Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Phil was one of the first people I met at SJU when I took my first tour in 2008. My tour made a quick stop at the then Fieldhouse, and Phil was on his way to his office. He talked to a group of four or five of us for ten minutes. He didn't make me decide to come to Saint Joseph's, but he was one of many people I would meet who'd help me realize that I should.

He's truly a friend. We've had lunch. We've strategized about student engagement. I do not have glee.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I understand the basketball decision.

But I love Phil Martelli as a coach in our league. Loved how he was a fierce advocate for everyone in the conference.

Loved how when he was ranked kept talking about the other teams in the conference and how good the league was and said "This league is getting FOUR NCAA bids" when everyone sane said "uh, Phil, who's number four?" And then someone (Richmond I think) won the tourney to be our fourth.

Loved how when St. Bonaventure got fucked, Phil was livid and stayed up all night after the Selection Show, calling every single sports radio station he could just to tell the world we got done dirty.

He needs a job in this league. Maybe not as a basketball coach, but as an Assistant AD (fundraising?) at St. Joe's, or the "face" AD there. Or A-10 Assistant Commissioner for Basketball, where administration bounces our ideas off him first before taking it to coaches. A liaison with officials or something.

We need Phil on TV during Championship Week, talking about our league.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The seat of "Dean of A10 Coaches" will remain open until someone else steps up and advocates for this conference as long and as hard as Phil (and Chaney before him) did. Sad to see him go this way.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The seat of "Dean of A10 Coaches" will remain open until someone else steps up and advocates for this conference as long and as hard as Phil (and Chaney before him) did. Sad to see him go this way.

I mean, McKillop hasn't been in the A-10 the whole time, but he's definitely the elder statesman of the league.

It's really weird to me that Chris Mooney of Richmond has been coaching in the A-10 longer than anyone else. And if he doesn't survive the next month, it's Mark Schmidt.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Phil was one of the first people I met at SJU when I took my first tour in 2008. My tour made a quick stop at the then Fieldhouse, and Phil was on his way to his office. He talked to a group of four or five of us for ten minutes. He didn't make me decide to come to Saint Joseph's, but he was one of many people I would meet who'd help me realize that I should.

He's truly a friend. We've had lunch. We've strategized about student engagement. I do not have glee.
If a friend of mine went on a message board and advocated for my firing/resignation almost ad nauseum, we would not be friends anymore. Odds are we never really were.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
I understand the basketball decision.

But I love Phil Martelli as a coach in our league. Loved how he was a fierce advocate for everyone in the conference.

Loved how when he was ranked kept talking about the other teams in the conference and how good the league was and said "This league is getting FOUR NCAA bids" when everyone sane said "uh, Phil, who's number four?" And then someone (Richmond I think) won the tourney to be our fourth.

Loved how when St. Bonaventure got fucked, Phil was livid and stayed up all night after the Selection Show, calling every single sports radio station he could just to tell the world we got done dirty.

He needs a job in this league. Maybe not as a basketball coach, but as an Assistant AD (fundraising?) at St. Joe's, or the "face" AD there. Or A-10 Assistant Commissioner for Basketball, where administration bounces our ideas off him first before taking it to coaches. A liaison with officials or something.

We need Phil on TV during Championship Week, talking about our league.
There is a very good argument to make him lead assistant to Bernie. He's an institution in this league.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If a friend of mine went on a message board and advocated for my firing/resignation almost ad nauseum, we would not be friends anymore. Odds are we never really were.
Fair point. I should have said that Phil is someone whom I have total respect. I can still have that respect and advocate for a necessary, and painful, change.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
There is a very good argument to make him lead assistant to Bernie. He's an institution in this league.
When Bona got screwed, Bernie issued a statement and it was... YAWN.

Following traditional professional decorum is pointless. No one is going to care.

Have Phil go on TV and radio all February just light up everyone else on the bubble and telling everyone why they suck and the A-10 is better. He can rant and rave like a crusty old coach that everyone loves and it would be entertaining content AND help with our publicity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coach Martelli fought for his players and for his conference, and he is to be thanked for that. I also want to thank him for telling Clarence Armstrong that he was the worst official ever, and getting tossed from a home game vs. Bona's in 2017. Classic Phil. He'll be missed on the sidelines.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I see that there is a lot of fan support for Jameer Nelson. This seems like a risky hire given he has no coaching experience and he is replacing a legend that the new AD just fired. Is this just emotional reaction or does it have legs?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I see that there is a lot of fan support for Jameer Nelson. This seems like a risky hire given he has no coaching experience and he is replacing a legend that the new AD just fired. Is this just emotional reaction or does it have legs?
It's not fake news, I'll say that.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, what do you think?
I like it for several reasons. I question it's viability too.

The money and support would only be surpassed by 03-04. That building would rock every single game. Energy would be in excess. I think he could walk into recruits' living rooms and blow them away. I kid you not.

But he would need a good staff. And from what I hear, he very much knows that.

High risk high reward. If all parties are interested and can work it out, I think it's the kind of thing that we need to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nothing to add. Just want to say I m sorry to see him go. I think injures, which are something he couldn’t control, are the primary culprit in his string of losing seasons. I still think he can coach.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
A integral part of the A-10 departs, and while maybe it was time for Phil to step away from coaching for a while, the Conference would be remiss if it could not find a meaningful and visible position for him. Maybe he wants to step away from the sidelnes for a year or so, but I could see a Nova, Maryland, Rutgers Georgetown scooping him up not only for his basketball acumen, but also his contacts in the Philly and South Jersey area. He'd have a lot to sell with The Big East and Big Ten.

21 - 40 of 226 Posts