Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lsgamer,1,156677.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Pippen: My last year
Vet to bow out of NBA at end of this season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

February 1, 2004, 12:41 AM CST

PORTLAND, Ore. -- In an emotional night that began with a standing ovation during player introductions and ended with a gut-wrenching 102-95 overtime loss to the Trail Blazers, Scottie Pippen dropped the subtle hints and for all practical purposes announced his retirement at the end of this season late Saturday.

"I can pretty much assure you that was my last trip to the Rose Garden," Pippen said in the postgame locker room.

Asked what it would take for him to change his mind, Pippen smiled.

"A transplant," he said.

Pippen will take the fast track to the Hall of Fame after a 17-year career that features six NBA championships and a nod as one of the game's 50 greatest players.

Pippen turned back the clock with 17 points and seven rebounds in a season-high 35 minutes against Portland in a game that featured the return of Tyson Chandler.

...17 points and seven rebounds in a season-high 35 minutes...and he looked good doin' it. It was Pip's version of "Turn Back the Clock Night." Thanks for the memories, Scottie. Couldn't have won those 6 titles without you.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Unless he and Pax negotiate a buyount. Pax is a good friend of Scottie's, so for all we know, they may have already discussed this.

Pip played great last night. It's a shame he wasn't able to give us this kind of effort all season.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
Do we still have to pay him if he retires?
It's up to the team. Guaranteed contracts are guaranteed in case of injury...not in case of player choosing to stop playing.

"Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired._ For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended._ He continued to receive his salary for the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired."

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#51

So unless Paxson told Pippen he can retire after one season and the Bulls will keep paying him (in which case, the Bulls evidently are choosing to do it), it's up to the Bulls whether they pay him for next year or not, if he retires.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
I'll feel just wonderful about this when I see him forego his salary for next year. You never know with Pip though, he's never exactly been consistent with what's in his head from one day to the next.
Mike, I'm not so sure that Scottie's salary next season is as big an issue as having an available roster slot might be.

A lot of people have concluded that there's very little chance of a luxury tax penalty being imposed next season. And with or without Pippen's salary on the books, the Bulls will still be over the cap in 04/05. But if Pip really can't play then I'm sure Pax would want his roster slot made available ASAP to increase the Bulls roster flexability should he want to consumate multi player trades.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
NCBullsFan. If pippen does indeed retire. And we buy out Jay williams, what does this do to our flexiblilty? Can you give us and example?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
The below link and quote is froom Larry ****'s salary cap FAQ. We would neither get a roster spot or money off our books unless Pip agrees to a buyout.

NC, you are welcome to add or correct me on what I think to be the right answer. I'm just learning - still not on top of all CBA logistics.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#51

51. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of two years (if the injury or illness occurred between January 1 and July 1) or until the second July 1 following the injury or illness (if it occurred between July 1 and January 1) before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then his entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, Luc Longley suffered a career-ending injury in March 2001. In March 2003, the Knicks were allowed to remove his entire 02-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoid paying any tax on Longley's salary). There is also some luxury tax relief associated with disabled players -- see question number 15 .

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!

Mike, I'm not so sure that Scottie's salary next season is as big an issue as having an available roster slot might be.

A lot of people have concluded that there's very little chance of a luxury tax penalty being imposed next season. And with or without Pippen's salary on the books, the Bulls will still be over the cap in 04/05. But if Pip really can't play then I'm sure Pax would want his roster slot made available ASAP to increase the Bulls roster flexability should he want to consumate multi player trades.
That's a good point... although I'm not in a particularly trusting mood of the Bulls willingness to pay out salary.

I mean, if they're willing to pay Pip to not play, ok that's cool. But are they going to turn around then and use the salary justifications as a reason to not take on a guy who can help them on the court?

Or, if Pip wasn't taking $5M off their hands next year, would they be more willing to acquire a guy who could help us but is somewhat overpaid?

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I tend to follow the thoughts of those speculating that Scottie is under some pressure from the Bulls to retire and he won't walk for free. No Tippin' is well known for his frugal ways, and I'm sure he'd be willing to phone it in for a year, take up a roster spot and collect his ful salary if he didn't have a chance to actually get something for nothing with a buyout. Pip will retire and the Bulls will pay him year 2 at a (hopefully much) reduced rate.

Just bald speculation, but that seems the most likely scenario.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I fear the partipants will have to show some character and class. You can't really tell from afar, but my belief is that Pippin is looking to retire not because he has to but because he wants to.

If his latest knee problems truly prevented him from performing at an NBA level, he would in my opinion be justified in quiting and receiving his full final year's salary. I think it may be somewhat in between, where his injuries diminish his ability to perform anywhere close to his standards, but good enough that he could still help us a little. If that is the case Pip should either show up for the last year or accept a reasonable buyout. He should not hold the Bulls hostage over the final year if he can still contribute, and I believe he can, he looked pretty good against Portland.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts