Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...once more, with feeling.

daily southtown

QUOTE:If Pippen were to retire in advance of the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline, his roster spot would become vacant. That would provide the front office with greater flexibility to complete multi-player deals and/or sign free agents to 10-day contracts."

does anyone else think, that at this point, it might be a good thing. to open up a roster spot for someone who isn't 38 years old with a bum knee. um, yeah, mizenkay, we do. duh. ok. so why doesn't he just GET IT OVER WITH NOW so we can move on.

this was such a PR move that backfired.

*boom*

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
hrm. I never thought about Pip taking up a roster spot. The addition of Ronald Dupree was a surprise and if we could get a role-player through either trade (a 2 for 1 deal). or a pickup from NBDL, ABA. that'd be great. Pip could always coach on the bench. He's invaluable to us, whether it be pulling EC aside or giving advice to the kids.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If he retires do we get any cap relief? Im OK with having another roster spot.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Just one more more glaring example of Paxson being in over his head.

Signing Pippen over a run at Posey or Veshon Lenard was terrible. Posey was my choice, and may not have come as an RFA but was a much better optiion than Pippen at 2 years.

Hey Pax, you just paid off Williams for a roster spot, you might as well pay off Pippen too.

BTW, wanna seal your fate as a horribull GM, go a head and trade another rising star in Crawford.

Rlucas, would you please buy the Bulls already. Don't tell me Krause wasn't right....Organization are as important as the players cause organization can make stupid trades and ruin good players.

Don't believe me? Watch the all-star game and playoffs for former Bulls contributing real playing time....

Brand, Artest, Miller, Voskhul (if Phoenix turns it around), oh the cruel irony.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Hmm, maybe Pip can dog some more people now, eh? Like I said in the other threads earlier this week, it was so unclassy since he is pretty much stealing money... now he wants to retire?

He, quite frankly, makes me sick. If he retires, he should have to void the remainder of his contract.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chifaninca</b>!
Just one more more glaring example of Paxson being in over his head.

Signing Pippen over a run at Posey or Veshon Lenard was terrible. Posey was my choice, and may not have come as an RFA but was a much better optiion than Pippen at 2 years.

Hey Pax, you just paid off Williams for a roster spot, you might as well pay off Pippen too.

BTW, wanna seal your fate as a horribull GM, go a head and trade another rising star in Crawford.

Rlucas, would you please buy the Bulls already. Don't tell me Krause wasn't right....Organization are as important as the players cause organization can make stupid trades and ruin good players.

Don't believe me? Watch the all-star game and playoffs for former Bulls contributing real playing time....

Brand, Artest, Miller, Voskhul (if Phoenix turns it around), oh the cruel irony.
How soon we forget. Do you guys remember how really, really good Pippen was for Portland just last year. It looked like a resurgent career. Yes, the knees were a calculated risk, but he was integral to that teams winning.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

How soon we forget. Do you guys remember how really, really good Pippen was for Portland just last year. It looked like a resurgent career. Yes, the knees were a calculated risk, but he was integral to that teams winning.
I don't care what he did last year in Portland. He sure hasn't been "integral" to the Bulls winning.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
Hmm, maybe Pip can dog some more people now, eh? Like I said in the other threads earlier this week, it was so unclassy since he is pretty much stealing money... now he wants to retire?

He, quite frankly, makes me sick. If he retires, he should have to void the remainder of his contract.
I'm not sure it is not the case.maybe he talked it over with Pax and actually doing the team a favour,especially if he knows stays on the payroll just in a suit and a different Job.Do u think he's really that concerned with the money issue?
I'm not so sure,but then again,I might be wrong.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!

I don't care what he did last year in Portland. He sure hasn't been "integral" to the Bulls winning.
I would never debate that it has turned out to be a really bad move. But I think it was a good move health pending. And Pax said they did "due dillegince on his knees. They had doctors check him out, and they decided to go for it.

Did you know that the Magic never had a doctor look at Grant Hill's feet before they signed him to the max contract? Now that's a mistake.

But signing Pippen was not an indicator that Pax was in over his head. It was a calculated risk that ended up bombing.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

I would never debate that it has turned out to be a really bad move. But I think it was a good move health pending. And Pax said they did "due dillegince on his knees. They had doctors check him out, and they decided to go for it.

Did you know that the Magic never had a doctor look at Grant Hill's feet before they signed him to the max contract? Now that's a mistake.

But signing Pippen was not an indicator that Pax was in over his head. It was a calculated risk that ended up bombing.
If they did due diligence on Pips knees then why did they sign him? He obviously still has problems with them. In any case, I think the Pip signing was more of a pr move than anything else. The Bulls would have been much better served signing Posey. That was my first choice.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

If they did due diligence on Pips knees then why did they sign him? He obviously still has problems with them. In any case, I think the Pip signing was more of a pr move than anything else. The Bulls would have been much better served signing Posey. That was my first choice.
Obviously the doctors thought they were in good enough condition at the time. There are no guarantees. I wanted Posey at the time too, but I saw the potential value of Pip.

This is just to say that you can make a good projection and still come out wrong. That doesn't mean you are a bad GM, IMO. I don't blame Krause for picking Jay Williams despite his motorcycle injury. Who would have known. I will always claim that was the right pick.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Obviously the doctors thought they were in good enough condition at the time. There are no guarantees. I wanted Posey at the time too, but I saw the potential value of Pip.

This is just to say that you can make a good projection and still come out wrong. That doesn't mean you are a bad GM, IMO. I don't blame Krause for picking Jay Williams despite his motorcycle injury. Who would have known. I will always claim that was the right pick.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Then again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Pip is 38-39 years old and he has had knee problems as recently as last season. If Pax was set on trading Rose the it's pretty obvious to see that this team needs a dependable option at the 3 night in and night out. I'mnot lambasting Paxson for his decision, I just don't think it was the right one given the circumstances surrounding it.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Then again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Pip is 38-39 years old and he has had knee problems as recently as last season. If Pax was set on trading Rose the it's pretty obvious to see that this team needs a dependable option at the 3 night in and night out. I'mnot lambasting Paxson for his decision, I just don't think it was the right one given the circumstances surrounding it.
Just to play devil's advocate, Jordan missed about 20 games with knee problems when he was 39 but played ALL 82 when he was 40.

I see your point ace, and it's a fair one. But I don't think this is a black and white issue.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Just to play devil's advocate, Jordan missed about 20 games with knee problems when he was 39 but played ALL 82 when he was 40.

I see your point ace, and it's a fair one. But I don't think this is a black and white issue.
I agree. It's definitle not black and white. And Jordan is Jordan. You take a flyer on him if he is half dead IMO. Pip, while a great player in his prime, was never on that level with MJ.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sometimes its hard to know when Pippen really means what he says. He can be very vague at times. However, on this occasion he seems fairly resigned to his circumstance.

"I'm going to try to make it through the season,'' said Pippen, who was held scoreless in eight minutes Tuesday night. "Next season probably is out of the question.''

"My opportunity to play has sort of passed me up,'' Pippen said. "I realize that.''

You don't know how hard it is for a professional athlete to admit to his own mortality. He's lived in his own field of dreams for nearly his entire life. A cheering crowd becomes an aphrodisiac once you've experienced it for a length of time. Pippen appears to be preparing himself for the end. I presume he and Paxson will work something out regarding his contract. which extends through next season.

There's a chance Pippen will retire before the end of the season, but he'll try to honor at least half of the two-year, $10.3 million contract he signed last summer.

"I don't know'' if he'll finish the season,'' operations chief John Paxson said. "I know he'll do whatever he can to make it through, but that will be up to him.

"I respect Scottie, and he and I will talk when the time is right. He's fighting through the best he can, and that's been more than admirable. He wants to play. It's just that he's not healthy. We knew that was a risk.''

Though he'd have been an invaluable asset as a 20-25mpg player as was originally planned, his signing did confirm to to anyone who still harbored resentment towards the Bulls that this is a new, more player friendly regime. That in itself should make Chicago a more desireable location for pro players on the move.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull28.html

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!
Sometimes its hard to know when Pippen really means what he says. He can be very vague at times. However, on this occasion he seems fairly resigned to his circumstance.

"I'm going to try to make it through the season,'' said Pippen, who was held scoreless in eight minutes Tuesday night. "Next season probably is out of the question.''

"My opportunity to play has sort of passed me up,'' Pippen said. "I realize that.''

You don't know how hard it is for a professional athlete to admit to his own mortality. He's lived in his own field of dreams for nearly his entire life. A cheering crowd becomes an aphrodisiac once you've experienced it for a length of time. Pippen appears to be preparing himself for the end. I presume he and Paxson will work something out regarding his contract. which extends through next season.

There's a chance Pippen will retire before the end of the season, but he'll try to honor at least half of the two-year, $10.3 million contract he signed last summer.

"I don't know'' if he'll finish the season,'' operations chief John Paxson said. "I know he'll do whatever he can to make it through, but that will be up to him.

"I respect Scottie, and he and I will talk when the time is right. He's fighting through the best he can, and that's been more than admirable. He wants to play. It's just that he's not healthy. We knew that was a risk.''

Though he'd have been an invaluable asset as a 20-25mpg player as was originally planned, his signing did confirm to to anyone who still harbored resentment towards the Bulls that this is a new, more player friendly regime. That in itself should make Chicago a more desireable location for pro players on the move.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull28.html
Your last parargraph is the one reason I was happy to see Scottie sign. I also had hoped that he had something left to at least help the rest of the team get to the playoffs. Injuries to him and others have shattered that idea.

I have defended Scottie on here. A lot. But seeing him play since he came back from his surery is a clear indication to me that he is done. He even confirms that idea with this article.

He is a nice "coach" have. I will always remember what he did for us all the years he played here when he was in his prime. I alsom hope that the Bulls keep him here with the organization in some capacity!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.