Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pierce says Prince's D is overrated

Pierce said in a Boston Globe article this week that the only reason he's not on the all-defensive team is the Celtics' lack of a top-five shot-blocker, citing the Pistons small forward as an example. "Even Tayshaun Prince," Pierce said in the Globe. "I don't think he plays great defense. He has two of the best shot-blockers in the game (Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace). If a guy blows by you, then the shot-blockers block the shot and you call that great defense."

Original article

More interesting than Pierce's assessment of Bowen was his contention that he should be considered for All-Defensive first-team honors. Pierce theorized all that stood between him and some defensive recognition was the absence of a top shot blocker on the Celtics. He figures Bowen has Tim Duncan, Tayshaun Prince has Ben Wallace, and Dwyane Wade has Shaquille O'Neal.

''I don't know why I'm not on the All-Defensive team every year," said Pierce. ''I think I'm a pretty good defender. The only reason I'm not on the All-Defensive team year in and year out is because I don't have a top-five shot blocker on my team. If you look at all the top perimeter defenders in the league, they all have top-five shot blockers in the league [on their team]. Kobe [Bryant] fell out of first team All-Defensive when Shaq got traded last year. Think about it. Every team that has an All-Defensive team wing player has a shot blocker on their team. I think that's the only thing that's holding me back.

''Even Tayshaun Prince. I don't think he plays great defense. He has two of the best shot blockers in the game [Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace]. If a guy blows by you, then the shot blockers block the shot and you call that great defense."

Pierce can take comfort in the fact that the Celtics' shot blocking is much improved. Although they don't have a top-five shot blocker, Boston entered last night ranked fourth in the league in team shot blocking -- 7.25 per game.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I would agree that prince isn't a great defender he isn't on the same level as Artest and Bowen. He is in that next tier of defenders though. He has great length and decent speed and he can definetly be a little more agressive as a defender because of Ben Wallace behind him. Even without Wallace though Prince would still be considered a good defender.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I do agree with his point that those designated "great perimiter defenders" almost always have a good defensive big man on their team. It's part of the way the game works, it's a team sport. I don't think that takes away from their skill, part of that skill involves knowing when you can for example gamble and be covered by teammates and when you can't.

All that being said, Prince is a good defender.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I disagree. This is nuts.

Pierce is talking that crazy ****!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tay can guard some players great, others not so well. It's painful watching RJ take him to the hoop.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Tay is long and he plays solid D with his feet, he isnt an upper tier defender...he is probably at the upper 70%. But to Tays credit he plays his man towards 2 great defenders ( Ben and Sheed) against quick players Tay has problems keeping them infront of him.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Tay has issues with speed guys... He has long arms and can really contest the shots of the Kobes, T-Macs, etc. of the world who live very comfortably on their mid-range games, going to the hoop for monstrous athletic dunks mostly when the right opportunity presents itself (basically, they play very smart). Prince takes away their jumpers, forcing them into Ben and Rasheed, which kills their games. Against Dwyane Wade or RJ... those guys can just go by him with their lateral speed anytime, thus negating Prince's ability to funnel them in when he needs to and contest their jumpers for the most part.

-Chris.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yea Pierce is really a great defender and has a lot of room to talk...haha

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
SHEED! said:
Pierce is a punk and thinks hes great but he sucks monkey butt.

Sheed...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
SHEED! said:
i fixed it alittle bit but i dont like him at all
Thank Sheed, always remember to make your posts as high quality as possible.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
No problem.

I just don't see how Pierce thinks he has room to talk about this, he is not on the same level defensivly that Prince is.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Paul loves to talk but maybe he should lay off the team that has beat him twice already this season lol

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
casebeck22 said:
No problem.

I just don't see how Pierce thinks he has room to talk about this, he is not on the same level defensivly that Prince is.
I don't wanna sound like a *****, but if Pierce has no room to talk then what are you doing talking about Pierce?

Everybody's got their own opinion otherwise the only reporters we would have would be ex-players. Just the great ones though. Because the bad ones according to you shouldn't talk about basketball since they were bad at it.

It's like a coach not being allowed to tell his player that he is playing ****ty because the coach couldn't do any better. Or finding it wrong if Shaq were to say Wade wasn't a good 3 point shooter, because Shaq is a bad shooter so he can't comment on other people.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
thug_immortal8 said:
I don't wanna sound like a *****, but if Pierce has no room to talk then what are you doing talking about Pierce?

Everybody's got their own opinion otherwise the only reporters we would have would be ex-players. Just the great ones though. Because the bad ones according to you shouldn't talk about basketball since they were bad at it.

It's like a coach not being allowed to tell his player that he is playing ****ty because the coach couldn't do any better. Or finding it wrong if Shaq were to say Wade wasn't a good 3 point shooter, because Shaq is a bad shooter so he can't comment on other people.
Once Pierce beats the Pistons (this seson) he can talk. Peirce-being a player in the league right now, should have more respect than that for Tayshaun. Of course reporters can talk about players, that is their job and that is not at all what I am saying. We all can agree that Prince is a much better defender than Pierce, which is why I think Pierce should keep his obnoxious mouth closed.

p.s. you may want to think of shortening your signature.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I don't know what beating the Pistons has to do with whether or not Pierce can comment on Prince's D. It may have been a little of of place, random and not worth mentioning, but beating the Pistons has nothing to do with it, especially when he seemingly gets off on us everytime.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
DetBNyce said:
I don't know what beating the Pistons has to do with whether or not Pierce can comment on Prince's D. It may have been a little of of place, random and not worth mentioning, but beating the Pistons has nothing to do with it, especially when he seemingly gets off on us everytime.
It means you don't go tell someone they can't do something when you can't even beat them. Pierce is not exactly Kobe and doesn't have the stature to call people out like that. Crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts