Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my plan to build the perfect team.

This summer, we re-sign Eddy and Tyson to deals that will pay them $9 million each next season. That's much more than Dampier and B Miller got in their first seasons of their new contracts.

We resign O at $3 million per for 3 seasons using his Bird Rights.

We split our MLE between Oberto ($2 mil), Duhon and Pargo ($1.5 mil each).

So our 2005-2006 roster:

PG- Hinrich, Duhon
SG- Gordon, Pike, Pargo
SF- Deng, Nocioni
PF- Tyson, AD, Oberto
C- Eddy, Othella

I can live with that.

Now, our cap space in the summer of 2006:

PG- Hinrich $3,064,916
SG- Gordon $3,862,080
SF- Deng $2,614,440
PF- Tyson $10,000,000
C- Eddy $10,000,000

Bench:

Duhon- $1,500,000
Pargo- $1,500,000
Nocioni- $3,030,000
Oberto- $2,000,000
Othella- $3,000,000

That's a total payroll of $40,570,436 in the summer of 2006. Assuming we trade our low first-round pick for a future pick, and the salary cap should be around $48 million, that leaves us ~$7.5 million in cap space that summer, PLUS a solid 10 man rotation.

Not bad, eh?

The question is, what do we do with the ~$7.5 million in cap space? Maybe a sign and trade with Detroit, our 1st-round pick (after he was drafted) plus 3 future #1's for Tayshaun?

Can you imagine the defense played by this starting lineup:

Hinrich
Prince
Deng
Tyson
Eddy

With a bench of Gordon, Nocioni and Oberto? That's one hell of an 8-man rotation, tough as nails, defensive first, with Kirk, Eddy, and Deng as scorers with Ben "the Microwave" off the bench?

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
I believe Paxson is planning on having more cap space. He was targeting Peja or a top notch SG. He might have changed since.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The question is what do we do with the ~$7.5 million in cap space? Maybe a sign and trade with Detroit, our 1st-round pick (after he was drafted) plus 3 future #1's for Tayshaun?
tayshaun is a nice defender...but no way would i give a total of FOUR first-rounders for him...

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Not bad. Even though Pargo has really helped the team this season, I think John signs a big shooting guard in place of pargo. We have too many small guards.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
i see you really love Tayshaun Bullsville , I like him too - but 4 1st rounders - no freakin way , thats overpaying in the worst way.

And I'm not so sure Eddy will be making 10 mil as things are at the moment...

And Pargo won't cost more than minimum contract imo. Du might cost a little more than 1.5.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's OK if you think 4 first-rounders is too much, because I'm sure Pistons fans would tell you that our 4 non-lottery, probably not even close to the lottery picks aren't enough for Tayshaun.

And who would we be drafting with those picks anyway? The end of our bench? Dickey Simpkins and Jason Caffey and Travis Knight?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
bullsville said:
It's OK if you think 4 first-rounders is too much, because I'm sure Pistons fans would tell you that our 4 non-lottery, probably not even close to the lottery picks aren't enough for Tayshaun.

And who would we be drafting with those picks anyway? The end of our bench? Dickey Simpkins and Jason Caffey and Travis Knight?

Tayshaun isn't worth 4 first round picks anymore than Duhon is.

As for who we grab, I think Paxson has surprised all, including myself, and drafted very well with later picks. Plus, this is where you get the Euro prospects that become Manu Ginobli, etc....

Would I give two late firsts for Tayshaun, yeah.

Also keep in mind though, that means more bench time for Gordon, Hinrich, Duhon or all three.

I like the thinking as he definitely fits our position of need.

I also really like that you got Oberto to be a back up big.

If Pax could pull off everything except the Tayshaun deal, I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
bullsville said:
funny u say that since the pistons selected tayshaun AS THE 23RD PICK and all our first rounder will most likely be in the high teens/low 20s...

so no, we wont be drafting the end of our bench, hell we might find another tayshaun in there, who knows?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
southpark said:
funny u say that since the pistons selected tayshaun AS THE 23RD PICK and all our first rounder will most likely be in the high teens/low 20s...

so no, we wont be drafting the end of our bench, hell we might find another tayshaun in there, who knows?
Tayshaun is averaging 17.9 points per game since Feb 1. He leads the Pistons- a pretty good team- in scoring since the All-Star break. And he is probably the best perimeter defender in the league (at worst it's him, Crazy Ron and Bowen). He is #14 in the NBA in minutes. He is THE true lock-down defender of the Kobe's and TMac's of the world- hell, just ask Kobe and TMac what Tayshaun did to them in the playoffs. :)

Look at the drafts over the last 4 years, you'll see the odds of finding another Tayshaun where we will be picking are pretty slim.

http://nbadraft.net/2004.asp

http://nbadraft.net/2003.asp

http://nbadraft.net/2002.asp

http://nbadraft.net/2001.asp

http://nbadraft.net/2000.asp

If we gave up four late first-rounders, we'd be getting a steal... the odds of finding another Tayshaun are much, much lower than 1/4.

The ONLY way the Pistons do this deal is if they don't want to pay Tayshaun over $7 million first year salary.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I think most likely we are looking at splittling MLE between Chris Duhon and Raja Bell. Then bringing back Harrington, Tyson, and Eddy. As far as the capspace honestly I think another big is brought up but that is about it. I think Paxson originally figured to go after a big name that summer but with the way the team has developed faster than he imagined he will be just filling in holes and beginning to extend the young guys. Hinrich will be the next guy after we extend our two bigs. As far as perimeter D let me tell you Hinrich,Bell, and Deng will do some serious damage, especially when you consider you have Duhon and Chapu off the bench bringing D and let me tell we will be fine on that end of the court. Bell is still relatively young himself. I believe he is only 28 right now(correct me if I am wrong).

2005-2006:

Hinrich,Duhon
Bell,Gordon,Pike
Deng,Nocioni,Griffin
Chandler,Harrington
Curry,Davis

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
If we resign Othella I can't see us bringing Oberto on this year

Be cheaper to give Mario Austin a run as we lose his rights after this summer I believe . Let's have another look and give me a run in training camp to see if he is good enough to win a spot on a non guaranteed contract

For our 5th big we are really looking at Jared Reiner replacement.

I don't think you do that with a guy that's going to chew a couple of million

Duhon will command more than $1.5M - he can be outbid at this level with the LLE which should be at around $1.8M

Gordon needs to start in time and Devin Brown is greater long term fit for payroll and team balance than Tayshaun Prince

I love Prince but you have to consider long term cap balance beyond 2006 with Hinrich , Prince , Deng and Gordon , Nocioni etc ... late first round draft picks still enable you to pick up :

Josh Howard , Tony Parker , Beno Udrich , Tony Allen , Nenad Kristic and a bunch of other worthy players that have been picked a this level and in the 2nd round over the last few years while everyone else has been looking for paydirt higher up in the draft

Why risk 4 chances at this type of player and be locked in to paying the motherload for Prince in a year or two when we don't have to give up any opportunity and secure Devin Brown in a key reserve role long term at 30% of the cost of say Tayshaun Prince

Dev's not Tay you say ?

OK

If you talking defense ... I'll just say Lakers Spurs playoffs last year - Brown on Kobe in spot duty .

The boy can defend the stud

·
2,810 Posts
And just because we have money doesn't mean we will spend the money

Think Spurs and Pistons who have championships while staying inside the salary cap

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess you don't like my idea, FJ? :cry:

It's OK, I'll go grab a Xanax and I'll get over it. :biggrin:

Besides, nobody likes Tayshaun as much as I do...

with the exception of Pistons fans who see what he does every night.

·
2,810 Posts
No I love Prince

But you can't leave Ben Gordon on the bench . He's going to be much more than that

He will never be lockdown on his own but he will have Kirk and Deng/Noc on either side of him and Tyson at the back

What he will do is force the opposing team to account for him a lot more than what Tayshaun would

Sometimes the best form of defense is attack

I just like the overall balance and long term cost structure better with Gordon and Brown

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd never leave Ben on the bench, in my perfect world he could come off the bench, though, as long as he's getting 30+ minutes.

Hinrich
Gordon
Prince
Deng
Nocioni
Chandler
Curry

That's the 7 I want to get all the minutes when possible. 240/7 is 34.3 minutes each, I can live with Nocioni getting most of his minutes at PF as long as we have Tyson, not to mention Deng is fairly close to the new "prototypical PF".

Hopefully you never need Duhon or Pargo or Oberto, but over the course of a season of course you will.

I don't care who starts or who finishes, but nobody getting 34 minutes on a winning team can complain.

And if they do, they are probably replaceable.

Team ball, without superstars but with super teams, are all the rage right now. I like it, personally.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
bullsville said:
So I guess you don't like my idea, FJ? :cry:

It's OK, I'll go grab a Xanax and I'll get over it. :biggrin:

Besides, nobody likes Tayshaun as much as I do...

with the exception of Pistons fans who see what he does every night.

Prince is great! Still, I think there is a little of your UK bias shining through my friend!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Four 1st rounders seems like a lot to give up for Prince. So far, Paxson has been great at drafting, and I figure he would be able to get a steal in a draft in the future. The other way I would give up four first rounders is for a SuperStar. With AD's Contract coming off the books in a season, along with Erob, and Pike, we could package all their contracts and a first rounder or two for a superstar. I do not know who we could get, or what position we could fill. It's just an idea.

Otherwise, I know people are interested in getting Jaric for the MLE, but not at the expense of losing out on Duhon. Could we do a S&T of AD for Jaric and Wilcox. With Jaric getting the MLE or slightly more. We would have to fiddle with some fillers to make it work. Should we also try for Maggette? I've heard that the Clipps are looking to move Corey this summer. The Clippers are always on the cheap end and would take an expiring contract for their always hopeful plans for future free agencies to sign the big star. They are not going to get Redd this year. And no one else will consider the Clipps. LAC took Kittles Contract last year, so maybe AD's this year. I do think we might manage to get Wilcox and Jaric out of there (since neither are the future at their respective positions for that team).

Also, I think someone in this post calculated our cap room for the 2006 offseason. We should not forget to speculate on our 1st round pick getting paid then too. That will be another 1.5-2 million to add.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts