Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the glut of big men Boston now has, O'Brien does not expect Perkins to see much playing time for the rest of the season.
"We have depth at the 5-spot, so I don't know if Kendrick is going to get much of a look this year," said O'Brien. "In the short term, he's under a couple layers of centers. But in the long run, he's got a great work ethic and I think he's going to be a heck of an NBA player."
For now, Perkins enjoys making practice as competitive as possible. So far, Perkins has seen action in only two games for a total of six minutes. He is averaging 3.5 points per game and 1.0 rebound.
"I've got to be OK with it," said Perkins of the limited playing time. "There's nothing I can do about it. I've got to stay positive and keep working hard, knowing that one day it will pay off. I really just go at the players [in practice] to make them keep working hard. They can't slack up because they know I'm there and I'm hungry for playing time."

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...004/01/12/baker_back_in_mix_after_suspension/

Glut of big men? :no:
Lets see: C-Blount,PF-Mihm........Baker(you never know with him), Stewart (?), McCarty (a big man?)...at least there is Hunter!

The best thing here: But in the long run, he's got a great work ethic and I think he's going to be a heck of an NBA player."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't understand that either. Blount and Mihm is not a glut. I don't count McCarty. He plays center and power forward, but he certainly isn't your standard at either of those positions. If Baker and LaFrentz were playing, then there might be a glut. Even so, five guys covering 2 positions is still not much of a glut. Right now, we have 3 guys covering 2 positions, so I think a fourth wouldn't be a problem. I'm not counting Stewart. I would definitely rather see Perkins than Stewart. How can a team in the East have too many big men? OB has said we are deficient in low post scoring and rebounding. Hunter and Perkins address those deficiencies, so why not put them in? Sure, they can't shoot the three, but neither can any of the other big men except McCarty.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Danny is letting O'Brien coach

O'Brien adheres to the Pitino system of athletic big man who can run, jump, play pressure defense and maybe even shoot the three (like Waltah).

But Danny is running the personnel aquisitions and he is throwing more low post big men in there for O'Bie to use.

Battie is gone. Walker is gone. Danny tried to move Waltah.

Slowly this team will resemble less of what O'Brien wants and more of what Ainge wants.

For now Danny is letting O'Brien do his job and coach the way he knows how to with the type of players that he likes to play.

Soon, however, I think Danny's boys (Perkins, Hunter, etc.) will work their way onto the floor and we will see a stronger low post presence.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
What's the Rush?

The guy is 19 years old. Mihm is playing well. Blount is playing very well. Next year, he'll play 10 minutes a game or so.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
So stupid. First of all, Walter should be getting no more than 10 minutes a game and he's not a "big man", nuff said. Chris Mihm is awesome. Mark Blount is ok, but streaky and NOT an NBA starter. Raef is out for the season. Vinny was great in the beginning of the season but now we don't know if OB will play him I hope he does but still that equals 3 big men. Stewart is a waste and should be on IL. Perkins should get 10 minutes a season NOW! What the heck, we are not going anywhere this year anyway, get Perkins and Hunter some playing time, let them get familiar with the NBA game. The sooner they do the sooner we can have a season that we DO have hope to go somewhere. Who cares if we make the playoffs this season, we won't go anywhere anyhow, I'd rather develop our young guns!:upset:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Re: What's the Rush?

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
The guy is 19 years old. Mihm is playing well. Blount is playing very well. Next year, he'll play 10 minutes a game or so.
We just don't want him to go the way of Joe Johnson, Jerome Moiso, Joe Forte, or even Kedrick Brown. If talent sits on the bench too long, it generally stays there in OB's system. I just hope Ainge doesn't let that happen.

The one glimmer of hope we have is that OB let Jiri show what he could do, even after a slow start.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: Re: What's the Rush?

Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!

We just don't want him to go the way of Joe Johnson, Jerome Moiso, Joe Forte, or even Kedrick Brown. If talent sits on the bench too long, it generally stays there in OB's system. I just hope Ainge doesn't let that happen.

The one glimmer of hope we have is that OB let Jiri show what he could do, even after a slow start.
What do the above players all have in common? That's right, they SUCK. Chris Wallace was the worst talent evaluator when it came to drafting people. Jiri plays because guess what....that's right, he's pretty darn good. Now, Perkins has done everything the coaches have asked, and in his two games left us wanting for more, but he will be brought along at the appropriate pace. He'll play next year. I wouldn't worry about his development.

Mihm is decent, Blount is playing very well (yes, consistently, and yes at the level of an NBA starter, thank you very much). We can only hope Baker will approach November form. Walter may not be a post player, but I guarantee you he can defend better than Perkins right now, against most teams we play.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The celtics should mirror the Piston's system for developing Darko. He's sat on the bench until recently, but is now starting to pick up garbage time minutes. As his confidence and understanding rises, I imagine he will slowly start to have the minutes increased. By the end of the season, we would have C capable of 10 minutes a game (and 6 fouls if necessary) against some of the bigger east teams (pistons, hornets ect). Similar development for Hunter would also make sense.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What's the Rush?

Mihm is decent, Blount is playing very well (yes, consistently, and yes at the level of an NBA starter, thank you very much). We can only hope Baker will approach November form. Walter may not be a post player, but I guarantee you he can defend better than Perkins right now, against most teams we play.

If you think Blount is an NBA starter then you must like being a lottery team fan, Mark Blount is not NBA starter material, backup fine but NO WAY is he starting on any decent team in this league, give me a break!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
yeah, I dont understand why you dont give KP garbage minutes. I was never impressed with him (watching HS tapes, highlights) but he can be an above average center in this league.
Just make sure he isnt another Jermaine waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
WhiteRhino...

Blount is in the top half of centers in the East...and light years ahead of Perkins. Maybe when he's 20 we'll consider playing him, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Defense is pretty important and Blount does that better than any post player on this team. Period.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Re: WhiteRhino...

Blount is in the top half of centers in the East...and light years ahead of Perkins. Maybe when he's 20 we'll consider playing him, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Defense is pretty important and Blount does that better than any post player on this team. Period.
True, Blount is underrated and could contribute much more on offfense if he got the touches.

Having said that, neither Perkins nor Hunter will develop unless they get p/t. Practice time is NO substitute for playing time in games.

What they are doing to Perkins and Hunter is a crime. There is no reason why minutes could not be made available for both of those guys. Jumaine Jones needs to go on IR and McCarty needs to go to the bench (except in situations that clearly call for an extra 3 point shooter, such as at the end of a one or two possession game or against certain matchups).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Blount is really starting to cement himself as a solid second tier centre in the east. He's never going to win us no. 17 by himself, but if he keeps up his recent play, the C spot isn't a huge weakness like it has been in recent years. I'm still a big fan of garbage minutes for Perkins, for a nice slow steady development.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bballin</b>!
Blount is really starting to cement himself as a solid second tier centre in the east. He's never going to win us no. 17 by himself, but if he keeps up his recent play, the C spot isn't a huge weakness like it has been in recent years. I'm still a big fan of garbage minutes for Perkins, for a nice slow steady development.
For now, Blount and Mihm should get 35 minutes each and have Perkins get 5-8 minutes. Walter shouldn't get more than 15. Danny is trying to build a offensive strategy that focuses on the lowpost. We haven't had a good lowpost player since the 80's.

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow, we are all pretty much in agreement. now all we have to do is try and take over obie's thought processes and the C's will be developing nicely for no.17

1 - 16 of 16 Posts