Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Saint Joseph's having juice doesn't osmosiscally mean my posts due. Most of the posters on this board have zero juice, but we love them all the same, even those who are economists for Christ's sake.
If you find it necessary to continue to ascribe a profession to me based on an academic degree attained, I would prefer that you refer to me as a mathematician.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-channel/great-phil-martelli
Hard to have a graceful exit when he got thrown out the door.

The entire situation from beginning to end couldn't have been handled more poorly. It's a real shame for him, SJU and this city's basketball tradition.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hard to have a graceful exit when he got thrown out the door.
To quote Phil: you can kiss my ass.

He was offered the Dunphy farewell tour and a admin position at Saint Joseph's. He declined. He chose not to resign and therefore had to be fired.

Who gives a shit what the press release said? That's what matters now, the press release? I know, I know, LAS had some long glowing statement about G when they got rid of him. Great. He also called around to his recruits and urged them to stick with the program. He would have done the same with a 3 paragraph post.

Spare me this bullshit. Phil was shown nothing but respect and got offered a golden parachute. He elected to go in another direction than those offers and that's well within his right. Spending his days on a WIP pity party tour is also his prerogative, but don't tell me he wouldn't have done this with some multi-page list of his accomplishments.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-channel/great-phil-martelli
Just listened, he sure is playing the victim card, and this Angelo played spectacular enabler for 12 minutes.

The old guard, the good old boys never like when their time is up. SJU has new brass and they're taking a new direction. I'm not sure he's helping himself as far as obtaining a new coaching gig with this. It's as if he felt he was coach for life there - as long as he wanted the job. And maybe that was the case, but the powers that be when they evaluate, want to make sure you're not just going through the motions. Is the passion there? There were games this year, and I watched 2 of them from start to finish, where he and the team just weren't there.

He's hurt, it's tough. He's not going to be a part of SJU going forward. If the old boys network has convinced him to step aside, sure. Be he has no ties or love for the newbies. He's not going to be a figurehead. He wants back on the sidelines somewhere.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Just listened, he sure is playing the victim card, and this Angelo played spectacular enabler for 12 minutes.

The old guard, the good old boys never like when their time is up. SJU has new brass and they're taking a new direction. I'm not sure he's helping himself as far as obtaining a new coaching gig with this. It's as if he felt he was coach for life there - as long as he wanted the job. And maybe that was the case, but the powers that be when they evaluate, want to make sure you're not just going through the motions. Is the passion there? There were games this year, and I watched 2 of them from start to finish, where he and the team just weren't there.

He's hurt, it's tough. He's not going to be a part of SJU going forward. If the old boys network has convinced him to step aside, sure. Be he has no ties or love for the newbies. He's not going to be a figurehead. He wants back on the sidelines somewhere.
It sounds like you're starting to get on board, 85. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
To quote Phil: you can kiss my ass.

He was offered the Dunphy farewell tour and a admin position at Saint Joseph's. He declined. He chose not to resign and therefore had to be fired.

Who gives a shit what the press release said? That's what matters now, the press release? I know, I know, LAS had some long glowing statement about G when they got rid of him. Great. He also called around to his recruits and urged them to stick with the program. He would have done the same with a 3 paragraph post.

Spare me this bullshit. Phil was shown nothing but respect and got offered a golden parachute. He elected to go in another direction than those offers and that's well within his right. Spending his days on a WIP pity party tour is also his prerogative, but don't tell me he wouldn't have done this with some multi-page list of his accomplishments.
He was absolutely not offered the Dunphy farewell tour.

Whoever told you that sure as hell is fabricating a story.

·
Registered
583 Posts

I never would have sought this out and clicked because you linked it.

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. There has never been an issue with Phil's media availability or forthrightness before. In fact, it has been one of his strengths for St. Joe's (and an irritant for us, sometimes). He gave an honest appraisal of what happened and where he was now.

I have no intention of directing you how to feel. Divorces are always messy. Accept the fact that the decision was St. Joe's, accept the negative flack that was sure to come, and move on.

(BTW, that "Phil Martelli Must Go" thread was started in 2009. That was before 2 NITs and the 2 conference championships/NCAA appearances that followed)

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
It sounds like you're starting to get on board, 85. Welcome!
You have to separate you heart from the business right? Right or wrong, the new brass think there's more potential there than what Phil has shown. I'm not so sure, and I think you look at 2016 and two injury-riddled seasons, I think this was the year for the come to Jesus meeting. Hey, you're not on a lifetime contract, we know there were some injuries, but get your shit together in 19-20 and we'll reassess. That's my opinion.

Where SJU is going wrong here is they've let Phil control the post-firing narrative. And it's easy for that to happen because he was an institution and the public release was so vanilla business with empty platitudes, it just looked bad. At the same time, I don't like the "Shit on SJU" tour that seems to be underway, and Phil should be professional about it, stfu, and say, "Hey, I want to coach, I'm for hire." No one likes someone who bashes their employer on the way out the door. His call with this Angelo guy, IMO, was a bad look for Phil.

SJU should be fine. They're a program. They should get a decent coach. But at this point, the gloves should be off and they should maybe release a little more information - if there's anything to release. They don't need question marks unanswered during the coaching search.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I never would have sought this out and clicked because you linked it.

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. There has never been an issue with Phil's media availability or forthrightness before. In fact, it has been one of his strengths for St. Joe's (and an irritant for us, sometimes). He gave an honest appraisal of what happened and where he was now.

I have no intention of directing you how to feel. Divorces are always messy. Accept the fact that the decision was St. Joe's, accept the negative flack that was sure to come, and move on.

(BTW, that "Phil Martelli Must Go" thread was started in 2009. That was before 2 NITs and the 2 conference championships/NCAA appearances that followed)
I did to that. The days later pity party is just unnecessary. I understand the heartbreak and sadness. Don't blast it out on the airwaves.

I wasn't here for that thread. Long before my time here.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
He was absolutely not offered the Dunphy farewell tour.

Whoever told you that sure as hell is fabricating a story.
I trust my sources much more than I'd trust yours.

If you want to disagree, that's fine. You're welcome to your perceptions. I don't care. You can call into WIP and share a TastyKake with Phil. Do whatever you want.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
You have to separate you heart from the business right? Right or wrong, the new brass think there's more potential there than what Phil has shown. I'm not so sure, and I think you look at 2016 and two injury-riddled seasons, I think this was the year for the come to Jesus meeting. Hey, you're not on a lifetime contract, we know there were some injuries, but get your shit together in 19-20 and we'll reassess. That's my opinion.

Where SJU is going wrong here is they've let Phil control the post-firing narrative. And it's easy for that to happen because he was an institution and the public release was so vanilla business with empty platitudes, it just looked bad. At the same time, I don't like the "Shit on SJU" tour that seems to be underway, and Phil should be professional about it, stfu, and say, "Hey, I want to coach, I'm for hire." No one likes someone who bashes their employer on the way out the door. His call with this Angelo guy, IMO, was a bad look for Phil.

SJU should be fine. They're a program. They should get a decent coach. But at this point, the gloves should be off and they should maybe release a little more information - if there's anything to release. They don't need question marks unanswered during the coaching search.
Those in the business know how it went down. Calls have been made. Things are moving. We don't need to say anything more imo. All good. Hope Phil gets another program to run and he succeeds.

Angelo Cataldi is a real shit stain. Sports radio is a scourge.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I trust my sources much more than I'd trust yours.

If you want to disagree, that's fine. You're welcome to your perceptions. I don't care. You can call into WIP and share a TastyKake with Phil. Do whatever you want.
That is certainly fine. You go to bat for your sources I would to. Even though nothing suggests that is what happened whatsoever you stick that. I know his firing been in the works for quite awhile over the course of this year and more within a small subset of the administration and it's alumni.

I know there is this small collection of alumni like yourself that will defend SJU no matter what. Bunch of elites who think their shit don't stink. They've shown that repeatedly over the years.

Good luck with your next hire. Cause hell you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
That is certainly fine. You go to bat for your sources I would to. Even though nothing suggests that is what happened whatsoever you stick that. I know he's firing been in the works for quite awhile over the course of this year and more within a small subset of the administration and it's alumni.

I know there is this small collection of alumni like yourself that will defend SJU no matter what. Bunch of elites who think their shit don't stink. They've shown that repeatedly over the years.

Good luck with your next hire. Cause hell you're gonna need it.
Thanks, man. Appreciate it. Clearly you haven't been around much if you think I've only ever defended SJU.

And I'm an elitist! Hilarious. You know nothing about me. Get back to Explorer Town and hang out with Brother Teliow. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Thanks, man. Appreciate it. Clearly you haven't been around much if you think I've only ever defended SJU.

And I'm an elitist! Hilarious. You know nothing about me. Get back to Explorer Town and hang out with Brother Teliow. Enjoy!
Speaking out about hazing involving their softball team must be tough.

Absolutely though, no problem.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Those in the business know how it went down. Calls have been made. Things are moving. We don't need to say anything more imo. All good. Hope Phil gets another program to run and he succeeds.

Angelo Cataldi is a real shit stain. Sports radio is a scourge.
i DoN't HaVe An ElItiSt AtTiTude.

Okay, Thanos.

81 - 100 of 226 Posts