Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oue beloved GM John Paxson is most famously known for the three pointer against Suns to win the NBA title in 1993. From where I sit this upcoming summer he has a chance to go for another huge trifecta that could propel the Bulls towards another NBA title. There will be many ways to go about doing it but he has three points to accomplish in the summer of 2006 and many assets(including the cap room) to go about doing it. I will offer up one of those alternatives here.

#1) Consistent scorer

Possibilities:

Peja
Pierce
Al Harrington
Garnett

My pick: Peja. I really think we end up with this guy. Either via trade this upcoming trade deadline or signing him in free agency. He wants to go somewhere else. He likes Chicago. Skiles has an established relationship with him. He is a consistent 20 point scorer. He fits our offense. It is a no brainer. Now obviously Deng is here but you do not turn down Peja. Deng becomes another asset to use to help other areas. Deng could be traded for one of the other two points we need to address. I say though the Kings will have more interest in Deng than anyone else considering they will be losing Peja so include Deng in some sort of sign and trade for Peja freeing up more capspace to sign point # 2.....

#2) Starting center

Possibilities:

Nazr
Pryzbilla
Wright
Cato
Battie
Brezec
Ely
Nene

Chandler has to get playing time at power forward and center. He is not a full time center. It is just not condusive to his game. He needs to start at PF alongside a starting center and then have Sweetney as the third big off the bench(Chandler would then slide over to center). Trade market will be thin as well I think so look into signing some via free agency. Hence my pice of Joel Pryzbilla. He just seems like a Bull-type player. I understand his loyalty towards Portland and I can appreciate that. But lets me honest Portland is a long ways away and Joel would be a great fit here. Ely and Nazr are both Chicago boys but neither is a great fit I think. Ely is not starting material IMO and Nazr just seems lacking. I like Pryz and his aggressive style and think he would be a good sign. Third point....

3) Athletic defensive SG 6'5-6'7

This will be the toughest I think. Two draft picks on the table. Need someone who can be starting SG and be able to defend the athletic wings around the NBA. With Peja at SF and with Nocioni more PF than SF this is essential. Minute crunch could be issue since then you would have Duhon at backup PG and Gordon at backup SG. Not worried about it though. I love both guys but we have a need here that must be addressed. Skiles will figure out the rotation. Not worried about it. I think the highest draft pick should be dangled out in trade market to acquire this guy. What are the options? Not going to lie I do not know. Best case scenario. Pietrus from GS. That team has some contracts locked in there. With his knee injury the opportunity to pull this off might be there. Especially when GS needs a center and that pick from us could land them Aldrige or Boone. Other guys.....Hmmmm......how about Dahntay Jones? Decent pick....lets just hope GS is willing and lets go with that.

If Paxson can pull off getting Peja, Pryzbilla, and Pietrus he will have hit another huge trifecta and have us in good position to be an Eastern conference contender again.

Hinrich,Duhon,(Hinrich)
Pietrus,Gordon,Basden
Peja,Nocioni,(Pietrus)
Chandler,Sweetney,(Nocioni),Harrington
Pryzbilla,(Chandler),Williams(other 1st rounder)

That is 12 spots. Songalia will be brought back I think. A second rounder will be used on a Pargo replacement. Maybe Dean or someone like that. Last spot could be a guy cast off this season is Kasib Powell. They really liked him I think. Or we could just have 14 again.

Reactions: STUCKEY!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
While i like your effort, this could of been posted in another thread, rather than making a new one.

Nazr just seems lacking. I like Pryz and his aggressive style and think he would be a good sign.
Pryz to me seems to be another Tyson Chandler, do we really need another? Nazr is a decent defender, he proved that with the Spurs. Plus he would bring other qualities like knowing what it takes to win, some decent veteran leadership, etc.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Holdovers from current team + Peja + Pryzbilla + Pietrus = no better than a fourth-place finish in the Central for the foreseeable future, imo.

Whatever Peja brings to the table offensively will be more than offset by his defensive deficiencies, and by the time he takes away from Deng (imo a better two-way player right now). I also think it's a huge leap of faith to assume Peja will be as good an offensive player in our scheme as he has been in Sacramento, where there's a Princeton offense and All-Star players known for their ability to pass the ball. He wouldn't get anywhere near as many open looks here.

The thought of Przybilla and Chandler playing together makes me want to gouge my eyes out. He is every bit as offensively challenged as Chandler, and highly overrated on defense. Yes, he'll make the highlight reels with his block, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Pietrus is the most interesting of your proposed acquisitions. He is definitely a Skiles kind of guy, he can shoot from the corners, he fits a need, and he's a lock-down defender. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure I like him better than either Duhon or Gordon, the two guys whose playing time he'd eat into.

You've made an interesting thread here and laid out some good cases for your guys, so don't take what I've written as a criticism of them or of you. But I don't want to see penny-ante moves this offseason. We've got a ton of work to do to catch up to the big three in our division, and to compete with the Orlandos and Milwaukees and Charlottes in the long-haul. The assets we own need to be consolidated into a Kobe and/or Garnett level player for us to make significant strides. Either that or we put all our chips on hoping the Knicks have terrible problems this year and next, which is fairly unlikely.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
SausageKingofChicago said:
Peja ?

Eck...

I think I would rather have a Stacy Augmon neck transplant and try and blow myself
I'm right there with you . . . unfortunately, I get the sinking feeling that a max/near-max contract offer is the probable cornerstone of Pax's blueprints for Cap Space 2006.

I have beaten around the bush with this in other posts, but I am going on the record with it: right now, as I type, Luol Deng is a better player than Peja Stojakovic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Why in the wide world of sports would we trade Deng (good already, plus an an upside, young) for Peja????

When we can sign him in the summer, anyway??? For nothing.

Makes no sense at all to give up Deng, none whatsoever.

And the rest of the candidates,with the exception of said lockdown Golden State Frenchman, are not not really enticing as well...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
ScottMay said:
I'm right there with you . . . unfortunately, I get the sinking feeling that a max/near-max contract offer is the probable cornerstone of Pax's blueprints for Cap Space 2006.

I have beaten around the bush with this in other posts, but I am going on the record with it: right now, as I type, Luol Deng is a better player than Peja Stojakovic.
Another reason to be somewhat wary of Peja: he's an offensive player who has difficulty creating space and getting his own shot. This works fine in Sacramento, a team with five pretty good offensive players on the floor at all times and a crisp motion offense, and it would work fine on a team with a post presence that commands consistent double teams. Sweetney is developing but we don't exactly have either of those things right now. Also, playing Peja w/ Sweetney we would be surrendering a ton of athleticism in the frontcourt pretty much every night.

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
I'd consider giving up Deng and a 1st round pick for Peja if we got Brad Miller in the package ..but in isolation with what we've got on this team..no freaking way

And I'd only do the 1st trade if we had give Gordon, Chandler and Thomas lined up for Garnett

And.. Sweetney wasn't an aberation

And ..we were certain that the Knicks pick was going to land us LaMarcus Alridge

Other than that ..no freaking way

I agree with Mr May... one on one ..give me Deng over Peja boy

·
2,810 Posts
step said:
Nazr is a decent defender, he proved that with the Spurs. Plus he would bring other qualities like knowing what it takes to win, some decent veteran leadership, etc.
Nazr is not a decent defender

He's ranked as one of the worst in the league actually

You know when something is up in dodge when Philly, Atlanta and New York all who were desperately size challenged at the time flicked him

He's good in San Antonio... Pop can hide his defensive deficiencies against a killer defensive team structure centered around huge ball pressure from Parker and Ginobili and the agressive push em where I want em style of Bruce Bowen

Then of course there is the Tim Duncan factor

Nazr knowing what it takes to win ?

You got to be freaking kidding me. The only thing Nazr could win is a chook raffle and even then he'd have to buy all the tickets

Veteran leadership ? The wise old sage that is Nazr ? Please

Guy ain't all that

Nice back up at someone's portion of MLE that's going places and where you can hide him with heaps of depth

He's perfect on the Spurs..or the Pistons..someone like that

On a team like ours he'd get found out for the imposter he is

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
ScottMay said:
Whatever Peja brings to the table offensively will be more than offset by his defensive deficiencies, and by the time he takes away from Deng (imo a better two-way player right now).
I dont remember you saying the same thing applied to Curry, which is true.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Bags, this is the most well thought out post on how to build a championship team on this board in a long while. Great thread.

I would replace Pryz with Aldridge and get Peja and Pietrus to go with him. That team would win alot of games.

Hinrich
Pietrus
Aldridge
Chandler
Peja

Gordon
Sweetney
Deng
Duhon

Thats an almost unreal team with balance, defense, scoring, shooting. And the additions of Pietrus and Alridge give the Bulls what they lack the most, freaky athleticism. That team would do well.

Good work Bags.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nazr is not a decent defender
He's ranked as one of the worst in the league actually
Yeah, and many of the rankings have Gordon high up, i'll take that with a grain of salt.
You know when something is up in dodge when Philly, Atlanta and New York all who were desperately size challenged at the time flicked him
Much can be said the same with alot of players. Sweets is a recent one that fits that mold... look how well he's doing with us. But i suppose he's an exception to your rule.
Then of course there is the Tim Duncan factor
Tim is a phenomenal player, but the Spurs sacrificed him on the defensive end having him guard the weaker big man majority of the time. While Duncan ain't no slouch, neither is Mohammed.
Nazr knowing what it takes to win ?

You got to be freaking kidding me. The only thing Nazr could win is a chook raffle and even then he'd have to buy all the tickets
He's been a part of a winning championship team, but i suppose that means nothing. He just sat there on the bench and collected the ring when it was over.
Veteran leadership ? The wise old sage that is Nazr ? Please
When you have a 2nd year player as a captain, you know you're struggling in that category.
Nice back up at someone's portion of MLE that's going places and where you can hide him with heaps of depth
Like the Spurs did? Nesterovic and Horry are the other two "big" men, that's the epitome of depth right there.
On a team like ours he'd get found out for the imposter he is
He's no superstar, but i haven't seen anyone label him as such. Considering our only true big man can't play the 5 spot effectively, taking a shot on Mohammed would be pointless then...

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I would like Peja and Pietrus. And think we can get both. I would wait on peja until the offseason. Why give up pieces if we don't have to?

We need a center that is better than the blazer center. Why not get AD again? We sign him for very little, he comes back home in offseason.

We draft a center or two in the draft and we are done.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
We need a center that is better than the blazer center. Why not get AD again? We sign him for very little, he comes back home in offseason.
The rumours about him being traded stirred him up a bit. He wishes it weren't true as he doesn't wish to move again. So the likelihood of him returning is becomming quite slim.

We draft a center or two in the draft and we are done.
If it was only that easy, hopefully our midrange pick can obtain a center but otherwise we might have to wait for next year.

·
2,810 Posts
step said:
Yeah, and many of the rankings have Gordon high up, i'll take that with a grain of salt.

Much can be said the same with alot of players. Sweets is a recent one that fits that mold... look how well he's doing with us. But i suppose he's an exception to your rule.

Tim is a phenomenal player, but the Spurs sacrificed him on the defensive end having him guard the weaker big man majority of the time. While Duncan ain't no slouch, neither is Mohammed.

He's been a part of a winning championship team, but i suppose that means nothing. He just sat there on the bench and collected the ring when it was over.

When you have a 2nd year player as a captain, you know you're struggling in that category.

Like the Spurs did? Nesterovic and Horry are the other two "big" men, that's the epitome of depth right there.

He's no superstar, but i haven't seen anyone label him as such. Considering our only true big man can't play the 5 spot effectively, taking a shot on Mohammed would be pointless then...
Nazr was a back up in Atlanta

Nuff said

NB : Sweetney hasn't bounced around to 4 different teams in a 6 year career

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
El Chapu said:
I dont remember you saying the same thing applied to Curry, which is true.
It's apples and oranges, but since you brought it up, I've always said that Curry was more than capable of holding his own against his own cover. He was terrible with help (but getting better), but he defends centers straight-up better than Chandler does.

But as you'll surely acknowledge, on the average NBA threes are a far more potent and explosive group than NBA fives are. We know for a fact that a top-rated NBA defense can exist without a great defensive center (last year's Bulls). I don't know that a great defense can have such a weak link at one of the wing positions.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
ScottMay said:
It's apples and oranges, but since you brought it up, I've always said that Curry was more than capable of holding his own against his own cover. He was terrible with help (but getting better), but he defends centers straight-up better than Chandler does.

But as you'll surely acknowledge, on the average NBA threes are a far more potent and explosive group than NBA fives are. We know for a fact that a top-rated NBA defense can exist without a great defensive center (last year's Bulls). I don't know that a great defense can have such a weak link at one of the wing positions.
It goes beyond defending your man. Curry most of the part was a black hole as far as D goes, although he was much improved during his last run with the Bulls. Do you think any team would consider sitting Peja during the 4th quarter? Also people talk about Peja's D as if he were a worse defender than Jalen Rose!

IMO people are against signing Peja because of Deng, but they defend their position building arguments against Peja....but their heart is with Luol.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
What we need is a CRUNCH TIME SCORER. I am not sure if Peja has done that over the years. Consistently, he is known to disappear in the playoffs. I do agree that Chandler needs to be a parttime Center and Power Forward. He is not a fulltime center. Pzyl is cool but not much of a scorer. I am not sure how that fits. Here is something that we can do:

Gordon/Deng for Kobe
Sign Peja in the summer

:)

Hinrich
Kobe
Peja
Sweetney
Chandler

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Kobe takes pretty much most of our leftover cap space - he earns a whopping $17,718,750 next year.

·
Registered
658 Posts
This season (or offseason):

Don't trade TT, that expiring contract is huge
Gordon/Deng (Nocioni)/Knicks 1st rounder for Paul Pierce
Sign Nene for less, since the interest would be LESS w/that injury and the nugs seem to be doing OK w/o him, Camby has really picked up the slack. If we DO make a nice offer they will be hard pressed to match.
Draft a Duhon-like kid w/our remaining 1st round draft pick

Then this is a lineup I think would make us feared as hell (and set for the next five years, at least):

C - Nene
PF - Chandler
SF - Pierce
SG - Hinrich
PG - Duhon

Bench:

Pargo (his playing time increases w/Ben gone...IF we have the balls/cap space to give him a proper contract this time, I don't think he'll take less than a mil again)
Sweets
Deng (Nocioni)
Songaila
Othella
Allen
Pike
Basden
1st rounder
2nd rounder

This would be a solid 15-man rotation. That starting lineup would be absolutely lethal, and with Sweetney, whichever of the forwards is left, Othella, Pargo, and Songaila leading the way off the bench, I think we'd have a legitimate shot at being a contender.

The best part about all this is that it's feasible. Again, Boston's not playing well and from what you guys always say, Pierce wants to leave, plus Denver is doing well w/o Nene and we've always been eyeing him.

-Z-

1 - 20 of 57 Posts