Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pierce was named Player of the Week for the East for the second time this season. No other player in the East has done that. KG is the only other player named twice.

This isn't meant to be a Pierce-lover post, but I think it's great that the league is paying attention to the Celtics.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It is too bad that there is shame in saying that you are a Pierce-lover on this board. The debates involving Pierce on this board have been sad. It is one of the reasons I have not been posting on the Celtic board.

I do love Paul Pierce as a player.

I love the Celtics as a team.

I find it amazing that one can be a Celtic fan and a Pierce hater. I have not heard of any Sixer fans who are Iverson haters or Magic fans that are McGrady haters.

I'll say it again. I love Pierce. Apparently I am not the only one that appreciates his game as he has won his second NBA player of the week honor.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It is easy to be a Celtics fan and not be a fan of the guy who many feel isn't trying to fit into the team because he is too busy having the team try to fit into him
(remember the running game we had to have but aren't having anymore)

Ray Allen was player of the week last week too I believe (and this week. So he might have won it twice too)

Pierce did very well against Cleveland, Orlando, a loss to Detroit and a win against a Houston team that is what it is.

Great that Pierce did well but look at the teams he did it against?

Sorry I don't mean to demean what Pierce did but celebrating the performances he gave against the teams he did it against is bragging about beating, not a lot.

Sorry that IMO.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Okay, you are right. Paul Pierce deserves to be mentioned with guys like Ray Allen.

Seattle fans love Ray Allen.

Pierce has done well in most the games he has played this year.

He is among the top players in the NBA.

The rest of the NBA realizes it and other boards realize it.

This Celtics forum is the only place I have found where there is a constant stream of negative criticism of Paul Pierce no matter what he does.

This thread should be a celebration of an honor that has been bestowed upon a great Celtic player.

The NBA says that Pierce was the best player in the East last week. Whether the haters like it or not.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bad Bartons</b>!
Okay, you are right. Paul Pierce deserves to be mentioned with guys like Ray Allen.

Seattle fans love Ray Allen.

Pierce has done well in most the games he has played this year.

He is among the top players in the NBA.

The rest of the NBA realizes it and other boards realize it.

This Celtics forum is the only place I have found where there is a constant stream of negative criticism of Paul Pierce no matter what he does.

This thread should be a celebration of an honor that has been bestowed upon a great Celtic player.

The NBA says that Pierce was the best player in the East last week. Whether the haters like it or not.

U're right, I've given up on the immature posters herre who need to bash Pierce to make themselves feel good. What kind of fan is that, not a great one, Go celts.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yep

congratulations PAUL.

GOOD WORK.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Just a pre-emptive note here, if this continues as a Pierce lovers vs. Pierce haters thread, it'll be close. Not that such a thing would ever happen. :uhoh: ---agoo

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Can we all agree that once and for all there is a difference between Pierce haters and people who complain about Pierce. Pierce has his faults and I won't hesitate to point them out. that doesn't make me a hater. It makes me someone who sees that something better is there with Paul and I want it to come out.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
Can we all agree that once and for all there is a difference between Pierce haters and people who complain about Pierce. Pierce has his faults and I won't hesitate to point them out. that doesn't make me a hater. It makes me someone who sees that something better is there with Paul and I want it to come out.

I share your view agoo. But some people just don't know how to word things, or they are purposely always making comments that will fuel arguments.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!

Ray Allen was player of the week last week too I believe (and this week. So he might have won it twice too)
This was Allen's first time. As I said, KG is the only other player to be named twice, and he plays in the West. Although he's not competing with the West players, Pierce plays in a conference with Iverson, Carter, McGrady, Davis, Kidd, O'Neal, Wallace, etc. Although awards mean nothing compared to a team's record, I think it's still impressive that out of 11 weeks, Pierce has been deemed the top player in 2 of them, especially since the Celtics don't get a lot of media attention other than Baker or Danny's trades.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!

This was Allen's first time. As I said, KG is the only other player to be named twice, and he plays in the West. Although he's not competing with the West players, Pierce plays in a conference with Iverson, Carter, McGrady, Davis, Kidd, O'Neal, Wallace, etc. Although awards mean nothing compared to a team's record, I think it's still impressive that out of 11 weeks, Pierce has been deemed the top player in 2 of them, especially since the Celtics don't get a lot of media attention other than Baker or Danny's trades.

Very true. Nice post dude.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
JUST APPLAUD THAT A PLAYER ON YOUR TEAM HAS BEEN AWARDED FOR THE SECOND TIME. ALOT OF TEAMS WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A PLAYER OF THE WEEK.

FOR ONCE, CAN THIS BOARD JUST BE POSITIVE.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a chance Pierce won't be named to the All-Star team this year now that Marbury's in the conference. Pierce is seventh in the voting among guards. Hopefully, the coaches will recognize Pierce's contributions and that he deserves to be on the team (stat-wise, he's probably the best all-around guard in the conference if not the whole league), but he will not be voted on by the fans. If he doesn't make the team, then these PotW awards will probably be his only kudos. As long as the Celtics keep winning, I think he'll be given serious consideration, though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think Paul will be there

The fans won't vote him in but the East Coach will take him.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Good job Paul, keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I would rather see Pierce get the extra 4 days rest. Even if named to the All Star team, he will only play a few minutes.

The Al Star game has become a meaningless exhibition game in which no defense is played. It is a popularity contest fueled by the sneaker companies and the NBA PR machine. Most of the people who vote are 12 years old and have no idea what basketball is all about.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
I would rather see Pierce get the extra 4 days rest. Even if named to the All Star team, he will only play a few minutes.

The Al Star game has become a meaningless exhibition game in which no defense is played. It is a popularity contest fueled by the sneaker companies and the NBA PR machine. Most of the people who vote are 12 years old and have no idea what basketball is all about.
True, but it can be fun to watch sometimes. I don't think players get too tired, primarily because they don't have to play defense in addition to splitting time with the other stars. Of course, since Isaih won't be coaching this year, Pierce may actually get more minutes.

On a side note, the dunk contest has gotten pretty lame the past few years. I think Ricky Davis should be invited, but of course, he won't be. Anyway, I know a lot of people hate the dunk contest, so I won't say anymore.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My head says 4 days rest, my heart says all star game. Nothing better than watching some of the best ballers throwin' it down with some sizzle. of course it means nothing at the end of the day except as a stat for the player for his career.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts