Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To appease res, this has it's own thread. I agree with him. It's needed.

I do feel a little sick about this. Nobody wanted it to turn out like this, but here we are. It was time. Uncharted waters ahead.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I used to despise the guy, then I had a grudging respect for him while still disliking him, then I merely had a grudging respect for him. Now, I'll miss him. I hope he stays in the game in some way.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I genuinely do not want him to just go away. I want him a part of Saint Joseph's. He is one of us.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
@sjhawk13, you seemed to continually point out that he had to go, that you would not follow the team the same way if he was back. With that in mind, what part are you referring to exactly when you say that nobody wanted it to turn out like this?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@sjhawk13, you seemed to continually point out that he had to go, that you would not follow the team the same way if he was back. With that in mind, what part are you referring to exactly when you say that nobody wanted it to turn out like this?
Nobody wanted the last ten years to be awful. I would have loved Phil to be coach until he wanted it to be over so long as he continued to win. He didn't.

Only the most jaded aholes would have wanted Phil fired. But so long as the program continued to wither and the losses continued to mount, it had to be done.

After the past decade this had to happen. But I speak for everyone, truly everyone, when I say that we wish things had been different.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Nobody wanted the last ten years to be awful. I would have loved Phil to be coach until he wanted it to be over so long as he continued to win. He didn't.

Only the most jaded aholes would have wanted Phil fired. But so long as the program continued to wither and the losses continued to mount, it had to be done.

After the past decade this had to happen. But I speak for everyone, truly everyone, when I say that we wish things had been different.
Got it. When you put it that way, nobody ever wants to have to fire a coach. I do not know of a case of a coach being fired for winning too many games and being liked too much.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it. When you put it that way, nobody ever wants to have to fire a coach. I do not know of a case of a coach being fired for winning too many games and being liked too much.
I know, and it's never going to be that simple. Phil is our guy. Today isn't the most joyous day in the world. It sucks. But it was time. I really hope Phil can continue to be a part of Saint Joseph's. Truly truly.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Someone on the Bucknell board mentioned Langel -- plenty of Philly ties with Dunphy at Penn and Temple. Wasn't lobbying for him, merely mentioned him.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me. I only give him one or two more years at Bucknell at the most. He's making less than $200K at the moment and Bucknell's not going to pay (much) more to try to keep him. They'll just go out and hire another successful D3 coach and see what happens. That's their MO.

EDIT: Sestina and MacKenzie are also the last of Paulsen's recruits. Davis seems to have brought in some OK players but the jury is still out to say the least as to whether his recruits can match up to the players that Paulsen left him.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Always had nice things to say about UD and gave us praise for our fan support. Equally compassionate when Big Steve died. Phil was an institution. But even institutions have a shelf life I suppose. Maybe now thats hes gone Dayton can win on Hawk Hill.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It was mentioned on the Dayton Rivals board that it seemed similar to UD firing Don Donoher in the late 80’s. Both men are true gentlemen that probably should have stepped down on their own. SJU is a good job (Phil deserves credit) and will attract a good pool of choices

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was mentioned on the Dayton Rivals board that it seemed similar to UD firing Don Donoher in the late 80’s. Both men are true gentlemen that probably should have stepped down on their own. SJU is a good job (Phil deserves credit) and will attract a good pool of choices
Donoher's firing was also mentioned on the SJU board today. Pretty analogous, I think.

Jameer being mentioned. Jamion Christian. Nate Davis. Lots of good candidates will come forward. I truly want Phil to help us shepard a new coach and take the program higher. I want him around.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts