PPG
-----
Penny- 21.5
Kobe- 20.8

It's always fun to compare!

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Penny was a better creator but Kobe is a better scorer.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Hardaway
Penny was a better creator but Kobe is a better scorer.
AGREE.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Kobe is so overrated! :yes:

If there was any other star on there with Shaq they would win a championship.

Shaq+Kobe=championship

Shaq+A.I.=championship

Shaq+Pierce= championship

What is the common denominator here? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Don't forget that people were hailing Penny as a top 5 player in the league when he played alongside Shaq as well.

Kobe's true test will come only after he ceases leaning on a rather big shoulder... and that wont happen until the big fella retires

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
Kobe is so overrated! :yes:

If there was any other star on there with Shaq they would win a championship.

Shaq+Kobe=championship

Shaq+A.I.=championship

Shaq+Pierce= championship

What is the common denominator here? :rolleyes:
anyone who watched the sa series could have easily come to the conclusion that kobe+duncan=championship. :rolleyes:

shaq's the most dominant player in the game. but he's got a pretty good situation in la also.

maybe we should give rings to all the players that could have possibly won a championship under the proper circumstances. why don't we start loading the hall of fame with all the players that could have accomplished much more if just given the opportunity. :rolleyes:

it sounds like shaq can't lose, and kobe can't win. if la loses, it's because kobe couldn't get it done, and many other players could have. if la wins, it's all because of shaq, and kobe's still replaceable. so, all those times that kobe does the things necessary for la to win, all the times he rises to the occassion, those are irrelevant, because to some, he'll get no credit anyway.

btw, penny was a great player. truly could have had a hall of fame career. had all the tools to be great (and was great for a short span). arguably the best guard in the league for a short period ('95 before jordan came back - also started strong in '96 when shaq was out). at his best, imo, he still falls short of the player kobe is today, overall. and shaq's certainly better off with kobe next to him, a guy with the killer instinct to close out games, to take over. penny didn't have kobe's head, or his heart.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kobe and Duncan would probably win a championship, but Shaq and Duncan might never lose a game.......

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by kflo

anyone who watched the sa series could have easily come to the conclusion that kobe+duncan=championship. :rolleyes:

shaq's the most dominant player in the game. but he's got a pretty good situation in la also.

maybe we should give rings to all the players that could have possibly won a championship under the proper circumstances. why don't we start loading the hall of fame with all the players that could have accomplished much more if just given the opportunity. :rolleyes:

it sounds like shaq can't lose, and kobe can't win. if la loses, it's because kobe couldn't get it done, and many other players could have. if la wins, it's all because of shaq, and kobe's still replaceable. so, all those times that kobe does the things necessary for la to win, all the times he rises to the occassion, those are irrelevant, because to some, he'll get no credit anyway.

btw, penny was a great player. truly could have had a hall of fame career. had all the tools to be great (and was great for a short span). arguably the best guard in the league for a short period ('95 before jordan came back - also started strong in '96 when shaq was out). at his best, imo, he still falls short of the player kobe is today, overall. and shaq's certainly better off with kobe next to him, a guy with the killer instinct to close out games, to take over. penny didn't have kobe's head, or his heart.
Good post I agree with you completely

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Originally posted by KC
Kobe and Duncan would probably win a championship, but Shaq and Duncan might never lose a game.......
or, they might lose more than the lakers do now. they may never lose a game, or shaq may be better off with kobe.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by kflo

or, they might lose more than the lakers do now. they may never lose a game, or shaq may be better off with kobe.
Yeah, and Kobe and Duncan may lose more than the Spurs do now..... Maybe.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Penny and Shaq could have built an amazing dynasty. Nick Anderson (when he could still shoot), Dennis Scott, Horace Grant... Penny and SHAQ?? They actually handled Jordan in his comeback year in 95, albeit he wasn't at the top of his game, in Penny's second season in the league and Shaq's third. If they had stayed together, although they wouldn't have had much money available for anyone else, it easily could have been the Lakers story in Orlando. Darrell Armstrong would have emerged and probably would have made allowances in his contract to help the team. Horace Grant and Nick Anderson could have been there too.

Penny would start at SF but play a Pippen-like ball controlling role, with Darrell Armstrong used more for penetration-kicks or outside shooting.

Armstrong-Anderson-Penny-Grant-Shaq

Please. Tell me that's not a way better team than

Fisher-Kobe-Fox-Walker-Shaq

Orlando could have had it all. It's weird that I've always been an Orlando fan, third place in the teams that I root for after the Bulls and the Sixers....

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Kobe is the better overall because of his toughness mentally. Kobe tended to be more Jordan-like with his excellent mid-range game. While Penny often doesn't use it but instead drawing double teams on the drive to look for his teammates. But don't get me wrong, Penny doesn't have a consistent on-the-move jump shot while I think Kobe is mastered at that.

While I think Penny has the clear edge in ball handling because he was a full-time ball handler not like Kobe has a smaller guy teaming up with him to dribble against a SG as opposed to Penny dribbled against the true pgs full time.

Penny was a much smarter player and he knows how to defer to Shaq at such a young age. He often told Shaq where the ball is supposed to go when Shaq was double teamed.

Kobe is a much better scorer at least his mindset thinks shoot then second. Kobe is a much harder worker that always hard off on his game and bring the best out of his capability.

I don't know if Kobe is far more clutch than Penny because when Shaq was injured for some 26 games in 95-96. I recalled Penny hit 5 game winning shots and a few buzzer beaters in the absence of Shaq.

I think Penny of 95-96 can take Kobe out of the game because Penny was tricky with the ball and so. But Kobe will surely go right at Penny and draw some fouls.

I like Penny but Kobe is a bit better as an individual player imo.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Now, that was a truly unbiased account of the strengths and weaknesses of both players!

Penny is one of the smartest players I have ever seen - offensively. His split second decision making for the team's best advantage is & was quite wonderful to observe.

Kobe has more of a scorer's mentality, while Penny has more of a playmaker's mentality. Kobe tries harder on defense, but the difference there isn't considerable, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It semms like every thread that has Kobe mentioned becomes a bash Kobe page.

I belive any team with Shaq would be awesome. Penny would still be a top 10 player in the league if he hadnt have gotten injured and injured and injured again.

Same goes for Grant Hill

And yes i agree with John. Penny is a better creator while Kobe is a better scorer

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Penny Hardaway was a very good player for many years but KOBE is one of the all time greats. PENNY'S MAIN PROBLEM WAS PROBABLY NOT HIS IT WAS HIS COACH HE SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE A POINT GUARD THATS WHY HE WAS INJURED TRYING TO CHASE ALL THOSE SMALL GUARDS AROUND RUINED HIS KNEE'S, he should have been a shooting guard or point small forward but the pg position totally shot his knee's he was a great athlete early in his career but the wear and tear of a bigger player chasing small guards just wore his body down, Penny's stats are only COMPARABLE TO KOBE'S BECAUSE KOBE CAME IN STRAIGHT FROM HIGHSCHOOL AND DIDN'T GET THE SAME PLAYING TIME AND BECAUSE HE WAS TOO INEXPERIENCED , trying putting those stats back up KC in 2 years they'll make Penny look ridiculous compared to Kobe.

KC just seems to enjoy antagonizing Laker fans and pandering to all those pseudo come lately Kings fans, Everyone that knows ball knows Penny's no comparison to Kobe,hell outside of here no ones made that comparison it's Jordan not Penny.

And too all those people who believe You could insert all those other players to play with Shaq and win titles how about Spud Webb playing with the Celtics of the 80's instead of DJ, how about Tom Chambers taking Worthy's place on the showtime Lakers they'd probably still win the title, or how about Drexler playing with Jordan instead of Pippen they surely would've won 6 titles regardless of Pippens contributions, Chris Webber and Duncan surely they would have won the title back in 99 instead of David Robinson, yeah sounds pretty ridiculous,

To say that Shaq and Iverson equal CHAMPIONSHIP EXPOSES somone's naivety , SHAQ HASSLE'S WITH KOBE ABOUT SHOTS HOW IN THE HELL WOULD ANYONE ELSE GET A SHOT WITH IVERSON ON THE LAKERS, I GUESS AND IVERSON AND FISHER BACK COURT WORKS REAL WELL WHEN THEY POST UP BOTH GUARDS ALL DAY, Penny and Shaq had several chances to get a ring but didn't why because Penny choked away too many games at the end when it mattered most,got killed by Drexler in the finals, never would have happened to Kobe in his prime now, Paul Pierce has no Idea how to play with a dominant center he's a scorer Kobe's made himself into a playmaker as well as a scorer ,Pierce would never be able to penetrate and dish to the Diesel like Kobe does,goes to the basket too off balance to do that ,

Now Tmac possibly could win a title but then again he messes up more late game situations so you'd probably have to go to Shaq in the clutch which probably isn't a good idea for a 50% foul shooter.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
One other thing do you know why creators create and not score themselves because they can't score as well , Kareem shot the skyhook because he could ,he could have been one of the alltime great passing bigmen but why when you can score, ala Bill Walton, If Walton had a sky hook he wouldn't have been the best passing big man., Magic passed because he could do that better than he could score ,same with JKidd he's a much better passer than shooter, Andre Miller is a much better passer than creating his own shot conversly Marbury has better scoring ability than passiong ability, same for Iverson who's a better scorer than he is a passer, Now Penny could score but was a better playmaker ,Kobe is just as creative as Penny but he has a better Knack for scoring when he wants to pass he could get 10 assists but he scores easier because of his athleticim, Penny isn't as good at scoring thus he had better assist numbers than Kobe but that doesn't make him a better creator it just makes him a more FREQUENT CREATOR.

Now Larry Bird could pass as well as Magic but his numbers for assists were never as good as Magics why Bird could score better than Magic ,so Magic resorted to passing to make himself most effective, He was a more FREQUENT passer than Bird not neccesarily a better passer than Bird.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Please tell me we aren't implying that Penny Hardaway is a better player than Kobe Bryant.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
This thread's got me thinking...

How good would a team with Shaq, Kobe, AND Penny be? I know Penny's not what he used to be because injuries have slowed him down, but wouldn't he be a perfect fit for the triangle? Unfortunately I was too young to remember much from the Penny and Shaq days in Orlando, but I know that they were my favorite team at the time. If the Lakers could somehow trade for Penny, maybe using George and Horry or something, they could have this lineup:

1- Penny
2- Rush
3- Kobe
4- anybody, it really doesn't matter
5- Shaq

Both Penny and Kobe are capable of playing the role of distributer in the triangle. Kareem could just stand outside and shoot threes, and will hopefully be able to do a lot more. And then of course you've got Shaq.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts