Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil on Kobe: It's Shaq's team

By Howard Beck, Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Eventually, the Lakers assume, injuries will heal, the Hall-of-Fame lineup will return to the court, and coach Phil Jackson will coax four superegos into playing like a championship team.

That's the storybook ending the Lakers had in mind when they signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone last summer, and it's the happy conclusion they all still believe is possible, once everyone is healthy again.

Beyond June, however, nothing is promised.

In a lengthy interview with the Daily News this week, Jackson made one thing clear: This is Shaq's team, and Kobe Bryant is going to have to come to terms with that.

"I think, ultimately, that's going to be one of the understandings about Kobe coming back and being part of the Lakers, is to what extent does he want to be a coachable player in the structure that we have as a team in the present day? Which would include Shaq being here.

"Shaq's going to be the focal point."

more...
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%7E28541%7E1911525,00.html?search=filter

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sean</b>!
Phil on Kobe: It's Shaq's team

By Howard Beck, Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Eventually, the Lakers assume, injuries will heal, the Hall-of-Fame lineup will return to the court, and coach Phil Jackson will coax four superegos into playing like a championship team.

That's the storybook ending the Lakers had in mind when they signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone last summer, and it's the happy conclusion they all still believe is possible, once everyone is healthy again.

Beyond June, however, nothing is promised.

In a lengthy interview with the Daily News this week, Jackson made one thing clear: This is Shaq's team, and Kobe Bryant is going to have to come to terms with that.

"I think, ultimately, that's going to be one of the understandings about Kobe coming back and being part of the Lakers, is to what extent does he want to be a coachable player in the structure that we have as a team in the present day? Which would include Shaq being here.

"Shaq's going to be the focal point."

more...
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%7E28541%7E1911525,00.html?search=filter
Who says PJ never criticizes Kobe? If you ask me, he seems to get the brunt of the blame anytime the Lakers are struggling. These days he's an easy target for everyone.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
As great as Kobe is.. It is SHAQ's TEAM imo.. Yeah Kobe goes out there and plays injured to help the team get w's and Shaq doesnt but there's really no denying it's Shaq's team.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian34Cook</b>!
As great as Kobe is.. It is SHAQ's TEAM imo.. Yeah Kobe goes out there and plays injured to help the team get w's and Shaq doesnt but there's really no denying it's Shaq's team.
I don't think there's any denying that. As good as Kobe, Malone, and Payton are, Shaq is the player that makes the Lakers go. If he's anywhere near healthy there probably isn't a team in the league that can stop the Lakers. I just hate it when everyone comes down on Kobe because he's an easy target. The truth is that PJ and Buss don't have the balls to criticize Shaq so they try and make an example out of Kobe. Shaq has been getting fatter, lazier, and more complacent since the 00' title and the Lakers have only addressed this issue recently. Forget the fact that Shaq has shown up to training camp at nearly 400 pounds in recent years. Forget the fact that he waited until one month before training camp to have surgery on his ailing toe. Forget the fact that he's only making his joints worse by refusing to take proper care of himself in the offseason. Forget the fact that he's missed 15 games in each of the last 3 seasons (this one isn't even finished yet) because of foot injuries that might be related to his poor conditioning. Forget the fact that he seems to be more worried about his contract extension at times than the games. All Phil and Tex ever want to talk about is Kobe's play and Kobe's mindset. They either need to grow some nads or take off their skirts.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Yeah like you said they are always criticizing the easy target, which I dont think is fair..

Grow some nads or take off their skirts? I saw they keep their skirts on :rofl:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
And that wraps up Kobe Bryant's 8-year stop in L.A. ladies and gentlemen, it was nice while it lasted, good night and God bless.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Ya lol, if Phil wants to keep Kobe in town, he better start treating Bryant like gold...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts