Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NBA returns to New Orleans tonight as the Hornets take on the Jazz, right after "Pistol" Pete Maravich's jersey is retired as part of the pregame festivities.

Is it just me or isnt it the Orginization that should retire a jersey and not the City? Or is he already retired with the Utah Jazz? Even so I dont think the Hornets should retire the jersey. They need to make their own history.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
The NBA returns to New Orleans tonight as the Hornets take on the Jazz, right after "Pistol" Pete Maravich's jersey is retired as part of the pregame festivities.

Is it just me or isnt it the Orginization that should retire a jersey and not the City? Or is he already retired with the Utah Jazz? Even so I dont think the Hornets should retire the jersey. They need to make their own history.
hahaaha... I totally agree with you.. It should be the orginization the "Jazz" that should be retiring the jersey...Not the city... But what a great honour for one of the best SG to ever play ball..

·
Registered
632 Posts
The "Utah" Jazz already retired his # (even though he barely ever played in Utah). That is what is expected as he was part of the New Orleans Jazz and Utah continued that franchise. However, we Maravich and New Orleans fans never got to honor him (other than a banner in the Superdome for his accomplishments) and this is our chance. I am glad that the city and state that he made his legacy in (remember he played and starred as one of the best college players ever - at LSU). I was there and glad to see his jersey in the rafters now!

R.I.P. #7 - "Pistol" Pete Maravich

·
Registered
414 Posts
Without a doubt, Louisiana should be the place to honor Pistol Pete.

What a spectacular player. He had all the fundamentals, from is pop, and mixed them in with a panache never seen before or since. Deadly long distance shooter, and maybe only Magic Johnson could equal his passing. Dribbled like the ball was attached to his hand.

My favorite pass was one he threw where grabbed the defensive rebound , dribbled just once or twice to the defensive foul line, spotted a deep basket hanger teammate , but was in traffic so he threw a behind the back, three-quarter length court , 1 bounce perfect pass for a lay-up. THREE-QUARTER COURT BEHIND THE BACK BOUNCE PASS !!!!! Try that one sometime. You can't? Nobody else can either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts