Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
This is where the similarities between UD firing Donoher and SJU firing Phil end. Donoher did nothing like this, in fact he continues to represent the University.

Donoher was pulling down about $70k a year. Phil was paid millions by SJU over the years and wasn’t getting the job done.

I can’t imagine that this was a surprise.

I listened to the interview. It’s unfortunate that he is taking this route. He did a lot for SJU but SJU made him a rich man. It’s almost like he is out of touch with the fact that HC’s are required to produce on the court.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
This is where the similarities between UD firing Donoher and SJU firing Phil end. Donoher did nothing like this, in fact he continues to represent the University.

Donoher was pulling down about $70k a year. Phil was paid millions by SJU over the years and wasn’t getting the job done.

I can’t imagine that this was a surprise.

I listened to the interview. It’s unfortunate that he is taking this route. He did a lot for SJU but SJU made him a rich man. It’s almost like he is out of touch with the fact that HC’s are required to produce on the court.
I won't opine on it further because it makes sense to move on as a fan as as an institution. Very excited by what's in store. You may get your wish about resources, JAF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sjfrog13 is why the frogs are the frogs.

Martelli made the lilypad, I will watch with joy as you hire three coaches over the next 12 years.

The frogs are a middle of the pack A-10 sqad, I will send Puffs to city line ave.

Viva le frogs

Ghost of Guster

·
Registered
11 Posts
sjfrog13 is why the frogs are the frogs.

Martelli made the lilypad, I will watch with joy as you hire three coaches over the next 12 years.

The frogs are a middle of the pack A-10 sqad, I will send Puffs to city line ave.

Viva le frogs

Ghost of Guster

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-channel/great-phil-martelli
I never would have sought this out and clicked because you linked it.

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. There has never been an issue with Phil's media availability or forthrightness before. In fact, it has been one of his strengths for St. Joe's (and an irritant for us, sometimes). He gave an honest appraisal of what happened and where he was now.

I have no intention of directing you how to feel. Divorces are always messy. Accept the fact that the decision was St. Joe's, accept the negative flack that was sure to come, and move on.

(BTW, that "Phil Martelli Must Go" thread was started in 2009. That was before 2 NITs and the 2 conference championships/NCAA appearances that followed)
You know what, I listened to that interview, and I agree with rosceaux. Nothing embarrassing in that interview. I clearly don't know the details of all that went down with Phil's firing, but Phil just sounded to me like Phil. It seems to me that he simply answered the questions candidly and honestly, describing how he's feeling. I don't think I would expect anything different from the guy.

I didn't used to be a Phil fan, dating back to the days he would run the score up on the helpless Solomon Bonnies and yelled at the woman in the stands at the Reilly Center. Hell, his son as an assistant coach at Niagara swearing at and calling Andrew Nicholson names on the court even colored my view of Phil. But, over the years I've warmed to him, and his support for the conference and the Bonnies in particular has been much appreciated.

It's unfortunate that the divorce turned out to be messy, but I wish both parties the best going forward.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
[QUOTE=Ghost of Guster;153054

So this means you’re not going away for 12 years

101 - 120 of 226 Posts