1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
he's ON fire!!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I noticed too that Mike was clearly unstoppable as of late . Is is the coming of Baron Davis ?

It is good to see him shooting lots of FT (31 in the last 4 games) . It looks like he -at last- is agressive and not rely too much on the threes . If he manages to keep it up , his offensive FG% will increase big time.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Davis Dishes Out Another Win

Golden State Warriors forward Mickael Pietrus is on a roll lately, and he gives all the credit to new teammate Baron Davis.

Pietrus scored 21 points off the bench Wednesday night, his fourth straight game in double figures, to help the Warriors to a 113-109 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks.

Davis, acquired in a Feb. 24 trade from New Orleans, led the Warriors with 25 points, including 16 in the fourth quarter, and 15 assists. The Warriors are 10-7 since acquiring Davis and have won six of their last seven games.

"He (Davis) has really helped get the ball in my hands," Pietrus said. "He’s a lot of fun to play with and helps us all get good shots."

Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said Pietrus was benefiting from having Davis on the floor.

"(Pietrus) is happy, he is positive," Montgomery said. "Baron is getting him the ball."

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Pietrus Gets his Groove on

Pietrus has shot 49.7 percent from the field since Davis joined the team in a Feb. 24 trade with New Orleans, up from 37.1 percent before Davis arrived. During a five-game stretch from March 23 to April 1, Pietrus averaged 18.6 points; for the season, he averages 9.0.

``He's enjoying playing with Baron,'' Warriors Coach Mike Montgomery said. ``Like everybody else, he's less concerned about getting his shots. He sees the ball being shared.''

Pietrus had frustrated coaches and teammates with his propensity for taking bad shots. It wasn't rare to see one of the coaches flail his arms on the bench after one of Pietrus' rushed three-point attempts, or a teammate roll his eyes after Pietrus forced a fade-away jumper.

Lately, he has been more likely to fake that three-pointer and drive hard to the basket. As a result, he has been getting to the basket a lot more (he attempted 37 free throws during that five-game stretch). He has traded a few step-back jumpers for alley-oops.

``He's not settling for jump shots,'' assistant coach Keith Smart said. ``He has the ability from three-point range, mid-range and to drive and finish in traffic over people.''

Pietrus said he struggled early on because he didn't know when and for how long he would be playing. Wanting so badly to show how good he is, Pietrus was trying to do too much when he got his chance.

``It's hard when you don't play,'' Pietrus said.

Many in the organization point to Davis as a big reason for Pietrus' improved play. Davis has said he likes Pietrus' game, and has taken on a mentor role with the second-year player. Sold on Davis' reputation as one of the NBA's best players, Pietrus has accepted the role as Davis' understudy.

After Davis' first practice with the Warriors, Pietrus offered a token of respect: He interrupted an interview to hand Davis a Gatorade.

``He respects Baron as an All-Star,'' Montgomery said. ``He sees Baron as a clear-cut leader he's willing to listen to.''

``What us coaches say only goes so far,'' Smart said. ``You've got to have your best player step up and say something. That's what Baron has done.''

Davis has had Pietrus' ear since he arrived. In Davis' first game as a Warrior, against Detroit on Feb. 27, Pietrus took a rushed three-pointer in the third quarter. During the next break, Davis told him, in so many words, it wasn't a good shot.

``A lot of it has to do with Baron,'' swingman Calbert Cheaney said. ``Baron has given him a lot of confidence. He's making great strides.''

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's amazing how his game has changed since the comming of Baron Davis . I have always dislike his propension to take bad shots (I have always seen him taking bad shots) but thanks to the tutoring of Davis , it looks like he finally realized that it was detrimnetal to the team and too his own game as well . I'm confident that he had already heard thousands of times that he had to improve his shoot selection , but he needed it to be said by the right person , a player he hold in high regard . Now I hope that he will not always need Davis to be there in order for him to play well .

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
That's nice! He is having his coming out party with baron aboard!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow, keep it up Pietrus!! :clap:

I think it does have to do with Baron Davis. The team is much better with Davis. He knows how to find the open man. :bball:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Amazing game of Pietrus! 28 points in just 27 minutes...6 - 6 from downtown...wow

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow . This time it was really "Air France" :D . 6/6 from the 3 pt line ..After that he will feel obligated to take a lot of threes ...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
AMazing game by Pietrus!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bret said:
Is it fair to call him the "French MJ"?
no

im sorry i had to do it because i dont like mj comparisons

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
you're right, there's only one MJ!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
M.P. HAS BEEN MOST M-PRESSIVE

Over the last 12 games, Mickael Pietrus is averaging 14.5 points in 23.3 minutes off the bench, while shooting 55.7% (59-106 FG) from the field and 39.5% (15-38 3FG) from long range...He has scored in double figures in nine of the last 12 games, including five-straight games from 3/23 - 4/1, which marked the first time in his career that he has scored 10-or-more points in more than two-straight games...On 4/13 at Minnesota, he led the Warriors in scoring for the fifth time this season with 19 points in 29 minutes...On 4/8 vs. Phoenix, he registered a career-high 28 points, including a career-high 6-of-6 from three-point range -- which tied the franchise record for the most three-pointers made in a single-game without a miss (tying Jason Richardson, 12/10/02 vs. L.A. Lakers)...The career-high effort marked his sixth 20-point effort of the season (eighth career).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts