Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jonathan Papelbon is closing the book on his tenure with the Boston Red Sox.

Papelbon, the longtime Red Sox right-hander who has anchored their bullpen for six years, including a World Series title in 2007, has agreed to a four-year, $50 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies pending a physical, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com senior writer Jayson Stark on Friday.

The deal includes a vesting option that could take it beyond $60 million for the 30-year-old, the source said. Another source close to the situation said the physical with the Phillies won't occur until early next week, the earliest the contract could be finalized or announced.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7220927/jonathan-papelbon-philadelphia-phillies-agree-4-year-50-million-deal-source-says

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol. Feel bad for the Phillies. Hope it turns out well for them... but I dont think it will.

As for Boston, Bard sucks also. At least they are letting the bad out.
You do know that Papelbon was one of the best closer in baseball last season right? The guy has had 1 bad season in his career and people act like he is horrible

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
You do know that Papelbon was one of the best closer in baseball last season right? The guy has had 1 bad season in his career and people act like he is horrible
I think it has more to do with the fact that big contract relievers rarely pans out for their team. If you look at the top 10 relivers/closers each year, only like 1-2 of them are actually guys that have big contracts. Closers are just too risky to be investing 50 mil into.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Game 162 + He is a jackass = good riddance.

He had a fine season... lets not act like he is part of the solution for Boston.. Especially for that money. Not going to miss papsmeer.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
lol. Feel bad for the Phillies. Hope it turns out well for them... but I dont think it will.

As for Boston, Bard sucks also. At least they are letting the bad out.
Bard had one bad month. Probably brought on by the fact that none of their starters was capable of going six innings last year and the entire bullpen was worn out by September.

Theo really really ****ed up in opting for Bedard rather than Fister last July, as Fister was the guy they needed. A starter that chews up innings without sucking. Sure Bedard has ace stuff the three or four games a year he's healthy, but for the most part he lives on IR.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I think it has more to do with the fact that big contract relievers rarely pans out for their team. If you look at the top 10 relivers/closers each year, only like 1-2 of them are actually guys that have big contracts. Closers are just too risky to be investing 50 mil into.
Yeah, and even the consistent good ones like Joe Nathan are one fluke away from pretty much losing the rest of their career.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts