Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
SJU's AD is a legit joke.

Between hiring Lange, having to issue a statement about not granting players release, the press release for the new coach with two paragraphs about Phil.

Talk about being disingenuous.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #203

Between hiring Lange, having to issue a statement about not granting players release, the press release for the new coach with two paragraphs about Phil.

As you know, I was fine with the press release as it was.

But to include all this shit about Phil when hiring your new guy, who's a total nobody, is just awful. If you wanted to say all of this glowing shit, do it last week when you canned him or don't do it at all.

We are trash and deserve what will be our near-constant presence in the basement from now on. Great job all around.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I do not see where she said that they would not grant players their release.
I'm not sure what 55 could be referring to. I assume it's the student newspaper article (linked below) that was published last night, where she said she would grant releases to every player who wants one.

From what I've heard, one of the 2019 recruits has been given a release while another hasn't. That is merely a rumor so it's unfair to comment beyond that.

https://www.sjuhawknews.com/?p=12414

·
Piker
8,592 Posts
It looks to me like she said that she will allow players to transfer anywhere they want. I will take Bynum. Tell him that a VCU fan said to call Rhoades. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Pot meet kettle. WTF? How can someone from LaSalle even think about criticizing another A10 program?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Because us from bad programs know bad when we see bad. I don’t see an issue in calling them out on it.
I disagree. It’s not bad seeing bad, it’s bad getting satisfaction from a rival’s misery.

To me this seems like an uninspiring hire that many SJU people don’t like. I don’t know much about Billy Lange but I will say that Archie Miller wasn’t an inspiring hire to many UD fans either. I suspect that the Philadelphia media is more than happy to take advantage of any little tid bit of information that can make the SJU admistration look bad. I can’t imagine that the new AD’s tenure at SJU will be long lived if she fired Phil and hired the next Jim O’Brien.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
I disagree. It’s not bad seeing bad, it’s bad getting satisfaction from a rival’s misery.

To me this seems like an uninspiring hire that many SJU people don’t like. I don’t know much about Billy Lange but I will say that Archie Miller wasn’t an inspiring hire to many UD fans either. I suspect that the Philadelphia media is more than happy to take advantage of any little tid bit of information that can make the SJU admistration look bad. I can’t imagine that the new AD’s tenure at SJU will be long lived if she fired Phil and hired the next Jim O’Brien.
I mean, they absolutely burned the bridge between the institution and the greatest player the school ever saw, so it's hard to blame the media for that happening.

If this hire fails, the AD and President will be gone in a few years. The coach will follow a year or two after that. All of a sudden it's a decade from now and we're doing the Fordham thing. No offense, Fordham, but that's pretty much the playbook (except for the AD and President getting fired. That doesn't seem to happen up there).

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
13, to be fair there's a difference between Fordham and SJU.. Fordham doesn't care. Academically they are a few steps above a basketball program determining the fate of a president. And they have that pesky little football problem, probably leaving the AD above job security depending on BB as well.

It looks like an uninspired hire. On paper his track record is subpar. But who knows. I mean really, what credentials did Nelson actually have? If he's as great a guy as everyone says he is, he'll understand why he isn't HC. He needs time. I hope Lange reaches out and gets him on staff.

These things have a funny way of working sometimes. You got a guy with experience for better or worse. I wouldn't sound the death knell just yet.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

I did not feel A10La Salle55 as taking satisfaction in this. One of us got a wrong read on that.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Archie was an assistance under Herb, his brother, and Thad Matta. He more than deserved a chance to coach at Dayton. Lange and Archie's resumes couldn't be more different.

Lange was an assistant coach under Speedy Morris (under his worse years), Jay Wright (during some not so great years), had a sub.500 record at Navy, got fired and has been mediocre with the Sixers.

There is nothing inspiring about the hire.

I said earlier I don't want SJU to be bad. The Philly media doesn't go around making it's universities look bad. The situation was handled poorly, Phil's actions made it worse and that's what got reported.

I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be decent for them at the very least. Still want to beat them every time we play them, but there is nothing to boast about beating a bad SJU team.

Ace is right. Bad programs know when they make bad moves. La Salle hasn't been great. They had a very fortunate hand when they hired Bill Bradshaw, who probably was over qualified to be La Salle's AD and we were able to hire Ashley Howard. Solid chance we don't land Howard if URI didn't go with Dave Cox. Howard may not turn out to be the guy but from an optics standpoint, La Salle happened to be in the right situation at the right time and made the best possible decision.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts