Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is the answer to our problems at the 2.
Pax should do whatever it takes to aquire him from ol' chris mullin. Now that J-rich has effectivly become THE man in Golden State, maybe they'd like to hand over the Frenchy.

What do you think it would take to get a deal like that done?

Nocioni and Davis for Fisher and Pietrus?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
futuristxen said:
He is the answer to our problems at the 2.
Pax should do whatever it takes to aquire him from ol' chris mullin. Now that J-rich has effectivly become THE man in Golden State, maybe they'd like to hand over the Frenchy.

What do you think it would take to get a deal like that done?

Nocioni and Davis for Fisher and Pietrus?
Do you think it'd take that much? Pietrus seems bust-tastic so far.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Pietrus has been playing fairly well...far from a bust...I don't think I would give up Noc for him though...

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
All I needed was an appropriate place to ask this:

Where the **** is rlucas?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jnrjr79 said:
Do you think it'd take that much? Pietrus seems bust-tastic so far.
Did you watch the Mavs-Warriors game last night? Kid is hardly a bust. He's a manchild. His shot is coming along and he is a tenacious slasher. To say nothing of his defense, which makes Hinrich look tame.

My worry would be that that wouldn't be enough to get him.

And I would hate to lose Noce. Because pairing Noce and Pietrus would be monsterous. But Deng/Pietrus should be equally formidable.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
:laugh:

Futuristxen should have a link to the realgm bulls/warriors trade app in his sig.
ScottMay should have "Where the **** is rlucas?" in his sig.

Anyway, Futuristxen and I share terribly similar "taste" in players...if such a thing exists. I'd give up probably way too much for Pietrus and am not capable of coming up with a "fair" offer for him.

I've grown to love Noc and I'd give him up for Pieturs in a heartbeat...there's probably something wrong with that. Maybe if Noc got diamond caps on his teeth...the better to Sbarro with...

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
futuristxen said:
Did you watch the Mavs-Warriors game last night? Kid is hardly a bust. He's a manchild. His shot is coming along and he is a tenacious slasher. To say nothing of his defense, which makes Hinrich look tame.

My worry would be that that wouldn't be enough to get him.

And I would hate to lose Noce. Because pairing Noce and Pietrus would be monsterous. But Deng/Pietrus should be equally formidable.
I'm not saying that I personally think he's bad, I just think that the perception in the league is that he hasn't panned out yet. I thought I remembered the announcers last night saying something about him not playing up to his potential as well. Of course, I could be hallucinating.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BealeFarange said:
:laugh:

Futuristxen should have a link to the realgm bulls/warriors trade app in his sig.
ScottMay should have "Where the **** is rlucas?" in his sig.

Anyway, Futuristxen and I share terribly similar "taste" in players...if such a thing exists. I'd give up probably way too much for Pietrus and am not capable of coming up with a "fair" offer for him.

I've grown to love Noc and I'd give him up for Pieturs in a heartbeat...there's probably something wrong with that. Maybe if Noc got diamond caps on his teeth...the better to Sbarro with...
I think you and I are pretty spot on with players as well.

I would not give up Noc for Pietrus this instant. We theoretically have our core backcourt tandem in Hinrich, Duhon, and Gordon. Yes, we need a big 2-guard role player to compliment them. Noc is really our only backup SF that can play extensive minutes (and once he learns the NBA game better) will have a very positive contribution for the team. He provides flexibility in that he can play the three and four, which makes our need for a quality back fourth PF less of a need.

If we did the Noc/AD trade, Othella would be third on our depth chart and Reiner fourth. I'm much more comfortable with Pike as our 4th guard and Othella as our 4th F/C than I am with Pietrus being our third/fourth guard, no quality backup SF, and Reiner as our 4th F/C option.

Come this offseason, if we can't sign a quality fourth guard and sign a quality F/C and wing player with the MLE, then this trade sounds good. That said, it will probably much easier to find a cheap role playing guard than to find 2 cheap players with size and have a positive expected contribution to the team.

Pietrus would also be an excellent option if we could package Duhon and AD for Pietrus, Fisher and XYZ (to make the trade work). Pietrus would then become our starting SG until Gordon is ready (which could be the start of next season anyway) if and only if we can get our AD replacement this year with the MLE.

This is, of course, contingent upon how high G.S. is on Duhon and an expiring contract for freeing themselves of mistake (Fisher) and Pietrus, a promising young SG that duplicates another player with a sizable contract. This would probably have looked much more appealing pre the Baron Davis trade, but with Baron's recent string of injuries, a quality backup PG is probably more of a need than a quality backup SG.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
"futuristxen" --

You play with my words...! What is the meaning of this...?

Nothing is real...nothing is solid...nothing but Mikael Pietrus.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I would give up Nocioni no question, but it would feel like betrayal because he came from Europe to play here, and plays hard, and then we trade him? ...So I'd think about it.

But there's no question Pietrus would help this team a lot. You have to wonder what's going to happen to him, because GS has a huge logjam at all the guard spots, and Dunleavy at SF.

So he's obviously not in that team's future.

Also, Rhyder, considering GS has Baron Davis, I wouldn't say their PG spot is a weakness. And Pietrus could play SF in a pinch if needed too.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rhyder said:
PG is definately one of their weaknesses.
I'm sure Baron Davis would have an argument for you their...with DFish as his backup? I think they're doing alright. Of course if they trade Fisher, along with Pietrus, to get younger and better and cheaper at backup point guard by picking up Duhon, it's at shooting guard they'd be weak. They've got JRich and Rodney White if Pietrus goes. Plus, Dunleavy is probably on the way out...while a top eight pick is on the way in. Hard to say what GS really wants, I guess...especially with Mullin at the fore.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense to trade any of our guards for Pietrus because then the hole that he's filling would just shift for us. If we got back some size, too, though...to fill the hole where AD would be...then we'd pull something like AD/Noc/Duhon for Pietrus/Skita/xxx or Pietrus/Biedrins/xxx...or maybe even take on Foyle.

My apologies...I'm kinda thinking aloud here and it seems like a deal between the Warriors and Bulls makes little sense...maybe if I think about it more. Pietrus would be great to just pop on into the mix, though. :)

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Rhyder said:
I think you and I are pretty spot on with players as well.

I would not give up Noc for Pietrus this instant. We theoretically have our core backcourt tandem in Hinrich, Duhon, and Gordon. Yes, we need a big 2-guard role player to compliment them. Noc is really our only backup SF that can play extensive minutes (and once he learns the NBA game better) will have a very positive contribution for the team. He provides flexibility in that he can play the three and four, which makes our need for a quality back fourth PF less of a need.

If we did the Noc/AD trade, Othella would be third on our depth chart and Reiner fourth. I'm much more comfortable with Pike as our 4th guard and Othella as our 4th F/C than I am with Pietrus being our third/fourth guard, no quality backup SF, and Reiner as our 4th F/C option.

Come this offseason, if we can't sign a quality fourth guard and sign a quality F/C and wing player with the MLE, then this trade sounds good. That said, it will probably much easier to find a cheap role playing guard than to find 2 cheap players with size and have a positive expected contribution to the team.

Pietrus would also be an excellent option if we could package Duhon and AD for Pietrus, Fisher and XYZ (to make the trade work). Pietrus would then become our starting SG until Gordon is ready (which could be the start of next season anyway) if and only if we can get our AD replacement this year with the MLE.

This is, of course, contingent upon how high G.S. is on Duhon and an expiring contract for freeing themselves of mistake (Fisher) and Pietrus, a promising young SG that duplicates another player with a sizable contract. This would probably have looked much more appealing pre the Baron Davis trade, but with Baron's recent string of injuries, a quality backup PG is probably more of a need than a quality backup SG.
The salaries do not match up in any way, however. Could Pietrus be extended and then traded in the offseason? (question for you CBA gurus).

Still, this would look like a nice team entering next season:
Curry/Oberto/Vet minimum guy
Chandler/Othella
Deng/Noc
Pietrus/Gordon/Pike
Hinrich/Fisher

MLE split between Duhon and Oberto

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BealeFarange said:
I'm sure Baron Davis would have an argument for you their...with DFish as his backup? I think they're doing alright. Of course if they trade Fisher, along with Pietrus, to get younger and better and cheaper at backup point guard by picking up Duhon, it's at shooting guard they'd be weak. They've got JRich and Rodney White if Pietrus goes. Plus, Dunleavy is probably on the way out...while a top eight pick is on the way in. Hard to say what GS really wants, I guess...especially with Mullin at the fore.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense to trade any of our guards for Pietrus because then the hole that he's filling would just shift for us. If we got back some size, too, though...to fill the hole where AD would be...then we'd pull something like AD/Noc/Duhon for Pietrus/Skita/xxx or Pietrus/Biedrins/xxx...or maybe even take on Foyle.

My apologies...I'm kinda thinking aloud here and it seems like a deal between the Warriors and Bulls makes little sense...maybe if I think about it more. Pietrus would be great to just pop on into the mix, though. :)
I edited my post. I was thinking out loud too, and then remembered as I clicked submit that BD was not a Hornet (I guess I was back in pre-trade deadline mode).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rhyder said:
Still, this would look like a nice team entering next season:
Curry/Oberto/Vet minimum guy
Chandler/Othella
Deng/Noc
Pietrus/Gordon/Pike
Hinrich/Fisher

MLE split between Duhon and Oberto
Wait, how did we get Pietrus in this scenario? AD for Pietrus and Fisher straight up? SIGN ME UP! :yes:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
AD and Duhon -FOR- Pietrus (extended, if possible), Fisher, and some throw in to make the deal work.

Like I said, GS would have to be worried about BD's health, be very high on Duhon, and not so much on Fisher after the signing.

Without an extended Pietrus and a resigned Duhon (why I said the MLE was split between Oberto and Duhon hypothetically), this deal has no chance at working. AD is just too expensive to make a talent for talent trade work, at least with G.S.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah, Rhyder, we both seem to think that a real deal with GS now that they have Baron Davis isn't very likely.

If Mullin traded Pietrus and Fisher for AD/Duhon, no matter what happens with Dunleavy, Bay Area fans would chase him out of town with torches and pitchforks.
But...giving up a sweetener like Gordon doesn't make sense for a mere "potential" player like Pietrus.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BealeFarange said:
Yeah, Rhyder, we both seem to think that a real deal with GS now that they have Baron Davis isn't very likely.

If Mullin traded Pietrus and Fisher for AD/Duhon, no matter what happens with Dunleavy, Bay Area fans would chase him out of town with torches and pitchforks.
But...giving up a sweetener like Gordon doesn't make sense for a mere "potential" player like Pietrus.
Yep. Like I said it was contingent on what both GS and we do in offseason moves to make a potential deal work.

I just don't see how Noc/AD wouldn't leave us a gaping hole at the wing or up front.

AD/Duhon for Pietrus/Fisher/XYZ sounds good on paper, but there are just too many variables, including GS might just be happy with Fisher as a good MLE backup. The deal could work, but the chances of it happening are very slim looking back at my "out loud" thinking.

It was certainly looking better if G.S. hadn't made the Baron Davis move and still was PG hungry.

Of course G.S. could tank again next year or BD could get injured again, which could stem up this trade as a possibility.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Pietrus looked great last night. Looks like he's closer to 6'8" or something watching him guard Dirk last night. Very physical.

I think I'd have to watch some more GSW games before deciding on sending Noooooccchhhh in a package for him. BTW, didnt' Baron look healthy last night? Good to see as well

1 - 20 of 24 Posts