Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Webber finally broke out of his funk and went off for 32 points. Iverson still got his 36 with the game winner. So do you guys think they can play like this for the rest of the season. I think as more time goes by they will play better and better together. I expect Webber to go back to getting 20 points a game. I think Philly can go on a run and make it all the way up to the 6th spot, but if they fall below that they won't make it past the 1st round for sure.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I expect them to get better once Webber stops whining about the way things our run. He isn't the coach, he needs to learn that.

If Doc River's continue's to blow games for the Celtics then Philly will take the division. After our next two games I expect Philly to be tied with Boston for the Atlantic with Doc Rivers as the coach.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
If we learn how to defend better then we would be very dangerous. The problem isn't scoring, it's stopping the other team from doing that.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Kunlun said:
If we learn how to defend better then we would be very dangerous. The problem isn't scoring, it's stopping the other team from doing that.
true, but they need to keep that offensive mentality. because they certainly werent thinking defense when they pulled the trigger on the deal. if they had a more offensive minded coach that would help. when has AI ever played for an offensive minded coach?

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Sammy D has been doing pretty well too, I'm sure he's a pretty big reason for Philly's success.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
gian said:
Sammy D has been doing pretty well too, I'm sure he's a pretty big reason for Philly's success.
Sammy's been playing well since Webber got to Philly. Having another post player to draw attention from him really helps his game.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Kunlun said:
Sammy's been playing well since Webber got to Philly. Having another post player to draw attention from him really helps his game.
Dalembert has always been a great prospect, and I think he can do much better then he's been doing with Philly because of the way you guys use him. I think he could be called upon much more often on the pick and rolls with Iverson as he's got a great mid-range jumper for a guy his size, and he should have plays drawn for him down-low when there is no other dominant big man in the game.

He's improving, but I still see him as only playing to half of his capabilities.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Whodinee said:
true, but they need to keep that offensive mentality. because they certainly werent thinking defense when they pulled the trigger on the deal. if they had a more offensive minded coach that would help. when has AI ever played for an offensive minded coach?
Great point. I think the 76ers were in a situation where they knew they weren't going to upgrade the defense with a trade, so they decided to help the offense. What the team desperately needed was another consistent scoring threat to put with Iverson, and they have that with Webber.

Korver, Iguodala, Dalembert, Thomas, and Williamson are good players but they weren't exactly those guys to pick up the slack. Thomas and Williamson thrive now in Sacto where they have well defined roles, and in Philly Webber has benefitted Korver, Iguodala and Dalembert making them all better.

People thought one way or another to an extreme saying who's won this deal, but the further away we get.. I think both teams go what they wanted. Now the question is how often Webber can go for 20+ points.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
theLegend said:
He's improving, but I still see him as only playing to half of his capabilities.
A lot of that can be blamed on Jim O'Brien because he doesn't really like Samuel Dalembert, and with Obie's defense, Sammy doesn't get a lot of chances to block shots because he isn't always in the middle. I think if Philly gets a new coach, Sammy will be used more to his abilities, offensively and defensively.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
A lot of that can be blamed on Jim O'Brien because he doesn't really like Samuel Dalembert, and with Obie's defense, Sammy doesn't get a lot of chances to block shots because he isn't always in the middle. I think if Philly gets a new coach, Sammy will be used more to his abilities, offensively and defensively.
Agreed, as I hinted in my post. Jim O'Brien doesn't call any plays his way, and although the Sixers fans may be happy with his play, I feel that Sammy can be a monster on some nights when he just isn't getting enough touches on the ball.

So many options can be used with Dalembert's great talent. It's almost a crime how he's being used. With a more polished post game, I can easily see him averaging around 18-20 ppg.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Let's not forget idol Iguodala.;) Kid's contributed without really scoring in bunches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts