Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rlucas you can back me up on this. I remember you saying that BJ and Myers pushed hard for drafting Pietrus # 7 but Paxson instead went with Hinrich. I am starting to believe that he did this because he KNEW that he did not want Crawford as his PG here any longer than he had to. With the Jay injury he had to get another PG in here so he could eventually move Crawford. Of course if this is true then why send BJ and Myers over there to Europe to see Pietrus, other than maybe posturing? If that is true wouldn't he let BJ and Myers know about this, so they would not get upset(as Rlucas said they did) about not taking their advice and drafting Pietrus? Interesting situation to say the least.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
Rlucas you can back me up on this. I remember you saying that BJ and Myers pushed hard for drafting Pietrus # 7 but Paxson instead went with Hinrich. I am starting to believe that he did this because he KNEW that he did not want Crawford as his PG here any longer than he had to. With the Jay injury he had to get another PG in here so he could eventually move Crawford. Of course if this is true then why send BJ and Myers over there to Europe to see Pietrus, other than maybe posturing? If that is true wouldn't he let BJ and Myers know about this, so they would not get upset(as Rlucas said they did) about not taking their advice and drafting Pietrus? Interesting situation to say the least.
Pure speculation and one that has been supported by others with inside sources (ie a certain realgm poster). Maybe Blizzy can confirm it. But The word is that BJ and Myers loved Pietrus and were pissed that they were sent halfway around to watch a player 4 days before the draft and then hear Pax say he would never take a guy that he hasnt seen himself. but its all a moot point now. Kirk has been a good pick. Pietrus has played well in stretches but is stuck behind a stud in Jrich. So far Kirk has won the competition between the 2. If there was a way to get both guys in the same backcourt, that would be some great D

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my point is if Paxson knew he was going PG wouldn't BJ and Myers know about this? Why keep it to yourself like that? Seems there was something else going on. Oh but I agree in retrospect Hinrich was very much the right pick. Just wondering what the deal was between those 3 guys in our organization. The Gar Forman stuff has made me think about this lately. It seems Forman and BJ have the same job?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It seems to me that he goal was to move Rose all along and that Jays injury put the halts on a Rose/pick/marshall in some type of combo FOR Walker+ filler deal.

When Walkers deal expired at the end of the year it wouldve left us with erob being the highest paid bull and tons of cap space to either re- up the 3c's or play in the fa market .

the speculation could go on and on in whichever direction you would like to spin it :D

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I know you can speculate a million different ways I just wanted to point out why would Paxson not inform BJ and Myers that he wanted to go PG with that pick(to replace Crawford) and instead let them go to Europe and see Pietrus and then have them get upset because they feel their time was wasted. Strange situation.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
My understanding was that Pax had some interest in drafting a sf and was going to go have a look at Pietrus. Then he talked with Scottie and found Scottie had a high interest level of playing for the Bulls so Paxson changed his mind about going for a sf and cancelled his trip to see Pietrus.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
My understanding was that Pax had some interest in drafting a sf and was going to go have a look at Pietrus. Then he talked with Scottie and found Scottie had a high interest level of playing for the Bulls so Paxson changed his mind about going for a sf and cancelled his trip to see Pietrus.
if that's the case, my loyalty to Pax has ebbed somewhat. I am one of the few who will, to some extent, still defend the Pippen signing. It was a noble idea that just hasn't worked out. But to cancel a trip to see a SG/SF prospect BECAUSE we might get Pip? ughhh. He was a 1 to 2 year band-aid at best and if we decided our draft strategy on his presence, even in the slightest, that was foolish. It worked out this time because Hinrich is a very good player and everything got thrown askew after Jay got hurt, but I have to question that line of thinking in principle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
At the time of the draft, we did have a lot of SG/SF (Gill, Rose, ERob, Pippen, Marshall). With that in mind, I think that the "Hinrich was drafted because Pax never wanted JC" theory doesn't hold as much weight. I think that looking at the team we genuinely needed a backup PG then.

Remember? That was when Pip was going to be a point forward to distribute the ball to Eddy (22 ppg, 10 rebs) and Jamal (20 ppg, 4 rebs, 6.5 assists). Donyell was going to be sixth man of the year and Tyson was going to be Ben Wallace part II. A defensive French project was not what we needed (he would get no playing time in our push for fourth or fifth seed in the playoffs). We needed a solid four-year guy to backup the point during our playoff push.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
Oh I know you can speculate a million different ways I just wanted to point out why would Paxson not inform BJ and Myers that he wanted to go PG with that pick(to replace Crawford) and instead let them go to Europe and see Pietrus and then have them get upset because they feel their time was wasted. Strange situation.
it certainly is strange, but it could all be more innocent than we're all making it out to be. this is just a guess, but maybe paxson was 50-50 on taking a point guard or a 3. the bulls (i.e. paxson) probably had wade, hinrich, and pietrus in that order on their board for the 7th pick. there was a chance, obviously small, that the clippers would have taken hinrich and the heat would have taken wade. in that hypothetical, paxson probably genuinely wanted myers and bj to scout pietrus in europe in case the bulls were left having to take him at #7.

that scenario sounds pretty innocent to me. although i have no better info on this than anyone else, and i'm purely speculating as i said above. just a thought.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Parabull</b>!

At the time of the draft, we did have a lot of SG/SF (Gill, Rose, ERob, Pippen, Marshall). With that in mind, I think that the "Hinrich was drafted because Pax never wanted JC" theory doesn't hold as much weight. I think that looking at the team we genuinely needed a backup PG then.

Remember? That was when Pip was going to be a point forward to distribute the ball to Eddy (22 ppg, 10 rebs) and Jamal (20 ppg, 4 rebs, 6.5 assists). Donyell was going to be sixth man of the year and Tyson was going to be Ben Wallace part II. A defensive French project was not what we needed (he would get no playing time in our push for fourth or fifth seed in the playoffs). We needed a solid four-year guy to backup the point during our playoff push.
actually at the time of the draft, Gill was a FA as was Pippen and playing Marshall at the 3 failed big time last year. Sot there was only Rose and a very gimpy Erob

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Paxson went into drafting knowing he needed a PG to push JC and an upgrade on the perimeter. He ultimately decided he needed a vet on the perimeter( i.e. someone who is not a project and can play now) and a young PG in case JC did not work out. Now did he make the right choices in FA with Gill and Pip. Well Gill has been fine but Pip has been injured. A healthy Pip and we are much better at SF but oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts