Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleveland trades: Anderson Varejao ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
C Zydrunas Illgauskas (15.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.3 minutes)
Cleveland receives: C Jake Voskuhl (6.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.3 minutes)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.3 ppg, +6.4 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

Phoenix trades: C Jake Voskuhl (6.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.3 minutes)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
Phoenix receives: Anderson Varejao ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
C Zydrunas Illgauskas (15.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 81 games)

Clevand gives up their 1st rounder for 2005

Nash/Leandro
Q/Jacobson
Joe Johnson
Amare/Varejao
Big Z/Vroman

You guys get in return a top 5 center in the NBA and Varejao who has alot of heart and a underrated Brasilian PF who can play 3 positions and can really help Leandro out cause they're both from the same country and can relate and help each other

I'm not saying its realistic but if Clevand offers this to your team in the middle of the season Would you pull the trigger?

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
See, it looks nice on paper to have a lineup like that, but Big Z isn't a good fit for this team for a multitude of reasons. He's plodding and wouldn't even be a participant in half the team's possessions (at least according to what management is telling us about this team running the ball), he takes up waaaaayy too much space on the block (though he can hit the J), and despite his huge size he's terrible defensively and isn't a great "team" defender either.

It's kind of sad that the Pistons won the championship in a way, because it seems to have created this way of thinking that you have to have "studs" at all five positions to win. Phoenix has enough star power to be successful with minor contributions from center position (IE Voskuhl hustling for offensive putbacks and rebounds, which we know he will, Hunter coming in off the bench and altering a few shots while he's in, Lampe providing some steady offense when Amare isn't on the floor, etc).

Besides that, there's no way I give up Shawn Marion heading into this season if I'm Phoenix management and my plan this season is to run the ball. Marion is a terror on the break.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Big Z will be a free agent next summer (along with Ratliff). In that Big Z is already at $14.6 million, he is eligible to get an extremely big contract (well over $100 million) and may be hard to re-sign even if the Suns come up with the extra money.

Unrestricted free agents can always move no matter what the offer is. McDyess took less money to return to Denver in '98. Bird rights are no guarantee that the player won't move.

Ilgauskas is likely to prefer to play for a good team that features him rather than the power forward. Realistically, if the Cavs trade him it will be because the Cavs don't think they will be able to resign him.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
The Cavs would not make this trade. Z is actually a favorite of the owner. In addition the team actually needs more depth at the 5 position not to trade it's starter for Voskul. Marion is a nice player but I don't see the need. In addition the Cavs cannot trade their pick since they owe one from a previous deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts