Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a given to most of us that Damon shouldn't even be starting. no point in really dwelling on this.

what surprises me is that it seems like several on this board are eager to give Derek Anderson the starting nod without even much consideration for Wes Person. Person should clearly start.

the funny thing is that Person, McInnis, Stoudamire and Anderson all seem to be rewarded (or punished) for what they've done several seasons ago. Cheeks is featuring McInnis like he's still a CBA guard, Stoudamire like he's still in his second season in Toronto, DA like he's still in San Antonio, and Person like he's still in Memphis.

the irony is that while DA and Stoudamire are clearly not that good, Person is playing like he did in Cleveland, not Memphis. when he was a Cav, he was one of the very best shooters in the business. 50% fg. 44% from 3. this season he's at a still astounding 47% and 45% respectively.

DA and Stoudamire have never even sniffed that kind of efficiency for more than five games in a row in their careers. that kind of efficiency is exactly what opens up the court for Zach to play in the post. that kind of efficiency puts deep lumps in the throats of opposing coaches whenever the ball gets swung around the perimeter. that kind of efficiency wins games.

yeah, our defense still sucks with Person starting, but from what I've seen, none of these four guards are significantly better at guarding a lawn chair for us to even bother discussing it.

we've got one of the best outside shooters in the game, on a team with no other outside shooters. forget Memphis, Cheeks. Person has clearly moved on, and so should you.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I am not so sure Person should start, but I do think he should get lots more minutes. That is what has frustrated me the last 2 games. When we had pathetic performances shooting, we hardly played Wes at all. But I can not say that I object to Wes starting just to see the effect.

I like his movement without the ball and the way he comes off of screens... aka Kiki V and Jim Paxson....

I brought my comments out of another thread to post here, as we are talking more about who to start and rotate in

I really want to limit Damona nd Jeff to the PG spot...

PG Jeff and Damon
PG DA and Person should be the 2's

I will go one step past that...

I think we should go back to the conventional.. it will not be a popular thought, but....

SF Patterson, Woods
PF Wallace, Randolph
C Davis, (Wallace), Stepania

Use only these 10 players... they actually do have the tools, give Randolph lots of minutes as Wallace gets them too, but limit Davis to lower minutes

Give aging useless Wes.... our 47% 2FG, 46% 3FG shooter more time/minutes to shoot off those screens. Don't let Damon or Jeff jack them up

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree Person should play more and i think he and Mc Innis should play together. It actually looks like an offense when these two are out there, they create shots for each other. Looking at the +/- ratings, the team is only -5 in 194 minutes when Person and Mc Innis are on the court together. They are -54 in 213 minutes when Damon and Person are together on the court. I think that the Mc Innis/ Person numbers would be better except some of the time Damon is also on the court with them. I would like to start Mc Innis and Person and let Damon and DA sub in together.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I also think that Mc Innis works harder to create offense for himself and for the rest of the team when Damon is not in the game. I think Cheeks should experiment to see if this is true, especially if Mc Innis and Person could play togehter for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I have been saying for some time that Person should be starting (rather than the 2 PG farce that Cheeks has used as our team goes down the toilet), but I don't think he should start ahead of a healthy DA.

Derek Anderson does EVERYTHING better than Person except for shooting 3 pointers. DA gets to the line, plays the passing lanes, and guards his man better.

A team that relies on Person as a starter is either a really good one, a really bad one, or one that has no other options. I don't think we're either of the first two and with DA we're not the third.

Derek Anderson should be starting once he's healthy.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
Derek Anderson should be starting once he's healthy.

Ed O.
so basically you agree with TheWanker...since DA is never "healthy"...

;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
OK, then once DA is healthy, start Damon and DA, but I would have Mc Innis at point whenever Person is on the court and also have Mc Innis play some point when DA is in. In effect Mc Innis would play more minutes than Damon. And keep the PG's playing pointguards as traderbob suggests. Or if Mc Innis doesn't work well with DA, then just have Mc Innis and Person as the "2nd" team. I think the important thing is that Damon and Mc Innis shouldn't play together and that Person and Mc Innis should.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
a side note; DEFENSE

Keeping Damon and Jeff restricted to PG duty helps our D... Damon is too short to play SG defensively. Jeff is taller of course, but still helps with our SG being taller yet

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think that Person should start until Anderson is in game shape (at which point Anderson should start).

Anderson is a player (when healthy and in shape) who can create shots for both himself and others.

I also believe that the "big lineup" should be scrapped as the starting unit.
Either Wallace moves to center or either he or Randolph move to the bench.

My personal choice would be to start Wallace and bring Randolph off the bench. That would give the Blazers a dominant second unit while also placing Wallace at a position of strength.

Many will complain of Randolph deserving to start however “deserve” and “earned” do not equate when what is in the better interest of the team indicates otherwise.
Wallace off the bench may be a viable option as well, however I believe his versatility to be better utilized from the starting spot (he could start at PF, back up at C and lend spot minutes at SF). Randolph could log 30-32 minutes off the bench and provide the Blazers with offensive firepower off the bench (making one of the teams present weakness a strength).

Stoudamire/ Mcinnis
Anderson/ Person
Woods/ Patterson
Wallace/ Randolph
Davis/ Stepania

...would be my rotation of choice.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
DA will most likely never be "healthy". He has a bulging disc. Those really don't go away, per se, and it will be a naggig injury the rest of his career.

Start Jeff & Wes. That's clearly our best bet.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!
Davis/ Stepania

...would be my rotation of choice.
Actually, Davis/ Rubin BB would be my rotation of choice.
Rubin BB would provide potential shot blocking and athleticism (speed from end to end) at the center position.

He was injured during his only opportunity to play and has yet to get a true shot. Stepania plays well at times and if Rubin BB does not pan out after (say) 3 or 4 games his known contributions can be revisited.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IF Anderson can prove that he is healthy and his defense outweighs Person's offense, sure, I'd start him.

however, Person is a known commodity at this point. he's put up his numbers at every opportunity since the trade. it should be his starting job to lose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts