think Kismet might have a point...Rose was an albatross for us. Maybe Marshall was who the Raps really wanted and Rose for AD was just a mutual swap of unwanted big contract/mediocre production players, who might do better in a new setting. I'd almost go so far as to say, given how crappy Jalen has been ALL year, Donyell was the only "talent" in that trade. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts