Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This situation in motown with the #2 pick in the draft is like a bad marriage that was doomed from the start. No matter what you say or do it isnt going to get any better. The worst thing that happened for this kid was to be selected by the detroit pistons. Larry Brown isnt going to want some 18 year old european who doesnt speak much english on his team and his way of showing it is to not play the guy. As in any relationship there is always one thing that seals the deal when it goes up in flames and last night had to be that one thing. The pistons were playing the cavs and they were without mehmet okur. For Darko not to get off the bench with elden campbell and zeiko rebracca in front of him is an embarrassment to everyone involved. Joe Dumars needs to save face here and move the kid somehwere where he can play. I know there are a few teams that would love to have him even if he is so young. One more thing, for all the "he's not ready" crowd ,i say, 90 percent of the rookies in the league nowadays arent ready and wasnt it Darko that has been playing against grown men since he was like 14?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No way in hell Dumars moves Darko because of Larry Brown. To trade him would be extremely foolish not only because they don't really even know what they have yet, but it would be like giving up and admitting he should have taken Carmelo.

Now I love Larry Brown as a coach, but I think at some point Dumars may need to step in and tell him to get over himself because there is no way Rebraca should EVER see minutes over Darko no matter the situation. Not because Darko needs minutes, but because he is clearly a better player right now.

Nobody has really picked up on it in the American media, but there have been a couple interviews with Darko lately in Serbian papers and he has had some interesting things to say.

I won't post exact translations because you have to be careful with misinterpreting translated quotes.

He is extremely frustrated that no matter what he does he can't seem to get on the floor and says he just wants to play. He says it makes him uncomfortable when people chant for him and he knows he won't get in.

He really likes and has a lot of respect for Joe Dumars and feels bad that he hasn't been able to get into games to justify his draft pick for Joe's sake.

Basically he just wants to play basketball and he's not getting to do it.

He really needs to get some first half minutes. As things stand right now, by the time Larry gets around to putting him in the game that fans are all on their feet chanting for him. It's hard to learn the flow of an NBA game when every single person in the arena has their undivided focus on you waiting for you to do something.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i read the same interviews, i think they run the risk of losing this guy, in more ways than one. personally i'm surprised joe d hasnt stepped in. as for larry brown, dont hold your breath waiting for this guy to be winning an titles. its not like they couldnt get anything for him. with other players thrown in to make the dollars work the pistons could get in return names like antawn jamison,rasheed wallace,abdur raheem,juwann howard if anyone thinks they couldnt i think they would be wrong.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm sure they could get guys like that but there is no way they will. Despite what Larry does, Joe will not give up on Darko like that until he's at least had a good opportunity to show what he is all about. In the long run, Darko will be a Piston a lot longer than Larry Brown will, and Joe knows that.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Who cares what Larry Brown says. In Philadelphia, Brown demonstrated once and for all that he is incapable of running a team. Despite having a Top 5 player and several potential great second options, he ran that franchise into the ground, now look at them. If I'm Dumars, every time Larry Brown tries to give me advice about how to be a good GM, I cover my ears and hum the Star Spangled Banner at the top of my lungs.

If Dumars is smart he won't let Brown turn the Pistons into the next Sixers. If that means Brown skips town, so be it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I think you have skewed view of history. The sixers were nothing before Larry Brown came, and he took them to the finals. I fail to see how he ran the franchise into the ground.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
If the Pistons trade Darko for somebody not named LeBron James then I will be disappointed. Okay, I would settle for TMac or Kobe. If I must!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts