Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though Payton's tender back keeps threatening to disrupt the point guard's playing time, last night wasn't going to be the occasion.

Payton, despite a herniated disc that is causing sciatic pain to shoot down below his right knee, pronounced himself fit to play despite misgivings from the coaching staff.

Though he is admittedly in pain, and has been offered the option of resting to help the back and prepare for the playoffs, the 36-year-old veteran has no desire to take a seat.

``Not right now,'' said Payton, who had eight points and six assists in 38 minutes. ``I don't want to take (a rest) now. You don't want a situation where missing games at the end of the year like this would hurt our chemistry. (The back) is better than what it was.''

The Celtics are willing to go along with this approach to a point. Payton will have an MRI test tomorrow to see if more drastic action is needed.
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=75280

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
aquaitious said:
Marcus Banks anyone?

Or maybe we should stick with Delonte and keep watching him put up Kedrick Brown shots?
Doc will probably play West 48 a night if Payton's out. Banks is going to be terrific, just probably not here, which is sad.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
y do u not want payton i luv him....i wanna see how he helps us in tha playoffs...i love banks but delonte is going to be better...like tom heinsohn said he jus needs his playing time more shots and a majority to fall and whatch out NBA cuz he gun be slammin....

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
WestSydeBalla said:
y do u not want payton i luv him....i wanna see how he helps us in tha playoffs...i love banks but delonte is going to be better...like tom heinsohn said he jus needs his playing time more shots and a majority to fall and whatch out NBA cuz he gun be slammin....
Payton's good and all, but he's not getting any younger, and his defense is killing us. In the Knicks game, when any of the Knicks' PG's did any kind of drive to the hoop, another player had to help Payton keep track of him, which left a guy (Crawford) always open.

Banks stays with his man, he pressures them, and steals balls like candy from a baby. He's not even a bad shooter and a GREAT distributer, if not our best right now. He can take apart the whole defense.

West on the other hand, I don't know what he is. Recently he didn't look like a Point Guard, nor a Shooting Guard. Right now, I think he's best suited for Bench Guard, as with him on the floor is like playing with 4 men. The offense doesn't go through him (because he can only make simple passes) and being a spot up shooter isn't going well now either. If Doc benches him, lets Banks get the backup minutes, maybe it will light a fire under Wests' ***, but as of right now, he hasn't shown anything.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
aquaitious said:
Payton's good and all, but he's not getting any younger, and his defense is killing us. In the Knicks game, when any of the Knicks' PG's did any kind of drive to the hoop, another player had to help Payton keep track of him, which left a guy (Crawford) always open.

Banks stays with his man, he pressures them, and steals balls like candy from a baby. He's not even a bad shooter and a GREAT distributer, if not our best right now. He can take apart the whole defense.

West on the other hand, I don't know what he is. Recently he didn't look like a Point Guard, nor a Shooting Guard. Right now, I think he's best suited for Bench Guard, as with him on the floor is like playing with 4 men. The offense doesn't go through him (because he can only make simple passes) and being a spot up shooter isn't going well now either. If Doc benches him, lets Banks get the backup minutes, maybe it will light a fire under Wests' ***, but as of right now, he hasn't shown anything.

west is more of an off the bench bring a spark and hit a few clutch shots and hustle guy...i can't see him being a PG yet...marcus needs time..he deserves it

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Just saw the report on Fox25. GP had to stop practicing today after 20 minutes. His MRI revealed nothing, but it is suspected that Payton has a herniated disc that is rubbing on a nerve. That is causing pain in his back and into his leg. A bit of an issue there.

Doc said that he is not being ruled out for the Dallas game on Wednesday.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hello Mr. Banks.

I'm not glad Payton is injured, but Banks has been pretty good this year and it'd be best to limit GP's minutes and let Marcus log some with Delonte occasionally filling in.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lets hope he can make it for Wednesday....

Also, do you think that, thats something that would need to have surgerey on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts