Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp

Some interesting quotes.

"We're going to have a need for several key positions this summer - shooting guard and small forward. We just have to do our work."
Is this an indication of JC's future with the Bulls?

Paxson plans to put an emphasis on international scouting. Many of the best NBA teams got where they are by making smart choices with foreign players. The obvious examples include San Antonio (Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker), Sacramento (Peja Stojakovic) and Dallas (Dirk Nowitzki).

"That's a priority for us," Paxson said. "That's Ivica's job - to point me in the right direction. The reason it's so appealing and important right now is the most skilled guys are coming from there. Guys who can pass, shoot and handle it."

Paxson will make his first trip to Europe after the Feb. 19 trade deadline. He figures to return in the spring when college season is over but the Europeans are still playing.
rlucas celebrate! We are scouting international players. Too bad it's probably the year where most of the international prospects won't be too appealling to the Bulls, as many are projects or players with much development, something we have enough of. However, it's good to see Paxson making a real effort on the international scene. Too part it has taken the Bulls years and a new GM to realise others play basketball and are good at it.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
very interesting read Benny. I went from an optimist to a pessimst on the bulls so let me give you the reason why I am not celebrating. First off, Ivika has done an absolutely lousy job over there. The Bulls are woefully understaffed in Europe and Dukan isnt very good. A team like Dallas has 11 FULLTIME European scouts, we have one not so good one. I doubt Dukan points Pax in the right direction. Second off, this up coming draft isnt going to be so hot for Euros and internationals. I dont want to hang the balance of the franchise on anyone who is coming out in this crop. And I dont want our management to put too much emphasis on this crop. There are some very good Free Agents in Europe that the Bulls should be scouting, Arvydas Macijauskas for instance and Andres Nocioni come to mind. That is where Pax should concentrate short term. Point #3 and its the good one. We are back in the lottery in 2005. That looks fairly obvious. and the 2005 crop looks to be the most internationally loaded crop in history. If Pax would focus on those kids (Petro, Nemanja, Yi Jianlin, Samardzinski, Tahirou Sani, etc) then its a step in the right direction

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
very interesting read Benny. I went from an optimist to a pessimst on the bulls so let me give you the reason why I am not celebrating. First off, Ivika has done an absolutely lousy job over there. The Bulls are woefully understaffed in Europe and Dukan isnt very good. A team like Dallas has 11 FULLTIME European scouts, we have one not so good one. I doubt Dukan points Pax in the right direction. Second off, this up coming draft isnt going to be so hot for Euros and internationals. I dont want to hang the balance of the franchise on anyone who is coming out in this crop. And I dont want our management to put too much emphasis on this crop. There are some very good Free Agents in Europe that the Bulls should be scouting, Arvydas Macijauskas for instance and Andres Nocioni come to mind. That is where Pax should concentrate short term. Point #3 and its the good one. We are back in the lottery in 2005. That looks fairly obvious. and the 2005 crop looks to be the most internationally loaded crop in history. If Pax would focus on those kids (Petro, Nemanja, Yi Jianlin, Samardzinski, Tahirou Sani, etc) then its a step in the right direction
Dallas has 11 full time scouts. That is amazing. Cuban really has all bases covered, and is willing to do anything to win. Now I know why you're pessimistic about our Euro scouting. Hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

As for Nocioni and Macijauskas, what type of money would they be looking at as FA's. The full MLE? Half the MLE? Would payouts be involved for any of these guys.

As for Paxson's comments on needed to fill SG, maybe he knows he won't have Gill next season. Gill may have been looking at having his final season in his home town. But still, it isn't encouraging for Jamal, but it seems so foolish of Paxson to be giving the impression that Crawford is on the way out. Maybe he is bluffing, letting most teams think we'll let JC walk, teams then have lower offers and we match? Think that's possible? Would be cunning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts