Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://espn.go.com/magazine/bucher_20020817.html

A couple of notes:

He mentions Kwame doesn't lift weights. This contradicts reports not only from this offseason by the Post and the Wizards web site, but also numerous reports about Kwame from before the draft last year as well as reports about his work preparing for the Wizards.

He mentions Kwame was bothered by Chandler's length but continues to say that "his skills and moves are clearly more developed." For Wizards fans it is no surprise that Thomas was able to post Kwame up. Etan is a strong player that really came on at the end of last season and his work in the Summer League showed he has a developingpost game. Saying Kwame is a better face up player is not a slam at Kwame. 99% of NBA players are better face up and almost none of them have Kwame's size along with the height.

Curry was a consensus among those at the camp as the favorite. This is not a surprise as Curry has shown an ability to score on the post with his his great size. I have always felt Curry would be the better of the 2 Bulls High Schoolers.

With all of this, I am still glad we have Kwame. I think he is a mix of Chandler and Curry. He may not be as long as Chandler, or have the post moves of Curry, but he has a nice game.

Bucher's argument that MJ had a win-first attitude last season is misleading. MJ did not tailor that team to fit him. The offense was made to utulize the players on the team. There may not have been many throwaway opportunites to have everyone play for Kwame's game, but that is a good thing in my mind.

Bucher does an ok job at analysizing the players but a poor job of reasoning on last season.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good summary BCH. I agree with you in that Kwame is a mix of Chandler and Cury. My one problem with Curry is that he seems to be allergic to rebounding and defense. This even goes back to his days in HS when he wasn't a good rebounder or defender. However, he has a fabulous inside game, he's huge, and when motivated he can become a beast inside.

I like the fact Kwame's trying to back down people, and use his strength moreso than his quickness. It also seems as though the laziness tag (which I thought was bull**** anyway) is slowly starting to wear thin. FOr the most part, this was positiove news.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
To the point of Kwame refusing to lift weights thats bogus because coming into the draft his highschool coach often talked about how Kwame could bench press 345 lbs, and that he was lifting almost every day, and Whats this about undersized pf's he's 6'11 and weighs 250 what's undersized about that, Kwame will be FINE and I think he'll be better than Curry and Chandler I think Curry will have the best year of the three this year because of his size and offensive moves but Kwame will be really good for us this year, I'm really not that worried about Kwame, it will just take time he has alot of bad habits to unlearn, and he just has to mature as a man and a player , he to me has the most upside of the three he's the best athlete of the 3 and he's the most talented as far as moves ,ball handling , jumpshooting, he just needs maturity, Some of these writers look to reinforce the notion of what people have been saying about players,when Kwame starts to produce then those sentments will go away. I'd take Kwame 1st all over again.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
http://espn.go.com/magazine/bucher_20020817.html
Curry was a consensus among those at the camp as the favorite.
I think it's important to note that Curry was not selected as the entire camp favorite. What was said in the article was that the camp instructors unaminously would select Curry over Kwame and Tyson. The fact that the camp instructors would say this carries alot more weight then if this was some writer's opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts