Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bsep09.html

Scottie Pippen is headed back to the injured list to rehab his surgically repaired left knee, but he doesn't plan to retire until the end of the season.

''Scottie and I have talked, and he wants to try to give this year as much of a chance as he can,'' Bulls operations chief John Paxson said Sunday. ''He's going to be with us for this year.''
 

·
Old-Timer
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Man, Pip's signing has been an absolute bust. Not that I thought he'd be a huge contributor but, as much as I thought he'd miss some, I didn't think he'd miss this many games.

And why even come back? Just retire now. What, he's going to come back in a month or so, play for a few games, then sit out another few and do that for a couple months, then retire? Damn, just get it out of the way.

By the way, does that guy ever NOT smile?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!
You'd think that before signing a guy to a ~$10M contract, you'd give him a physical.
He passed the physical, some how. :rolleyes:

I found this interesting.

Pippen, 38, signed a two-year, $10.3 million deal last summer. But it's likely Pippen won't require the Bulls to pay him for next season after retiring this summer.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bsep09.html

No tippin' Pippen telling the Bulls they don't have to pay him next season? That would be the right thing to do, but I'm sure there will be a buyout. Maybe Scottie surprises us?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Benny the Bull</b>!


He passed the physical, some how. :rolleyes:

I found this interesting.



http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bsep09.html

No tippin' Pippen telling the Bulls they don't have to pay him next season? That would be the right thing to do, but I'm sure there will be a buyout. Maybe Scottie surprises us?
Oooh I like the sound of that. Pippen's signing has been a bust, but getting some cap relief for next season would be halfway decent. Someone please correct me if I'm interpretting ****'s FAQ the wrong way but.... if Pippen retires at the end of the season and mutually agreed to receive no salary, then there will be zero counted against the cap and zero paid out to Pippen.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#51

That would give us ~36.3M in guaranteed salary, if you renounce Fizer, Blount and Crawford. Obviously Crawford will get some action in FA so he'd be on our cap until he resigns or signs w/ another team.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

Does this sound right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!
You'd think that before signing a guy to a ~$10M contract, you'd give him a physical.
I know I'm repeating Benny, but I can't let you call out our management like this if you're uninformed.

Paxson and the medical staff did due dillegence on Pip's knees before signing him. It just didn't work out. But in the estimation of the medical staff, he looked like he would be able to play for two more years. So it's not acceptable for you to call out the management for not giving him a physical. Call out the medical staff, if you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!


Oooh I like the sound of that. Pippen's signing has been a bust, but getting some cap relief for next season would be halfway decent. Someone please correct me if I'm interpretting ****'s FAQ the wrong way but.... if Pippen retires at the end of the season and mutually agreed to receive no salary, then there will be zero counted against the cap and zero paid out to Pippen.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#51

That would give us ~36.3M in guaranteed salary, if you renounce Fizer, Blount and Crawford. Obviously Crawford will get some action in FA so he'd be on our cap until he resigns or signs w/ another team.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

Does this sound right?
I keep a spreadsheet of our projected salary, and by my reconing, even if we lost Pippen, Blount, Crawford, and Fizer, we'd still have about $40M in salary (counting our draft pick too). Thus, we really wouldn't be able to do any better by being under the cap than we could by using our MLE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Wow is that right Mike? Losing Pippen,Crawford,Fizer, and Blount and our payroll would still be $40 million? That is surprising to me. But you are probably right. Did you factor in the Jay situation at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!


I keep a spreadsheet of our projected salary, and by my reconing, even if we lost Pippen, Blount, Crawford, and Fizer, we'd still have about $40M in salary (counting our draft pick too). Thus, we really wouldn't be able to do any better by being under the cap than we could by using our MLE.
I think our figures are pretty close.

Are you including Jay Williams salary for next season? Just curious. Actually I'm not fully sure about the 3.0M buyout, which by nature should have been paid out (counted against the cap) 1.5M this year and next. However all indications are that Jay was continuing to receive a regular salary this year up until the settlement. Since I'm not sure, I'm just going by the Hoopshype figure that Jay gets 3.0M this year and zero next.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

AD 12.0M, eRob 6.8M, JYD 5.6M, Chandler 4.8M, Curry 3.9M, Hinrich 2.3M, Jeffries .9M = approximately 36.3M total

If you include a top 4 draft pick, that brings the figure up to about 40M and you're right that would probably give us less than the MLE in cap room. Thus, it'd be a wash in terms of flexibility to make moves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!


I think our figures are pretty close.

Are you including Jay Williams salary for next season? Just curious. Actually I'm not fully sure about the 3.0M buyout, which by nature should have been paid out (counted against the cap) 1.5M this year and next. However all indications are that Jay was continuing to receive a regular salary this year up until the settlement. Since I'm not sure, I'm just going by the Hoopshype figure that Jay gets 3.0M this year and zero next.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

AD 12.0M, eRob 6.8M, JYD 5.6M, Chandler 4.8M, Curry 3.9M, Hinrich 2.3M, Jeffries .9M = approximately 36.3M total

If you include a top 4 draft pick, that brings the figure up to about 40M and you're right that would probably give us less than the MLE in cap room. Thus, it'd be a wash in terms of flexibility to make moves.
Yup, I'm including $1.5M for JWill's buyout and another $2M or so for our draft pick, which gets us to substantially the same number.

Short of some kind of massive deal like Crawford/AD or Crawford/ERob/JYD for Wallace, we aren't in position to do much. And honestly, I don't think we could unload that much salary with just Crawford as bait. If it were just him, I'd strongly consider it, but I don't think we could get, say, Rasheed, without giving up more. And getting less than Rasheed wouldn't give us enough to make an offer to Kobe.

And honestly, I'm not at all impressed with the FAs I see who are likely to command more than the MLE anyway. Manu is a lock to stay with the Spurs. Q would be a fool to leave the Clips unless they get Kobe. Okur and Arroyo don't help us much. Barry wouldn't come here.

Kobe is the only guy who's certainly worth the max, but while I'm more than willing to take a talented player off the hands of a team that joins that crap shoot, I don't want much part of the game itself. Given that we wouldn't have much backup plan, I don't much like the risk factor at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!


Yup, I'm including $1.5M for JWill's buyout and another $2M or so for our draft pick, which gets us to substantially the same number.

Short of some kind of massive deal like Crawford/AD or Crawford/ERob/JYD for Wallace, we aren't in position to do much. And honestly, I don't think we could unload that much salary with just Crawford as bait. If it were just him, I'd strongly consider it, but I don't think we could get, say, Rasheed, without giving up more. And getting less than Rasheed wouldn't give us enough to make an offer to Kobe.

And honestly, I'm not at all impressed with the FAs I see who are likely to command more than the MLE anyway. Manu is a lock to stay with the Spurs. Q would be a fool to leave the Clips unless they get Kobe. Okur and Arroyo don't help us much. Barry wouldn't come here.

Kobe is the only guy who's certainly worth the max, but while I'm more than willing to take a talented player off the hands of a team that joins that crap shoot, I don't want much part of the game itself. Given that we wouldn't have much backup plan, I don't much like the risk factor at all.
Good stuff MikeDC! OT.... Did you get your PhD yet? Let me know when I have to call you Dr. Mike :D

I'm too lazy to search for what the projected luxury tax threshold is going to be in 2004. Do you know what NCBulls thought it'd be offhand? Its gotta be an important figure b/c I'm hoping the Bulls can resign Crawford, use part or all of the MLE and still stay under the threshold. Is this fiscally possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!


Good stuff MikeDC! OT.... Did you get your PhD yet? Let me know when I have to call you Dr. Mike :D

I'm too lazy to search for what the projected luxury tax threshold is going to be in 2004. Do you know what NCBulls thought it'd be offhand? Its gotta be an important figure b/c I'm hoping the Bulls can resign Crawford, use part or all of the MLE and still stay under the threshold. Is this fiscally possible?
Dude, I'm YEARS from my Ph.D. Since I'm working full time, I haven't even bothered to figure out when I'll get it. I should finish up my Masters this summer though, so I guess maybe 3 years after that- circa 2007, I'll be Dr. Mike.

And Jalen will be a FA :)

I think NCBF put the likely cap at $44-46M and the luxury tax as very unlikely to occur at all. IIRC, if it does, it will be at about $59M from what he said though, which means the Bulls should have plenty of room to spare even if they re-sign Jamal and use the full MLE. Also, I think they've got a veteran exception this year again, which is another $1.5M (we used it on Corey Blount two years ago, and if you use it you don't get it again the following year).

I'm guessing we could re-sign Jamal for about the MLE ~$5M. Blount's probably not a bad value if we don't trade him before hand. Gill has been an acceptable backup and I'd be glad to have him for another 1 year minimum contract, although I'd ideally want him to be the fourth or even fifth guy in guard rotation. Depending on the SF/SGs we get, Jamal could go to the sixth man role.

That gives us:
1- Hinrich 34, (Crawford 14), New PG
2- Crawford 16, New SF/SG 2 32, Gill
3- New SF/SG 1 36 ERob 12, Dupree, (JYD)
4- Chandler 32, AD 8, JYD 8
5- Curry 32, (AD 16), Blount

So we have three holes I'd like to fill, and we've got three tools to fill them:

* The MLE,
* Draft pick (via the actual draft or trade)
* The $1.5M exception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
You will never see JC in a sixth man role. I don't forsee that happening at all. Marko Jaric would be great at that however. I do agree our draft pick and MLE will give us our starters at SG and SF though. I think he trades our draft pick for one and then signs the other spot with MLE. I would love to acquire Battier with draft pick. Then maybe a Voshon Lenard or Wesley Person or someone similiar with MLE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Signing Pippen was strictly a PR move and I was hoping that he would have been able to give the team at least 11PPG off the bench in 22-25mpg, but he has been slowed down by injuries.
 

·
"Meow."
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!


I should finish up my Masters this summer though, so I guess maybe 3 years after that- circa 2007, I'll be Dr. Mike.
Maybe the Bulls will celebrate by having their first post-championship winning season?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I believe Pax brought Pippen back to mend fences ..so to speak ..with the leagues players and the Bulls org. There are alot of players in this league that still look up to Pip and if he vouches for the Bulls they may be ok to come here in FA.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top