Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is a legit point guard. Watching the game, IMHO he outplayed both BD and AM. Some sick passing and certainly holding his own when being pressured.

ESPN says that he just got signed with the Pistons. Seeing that they just signed Chauncey Billups to a pretty big contract, I wonder if they should have addressed it differently. Pepe Sanchez looks to have a backup role behind Billups. Perhaps the money could have been better spent to address a C/PF to compliment Big Ben. Seeing that Kandi man has yet to commit to LA, the Pistons could have offered him about 30 mil for 3-4 years to prove himself.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Of course there is talk of stack opting out of his contract next year if we don't offer him the max (which I don't think the pistons should do unless he shows up for the playoffs this year). Billups from what I have heard from various people is a better 2 than 1 so he could fill stacks position if he were to leave. We already have a decent backup pg in atkins so maybe a trade is in the works. Big man wise I think the pistons are pretty happy with zelijko rebraca who was coming on late in the season until he got hurt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stackhouse is pretty much a non-factor in my opinion. He had a dismal time in the playoffs this year, and was only highlighted for the fact that the Pistons played great defense. As I remember from some ESPN article, Stack is "poor man's Vince Carter". Guy still lacks the leadership after all these years in the league. The scoring duties should shift to SF Clifford Robinson who is a natural leader., and Stack should be traded for possibly a solid SG (Mobley) and sign a PF/C . The money spent on Billups would have been better spent addressing the other positions, seeing that they now have Pepe Sanchez as a PG. A new roster could possibly look like this

PG- Sanchez/Jones
SG- Mobley(trade)
SF-Robinson
PF-Big Ben
C- Kandi/Rebraca

This would instantly make them a contender for the Eastern Conference champs. Think about it, who would want to face Big Ben and Kandi in the paint. The backcourt is also solid defensively with Clifford Robinson stopping cuts and penetrations. Cliff would be there 2nd scoring option after Mobley.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
If it is so obvious that the guy is a head ache and a non-factor, how do you expect to get a player like Mobley?

-Petey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't say the guy was a headache. I said that he does not have the leadership qualities to propel this team when needed. Watchin the 2002 Finals, Stack never seemed like he was hungry for winning, usually just face down and emotionless. A leader gets his team fired up ( a la Pierce/Walker).

Stack is a overated player but should be able to fetch a good SG from another team. Mobley avg about 21 ppg last season, when most of the Rockets were injured.

Stack should have stayed in Illadelphia and be the 2nd option behind AI. Who knows what a Mutumbo/Stack/AI threat would have done to LA.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think it was more a case of AI asking to get him out of there, then him wanting to leave... if I am correct.

-Petey

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I'm a pistons fan and I think you are giving Pepe Sanchez a little too much credit. He will be our third PG behind Billups and Atkins. I mean if he was as good as you are making him out to be, then I think he would've stuck around in Philly, where he could've took the job from Eric Snow. And Damojn Jones is not on the Pistons anymore.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Despite slighty less athleticism than the average NBA point guard, I have been saying since he graduated from Temple that his skill level, basketball IQ, hustle and selflessness make him a legit NBA back-up point in the right situation. I certainly think he is better than El-Amin, Ollie, and a few others who seem to be semi desirable free agents.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jsa</b>!
Despite slighty less athleticism than the average NBA point guard, I have been saying since he graduated from Temple that his skill level, basketball IQ, hustle and selflessness make him a legit NBA back-up point in the right situation. I certainly think he is better than El-Amin, Ollie, and a few others who seem to be semi desirable free agents.
I agree completely. When he was in Temple, he was such a smart player... and such a tough defender. I was shocked when he didn't catch on somewhere immediately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!
I'm a pistons fan and I think you are giving Pepe Sanchez a little too much credit. He will be our third PG behind Billups and Atkins. I mean if he was as good as you are making him out to be, then I think he would've stuck around in Philly, where he could've took the job from Eric Snow. And Damojn Jones is not on the Pistons anymore.
Understand that the Pistons shelled out quite a lot of money to address to PG situation. The crop of free agents were dismal, and compared to international prospects, the PG's from Europe/South America seemed better steals.

Billups got a contract so that the PG situation would be solved. He is not the perfect fit. Being about 6'5 he is more of a tweener, but the only good thing about him playing the point is that he does the job.

My arguement goes that judging from the win at the WBC against the US, Pepe has shown that he has matured as a player after his stint in the NBA. That is why the Pistons signed him. Now the Billups money could have went to address other situations, most notibly the SG or lack thereof during the playoffs.

Pistons are one of the better managed teams in the NBA. They got a strong defensive presence for relatively cheap in Big Ben and Cliff. And 2 of the better SG in the NBA (Stack and Barry). The Pistons might possibly deal Billups/Sanchez, but I think they made a mistake in giving the contract to Billups.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!
Exactly.

Pepe Sanchez, by the way, is one of my five or ten ALL-TIME favorite college players. Loved that dude. I knew it was only a matter of time before he returned to the NBA. He'll stick around for GOOD this time. If Avery Johnson can play in the NBA for 10-15 years, so can Pepe Sanchez.

But, like this dude says, for now, Pepe is #3 on the Pistons' depth chart at PG. The Celtics are hard-up for a PG--you think they'd be interested in trading for Chucky Atkins? Somehow?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts