Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pikiell has rutgers ranked 24th, their first ranking since 1979.

Also the first time ever that two New Jersey schools are ranked in the same poll (with SH)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pikiell has rutgers ranked 24th, their first ranking since 1979.

Also the first time ever that two New Jersey schools are ranked in the same poll (with SH)
The guy is flat out crushing it. One of the best coaching jobs in the country. I remember when he took the job, a lot of us figuring it was an almost impossible job but at least he’s getting paid. Now it looks like they got a bargain.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The guy is flat out crushing it. One of the best coaching jobs in the country. I remember when he took the job, a lot of us figuring it was an almost impossible job but at least he’s getting paid. Now it looks like they got a bargain.
Amazing what happens when schools find coaches that fit what they need over fit what they're told they think they need. Pikiell more or less built Stony Brook from scratch and into a consistent player even after he left...Rutgers needed that, he does that, plays a style that will get a team that isn't going to have the ability to get top 50 guys results, and it's working. It's great.

On the flip side, there is Shaka Smart at Texas. Got battered by West Virginia and is probably a dead man walking job-wise now. Remember when we thought this guy was the next best thing in coaching?

·
Premium Member
32,802 Posts
I can’t think of two more perfect situations for these two to be at- the expectations and hurdle for what is considered to be successful at both of these schools in basketball is so incredibly low/would be considered mediocre at best and likely fireable at nearly all their peer institutions, but Chambers has won an NIT, has Penn State NCAA tournament contenders and Rutgers played a mid-major OOC schedule and has won a few early B10 games and the headline is “first time ranked since 1979”. Incredible jobs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is Chambers best (and likely last) shot to make the tourney. His teams always play hard and now he has some exprienced talent. I am rooting for them. The B1G is brutally tough this year though...risk of cannibalizing their tickets to the dance

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can’t think of two more perfect situations for these two to be at- the expectations and hurdle for what is considered to be successful at both of these schools in basketball is so incredibly low/would be considered mediocre at best and likely fireable at nearly all their peer institutions, but Chambers has won an NIT, has Penn State NCAA tournament contenders and Rutgers played a mid-major OOC schedule and has won a few early B10 games and the headline is “first time ranked since 1979”. Incredible jobs.
I am confused. Is Rutgers not ranked for the first time since 1979? Is that not a long time? Why would that not be the headline? It is the same press everyone gave Northwestern when they finally got to the NCAA tournament.

This post is utter none sense. Do you ever give anyone any credit? Incredible jobs? Yes Pikiell has done an incredible job at really sh*tty job. Potentially the worse job in the country. the reason why peer institutions like ohio state, michigan, michigan state are not ok with rutgers like records is because they have an established history of winning, a supportive administration and the facilities to bring in high level talent. Rutgers has none of that. Even so Rutgers still has fired coaches for "mediocre" seasons. Over the past 22 years only one coach at rutgers has made it past 5 years. two only lasted 3, two lasted 4 and 1 lasted 5.

Rutgers was the worst job in the entire country 4 years ago. Mike Rice was never above 500 at rutgers and was fired for calling players gay slurs and throwing balls at them, Eddie Jordan in three years went 29-68 overall and 8-46 in the big 10. never above 500 in any given season. The year prior to pikiell taking over the team went 7-25 overall and 1-17. He has literally taken them from the worst major conference team in the country to a ranked team. He will have more conference wins in the big 10 this year than any rutgers teams in any conference going back to 1991 when they had 14 in the atlantic 10.

If pikiell can some how get this team to the NCAA tournament he will be a finalist for national coach of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts