Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phil Has Run The Saint Joseph's Program Into The Ground.

Phil Can't Coach His Way Out Of A Paper Bag.

·
Registered
391 Posts
relax, i am not in love with the post 04 martelli, but we really have no choice but to deal with him. he is less offensive than many of his fans, who feel its their job to make excuses for him at every step. my hope is if this thing does not rocket back up fast, that phil takes himself out for the good of the school. to think that we could never win another game without him is absurd. SJ survived ramsey leaving, mckinney firing, booth losing, lynam leaving, boyle imploding and griffin cashing out or in. it could survive martelli easily.

what program would do better over the next 5 yrs? phil being phil until retirement or matt brady digging in at SJ and working really hard to get in the dance a few times so he can go get a BCS job?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil made the brilliant statement this year that because his starting 5 average in age 18-22 yrs old, it is ok for them to PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME, EVERY GAME if he has to, without using his bench.

As if this translates into success? And he defends that theory?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Why is it then when things aren't going well for a team that everyone just jumps to the conclusion that the coach should be fired?

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Probably, in such cases, the heart tends to override the brain.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
The guy looks like Frankenstein to me. I call him Frankentelli.

Didnt St Joes make it to the NCAA Tourney last year.

Almost to the Final Four and one of the best teams in the nation in the last decade.

A force in the A10 consistently every year - NCAA Tournament Teams - NIT Teams

You guys play in a high school gym for Gods sake, play many other schools that play in high school gyms and are a dink DI school compared to the majors, even mid-majors. Yet St Joes can compete with any major college program in the nation and hold their own - even with a team like this year.

Frankentelli has put St Joes on the national map and has gained national respect. I dont doubt that St Joes could end up winning the A10 Tourney this year.

St Joes doesnt have alot to offer as a basketball program compared to at least a hundred other schools and I doubt you would draw a better coach than Frankentelli.

This guy can coach. Put him at a high major where he gets great athletes and he will be in the Top 20 yearly. Thats my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
seriously, it's not like Martelli is missing the A10 tourney. He goes to the NIT more often than not when he can't get to the NCAAs (at least it seems that way, I didn't look it up), and he pretty much always have a winning record. The success that SJU has -- even accepting that they may usually only make the tourney once every 4 years, with maybe 2 NITs every 4 years and a roughly .500 season in the 4th, is about what can be hoped-for for a school like St. Joe's (or GW).

And when you throw in a once a decade run to the sweet 16 or better, there's little to complain about -- don't forget, it wasn't just the Jameer/West team, but that Martelli took the Rashid Bey/Yah Davis team to the sweet 16 in I think 96.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
With all the coaching changes posts, this thread ended up being recommended reading in the Coaching Changes Talk thread.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Wow, look at some of those poster names. We haven't seen Free Quebec in a long time and I completely forgot about belocki.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts