Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Archie was an assistance under Herb, his brother, and Thad Matta. He more than deserved a chance to coach at Dayton. Lange and Archie's resumes couldn't be more different.

Lange was an assistant coach under Speedy Morris (under his worse years), Jay Wright (during some not so great years), had a sub.500 record at Navy, got fired and has been mediocre with the Sixers.

There is nothing inspiring about the hire.

I said earlier I don't want SJU to be bad. The Philly media doesn't go around making it's universities look bad. The situation was handled poorly, Phil's actions made it worse and that's what got reported.

I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be decent for them at the very least. Still want to beat them every time we play them, but there is nothing to boast about beating a bad SJU team.

Ace is right. Bad programs know when they make bad moves. La Salle hasn't been great. They had a very fortunate hand when they hired Bill Bradshaw, who probably was over qualified to be La Salle's AD and we were able to hire Ashley Howard. Solid chance we don't land Howard if URI didn't go with Dave Cox. Howard may not turn out to be the guy but from an optics standpoint, La Salle happened to be in the right situation at the right time and made the best possible decision.
You’re correct about Archie’s pedigree, but most UD fans wanted an experienced HC, and many talking heads felt Dayton was too big for a very young assistant coach. It turned out well on the court and Archie’s success is directly responsible for a major increase in financial commitment. You just never know. I don’t believe the AD and President at SJU are stupid. They have to realize the implications of replacing Phil with a dumpster fire.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm not sure what 55 could be referring to. I assume it's the student newspaper article (linked below) that was published last night, where she said she would grant releases to every player who wants one.

From what I've heard, one of the 2019 recruits has been given a release while another hasn't. That is merely a rumor so it's unfair to comment beyond that.

https://www.sjuhawknews.com/?p=12414
I meant to post this the other day, but did not have the time to verify what I thought was a fairly new rule in the NCAA.

Current players no longer need permission from their current school to transfer, so who knows where that rumor started, that 55 heard elsewhere. A recruit who has signed an NLI does need a release however, but that is b/c it is a rule of the NLI, not the NCAA.

One thing I am not clear on is if the transfer portal that was so well publicized with football transfers, is also in use and readily available for basketball.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I meant to post this the other day, but did not have the time to verify what I thought was a fairly new rule in the NCAA.

Current players no longer need permission from their current school to transfer, so who knows where that rumor started, that 55 heard elsewhere. A recruit who has signed an NLI does need a release however, but that is b/c it is a rule of the NLI, not the NCAA.

One thing I am not clear on is if the transfer portal that was so well publicized with football transfers, is also in use and readily available for basketball.
Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but VC updates the transfer list regularly
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but VC updates the transfer list regularly
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019
That's a good list, but not exactly what I was referring to.

I could be wrong, but I thought that in football the transfer portal list was readily available. At minimum, I do recall often hearing/seeing that so-and-so has entered their name into the transfer portal and at other times that a certain player had removed their name from the transfer portal. I do not hear/see that same direct mention in hoops.

·
Registered
879 Posts
That's a good list, but not exactly what I was referring to.

I could be wrong, but I thought that in football the transfer portal list was readily available. At minimum, I do recall often hearing/seeing that so-and-so has entered their name into the transfer portal and at other times that a certain player had removed their name from the transfer portal. I do not hear/see that same direct mention in hoops.
Ah ok. I don't follow college football, so I'm not sure about that. I have heard mention to a portal for basketball, but haven't seen anything other than sites like VC that list them.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Looking forward to a new era but the short term will be painful. Hawks will be lucky to win five games next season. 5-26, you heard it here first.

221 - 226 of 226 Posts