Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be hearing very little about JWill on these boards and find it a little disconcerting. Have we, in the new NBA, become ingrained to believe that rookies CANNOT make a legitimate impact in year 1? Have we become so accustomed to waiting for projects like Crawford, Curry and Chandler to contribute meaningfully that we doubt that another rookie is capable of doing so? I think we must remind ourselves that Williams is a ready to contribute player who, while making mistakes along the way, will also bring many attributes of a savvy veteran. He WILL play 30-35 mpg. He WILL score in the mid-teens. He WILL play strong defense. He WILL provide leadership and a go-to player in the 4th quarter. Remember, he was the College POY at the top college program and played three years. He is an NBA-ready rookie. Period. So why do we constantly ignore his impact to this years team and insist that Rose, Marshall and Blount are the only veterans?

And it's not just Williams who can bring a veteran level of play to the table. Fizer, like him or not, is 24 or 25 now and has constantly improved his output the last two seasons. His game, while lacking in certain areas, exhibits maturity. ERob, now 26, has playoff experience and will be reliable in a veteran sense provided he stays healthy. We still got Hoiberg too and he's a great veteran leader and consummate team player. And even Hassell, at 23, plays with such maturity that he should prove a veteran presence in his second year.

I think sometimes we fans can't see the forest for the trees with these young Bulls. Yes, they are young and certainly have some growing pains ahead of them. But, we also have a very high talent level assembled on this team, and enough mature players to make us consistently competitive night in and night out. No use in buying into the media hype that we are too inexperienced to win. You only need to look as far as the Nets of last year to see how a team whose primary rotation featured a mix of a few established vets (Kidd, Van Horn, Kittles) and a few NBA newbies (Martin, Collins, Jefferson) is not that far off in experience from the 2002 Bulls.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with your assessment. I think the factors you mention will contribute to a good season.

However, the greatness of this team will be measured by the progress of the three Cs. The faster Chandler, Curry and Crawford grow up, the faster we make the playoffs

Will JWill, Hassell, Rose, ERob, Fizer, Marshall help? Of course. Say goodbye to 20 win seasons. We're definitely looking at a win total in the 30s.

On the upside the Bulls could reach the low 40s. But on the downside, they may not escape the 20s.

I tend to be an optimist, so it should be fun to watch.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
So why do we constantly ignore his impact to this years team and insist that Rose, Marshall and Blount are the only veterans?
Personally, I reduced my expectations after watching the summer league game and analyzing the second hand material from the games in SLC. I'm concerned that there is going to be a bigger learning curve than I initially expected and he may not make 1st team all rookies.

Long term, I feel that JWill is at least a top 10 PG.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If Jamal Tinsley can make an impact I don't see why Williams can't. Although the expectations of Williams will be higher.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
I seem to be hearing very little about JWill on these boards and find it a little disconcerting. Have we, in the new NBA, become ingrained to believe that rookies CANNOT make a legitimate impact in year 1? Have we become so accustomed to waiting for projects like Crawford, Curry and Chandler to contribute meaningfully that we doubt that another rookie is capable of doing so? I think we must remind ourselves that Williams is a ready to contribute player who, while making mistakes along the way, will also bring many attributes of a savvy veteran.
I completely dissagree. Although i don't post here all that often I do read here alot in IMO people are way overestimating Jay's impact. Everyone, EVERYONE here, assumes that he will be the starting PG, even though he has never before ran the triangle and he is a rookie, who didn't do all that much in the summer league. The kid will be a very good PG someday, but will he instantly as a rook be the:leader, most clutch, best defender? No. And maybe it's just me that wonders how in the world this guy will be a savvy vetern. I'm sure people said the same and more about Shane Battier, and he sure led the Grizz...into 2nd to last place. Don't expect much his first year, otherwise you will be dissapointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts