Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I no longer think that the position the raptor's are most in need of is a center. I think Arch and Moisio are both showing real signs of improvment with Bosh healthy and Brad's on the verge of being back..our front court is looking better than ever.

However with Rose out (and not playing great anyway), Alvin hurting and our offense not looking great all together; I'm pretty sure a pg would be a real uplifting addition to this team right now.

Who do you guys think is available? and more importantly who would we stand a chance of getting?

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

FROM THE NBDL

Full Name: Mateen Cleaves
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-2 / 205
Birthdate: September 7, 1977 (Flint, MI)
High School: Northern HS (Flint, MI)
College: Michigan State

I'm not sure but I remember he play good with the Raptors in the off-season. and it's a good option.

He's fift in assists in the NBDL with 6 apg. and 16 in ppg. with 12.8ppg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Name: Kareem Reid
Height/Weight: 5-11 / 218
Birthdate: August 27, 1975 (Bronx, NY)
High School: St. Raymond’s HS (Bronx, NY)
College: Arkansas

he's second in assists in the NBDL with 7.3 apg and 12.2 ppg

VIA TRADE

FRANK WILLIAMS

ALVIN FOR FRANK ALVIN BACK WITH WILKINS

Position: G
Born: 02/25/80
Height: 6-3 / 1,91
Weight: 212 lbs. / 96,2 kg.
College: Illinois '03

2003-04
Statistics
PPG 4.3
RPG 1.00
APG 2.2
12.9 MPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NICK VAN EXEL

ALVIN, LAMOND, mo.p. FOR NVE

Born: 11/27/71
Height: 6-1 / 1,85
Weight: 195 lbs. / 88,5 kg.
College: Cincinnati '93

2003-04
Statistics
PPG 13.1
RPG 2.60
APG 5.7
33 MPG

F.A.

STEVE NASH

Born: 02/07/74
College: Santa Clara '96

2003-04
Statistics
PPG 14.5
RPG 3.10
APG 8.1
33 MPG

HE COULD BE OUR LEADER BUT THIS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank Williams would be nice, but I wouldn't give up alvin for him.

What about Brevin Knight? or even Howard Eisley, Chalie Ward?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
PG's i would like for GG to acquire and believe we have a chance with:

Frank Williams
Kenny Anderson
Steve Blake
Mateen Cleaves

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also think that getting another pg is a must do right now.
Most people on this board want a pg over a center considering that we have Bosh, Arch, Moiso, Baxter, Marshall all of whom can play minutes at the center positon. But at the point we only got Palacio, Williams and Mason that can play now that Rose is injured. So there isn't much depth at that posiion.

Point Guards that I heard are available are:

Nick Van Exel GS- Still very skilled, but salary is pretty big, plus I dunno what we have to offer to Golden State to get him.

Frank Williams NYK- Young and full of potential. Is already a pretty good player, but can become very good. Now that the Knicks have Marbury and Moochie Norris as a back-up they don't have much need for Frank.

Mateen Cleaves NBDL- Has bounced around the league, and played for us in the summer league. Can be signed for cheap. To get him would be just to add depth to the pg position on our team.

Marko Jaric LAC- He's been talked about on this board already, but I also heard that he might be available don't remember where I heard this though. He's a pretty good player but he's turnover prone.

Dan Dickau ATL- Also a young player with lots of potential that doesn't get much playing time and could maybe benefit from a change in scenery.

Brent Barry SEA- He can be traded for the right price. Seattle has Antonio Daniels and want to start giving more playing time to Luke Ridnour who I think can become a special player.

These are all guys that might be available. I honestly don't see Toronto doing anything major, but maybe something small like grabbing Cleaves or Diackau to add depth.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just to add to the "we need a point guard more" argument, Michael Bradley is coming back, and he is capable of playing C against other smaller big men too.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I agree Cleaves or Dickua are most likely, as they are the easist to get.

However - unless the new point is good defensively he's gonna be playing behind Milt. I think Dickau is weak defensively and would probably not see much burn

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Alvin Williams for Raul Lopez. Now that's the type of point guard that has the potential to be the 2nd coming of John Stockton.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
Omar Quintero

he's available for the 2004 draft maybe select him via F.A. or in late second round

HE'S THE BEST MEXICAN P.G. he play with a lot of heart (like Najera) and fast

Full Name: Omar Quintero
Height/Weight: 6-0 / 170
Birthdate: September 26, 1981 (Sonora)

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Re: ....

Originally posted by <b>Carter182</b>!

F.A.

STEVE NASH

Born: 02/07/74
College: Santa Clara '96

2003-04
Statistics
PPG 14.5
RPG 3.10
APG 8.1
33 MPG

HE COULD BE OUR LEADER BUT THIS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

i wish :cry:

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
More info and Interview with Omar Quintero

Face to Face with Omar Quintero #11 Mexico Nacional Team

With barely 21 years of age Omar Quintero already has two years in the bag as the starting point guard for the Mexican national team. This cat-quick 5-11 playmaker played for St. Nazarene College in NAIA this past season and will play as a transfer this year with Fresno State University in NCAA Division I basketball.

playing v.s. carlos arroyo

In 2001, Quintero impressed with his performance at the Centrobasket in Toluca, leading his team to the gold medal game with an unbeaten record before losing to eventual champion Puerto Rico in the final, but still settled for a hard-earned silver.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE AND INTERVIEW

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
mo pete and montross

for

chucky atkins and carlos delfino (and maybe a second rounder)

atkins is overpriced and detroit is looking to dump salary to sign okur. definitely available.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

mo pete and montross

for

chucky atkins and carlos delfino (and maybe a second rounder)

atkins is overpriced and detroit is looking to dump salary to sign okur. definitely available.
i love that trade i saw delfino play and he's great with a great experience and atkins a good veteran

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
i think some realistic acquistions through trades are:

marko jaric- a big point guard, a nice scorer, and a lockdown defender. lots of potential.

frank williams- a nice young scoring point guard, good leader and solid defender.

steve blake- has proved to be a nice scorer, when drafted only thought to be as a solid ball-handler, court vision and defense.

chucky atkins- good scoring vet, that could be had quite easily because of contract.

zoran planinic- good penetrator, extremley quick, good passer. he's just starting to play well for lawrence frank, he might come at a high price.

carlos arroyo- good young point, great scorer, but gets too flashy at times. utah's not that high on him, they seem to like lopez much better and he seems to be there future.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
marko jaric- a big point guard, a nice scorer, and a lockdown defender. lots of potential.
wouldn't mind him, but is he real PG? i'm sick of tweeners.

carlos arroyo- good young point, great scorer, but gets too flashy at times. utah's not that high on him, they seem to like lopez much better and he seems to be there future.
would he come back? :grinning:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Jeff Mchanis (sp?)
Brevin Knight
Earl Watson
Damon Stoudamire (Free Agent?)

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Originally posted by <b>macro6</b>!
Earl Watson
i would LOVE to get Earl to this team, but unfortunately West loves the guy as well, as he should be seeing as how he's got a good eye for talent

:(

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ya, Jerry West has an eye for talent.

cant say the same for Glen Grunwald.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Originally posted by <b>macro6</b>!
Ya, Jerry West has an eye for talent.

cant say the same for Glen Grunwald.