Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
So, is Lunardi chairing the search committee for Phil’s replacement?
I'm not even sure Lunardi still works at Saint Joseph's.

The rumor mill is in full swing. I have almost no insider knowledge at this point and it makes me feel very not good. I don't like surprises.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm not even sure Lunardi still works at Saint Joseph's.

The rumor mill is in full swing. I have almost no insider knowledge at this point and it makes me feel very not good. I don't like surprises.
From an outsider’s point of view, I see your new AD making a good decision.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
From an outsider’s point of view, I see your new AD making a good decision.
I've head some very encouraging names and some that I think are truly terrible.

She's 1/1. Now she has to get to 2/2 for it to matter.

ijwt (as best I can, anyway)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Sixers beat writer Keith Pompey reporting Billy Lange will interview today. He is, to me, by far the worst possible choice on both the short list and the long list.

I can't and won't support his hire. I'd rather have Phil and I mean that.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Sixers beat writer Keith Pompey reporting Billy Lange will interview today. He is, to me, by far the worst possible choice on both the short list and the long list.

I can't and won't support his hire. I'd rather have Phil and I mean that.

Not busting your chops, I am asking sincerely. Why is he the worst?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Not busting your chops, I am asking sincerely. Why is he the worst?
Was head coach at Navy and they were terrible.

Was on Jay Wright's bench during the worst years of Jay's career.

Is the Sixers defensive coach and the sixers are and have been absolutely dreadful defensively.

He's a grown man and goes by Billy.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Was head coach at Navy and they were terrible.

Was on Jay Wright's bench during the worst years of Jay's career.

Is the Sixers defensive coach and the sixers are and have been absolutely dreadful defensively.

He's a grown man and goes by Billy.
Well 3 of those are valid reasons. He was a mediocre to bad head coach at Navy. Villanova was OK not great with him as assistant. He leaves and the program goes bananas.. coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. 76ers were terrible during his early years there but have been decent for a couple, largely because of their offense though.

I'm with '13 on this. SJU doesn't make a hire like this unless they want a 5 year rebuild ending with pink slipping this guy because he didn't accomplish anything.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
93-113 at Navy is not bad, believe it or not. It's not "I want that guy as my next head coach" good, but it's not bad. Ed DeChellis is 100-150 after taking over for him. Don Devoe, Lange's predecessor at Navy, had a winning record overall but went 23-63 over his last 3 years there. Navy is a tough job.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've head some very encouraging names and some that I think are truly terrible.

She's 1/1. Now she has to get to 2/2 for it to matter.

ijwt (as best I can, anyway)
Cluess on your list? :) 4 Tournaments in a row for Iona, but trending downward, 13, 14, 15, & this year 16 seed. Long time since I visited here. My daughter is about to graduate from St. Joe's. Hard to believe 4 years are almost done. Flew by. Any chance Phil takes the Fairfield job?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Cluess on your list? :) 4 Tournaments in a row for Iona, but trending downward, 13, 14, 15, & this year 16 seed. Long time since I visited here. My daughter is about to graduate from St. Joe's. Hard to believe 4 years are almost done. Flew by. Any chance Phil takes the Fairfield job?
Cluess is not on the list. I think his window for a better/bigger gig is gone. He's a solid coach.

Louisville assistant Luke Murray is likely to get the Fairfield job. Also, SJU president Mark Reed was a senior administrator at Fairfield before assuming the presidency. Not sure if Fairfield would go that route.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cluess is not on the list. I think his window for a better/bigger gig is gone. He's a solid coach.

Louisville assistant Luke Murray is likely to get the Fairfield job. Also, SJU president Mark Reed was a senior administrator at Fairfield before assuming the presidency. Not sure if Fairfield would go that route.
Cluess is 60, but a young 60. He's fit and energetic. I could see him going to St. John's if Mullin were to leave. He's signed at Iona through 2026 though, so there would be a hefty buy out to be negotiated.

·
Registered
961 Posts
93-113 at Navy is not bad, believe it or not. It's not "I want that guy as my next head coach" good, but it's not bad. Ed DeChellis is 100-150 after taking over for him. Don Devoe, Lange's predecessor at Navy, had a winning record overall but went 23-63 over his last 3 years there. Navy is a tough job.
In all fairness to Lange, you pretty much have to throw out his record at Navy. When you are a basketball coach at one of the service academies, you pretty much have to fight with an arm tied behind your back. No disrespect intended for our nation's future service people but each branch of the service has height and size restrictions. Put in other words, you can't be too big to fit in a tank, a submarine or the cockpit of a fighter jet. That makes it hard to field a team of tall basketball players.

But, having said that, it is a red flag that Villanova and the Sixers both got better after he left or reassigned.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Supposed Interviewees:

Jameer Nelson
Billy Lange
Matt Langel
JTIII
Matt Brady
Wes Miller
Ryan Ayers
Ryan Odom (I think)

Supposedly there were 2 interviews on Friday and 10 between yesterday and today. Those are really the only names I know. And only one of them rights the ship, imo.

·
Piker
8,595 Posts
Supposed Interviewees:

Jameer Nelson
Billy Lange
Matt Langel
JTIII
Matt Brady
Wes Miller
Ryan Ayers
Ryan Odom (I think)

Supposedly there were 2 interviews on Friday and 10 between yesterday and today. Those are really the only names I know. And only one of them rights the ship, imo.
Hire Matt Brady so I can read Bill making fun of his haircut.

121 - 140 of 226 Posts