Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the NBA board there is a "NBA Predictions" Thread most people in that thread put the Pistons at seventh, eighth or won't even Make the Playoffs. Did I miss something? Did that many teams make that much improvement?:confused:

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
No, I think many people were brainwashed by the Indiana banter that is running wild. Many people are overrating the Pacers in my opinion. They are the team that shouldn't be higher than #4 or #5 on any prediction lists, not the Pistons.

The Pistons finish #2 in the East and Billups, Prince, and Okur, but that equals a drop to 7, 8, or out of the playoffs. I don't quite understand that. It was fun to make fun of nbadraft.net for their 2001-02 predictions, it might be just as enjoyable to laugh at the people of basketballboards.net predictions when the time comes. :grinning:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yea, I don't understand it either... I thought this offseason was just the strong getting stronger, with the Nets and Pistons pulling away from the packs. (and maybe the Hornets as a close third)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The problem with the pistons for a lack of a better term is they are not a sexy team. The pistons do not score a lot of points and some of the less educated basketball fans tend to think because there superstar can do a 360 degree windmill dunk there team has a better chance to win then a team that plays good defense. Also people tend to over look team chemistry and just look at talent. Take a look at the portland jailblazers they have been one of the most talented teams in the last few years alot more talented than the pistons but they have yet to put it together as a team. Don't let some guys prediction worry you the pistons will be fine.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian</b>!
The problem with the pistons for a lack of a better term is they are not a sexy team. The pistons do not score a lot of points and some of the less educated basketball fans tend to think because there superstar and can do a 360 degree windmill dunk there team has a better chance to win then a team that plays good defense. Also people tend to over look team chemistry and just look at talent. Take a look at the portland jailblazers they have been one of the most talented teams in the last few years alot more talented than the pistons but they have yet to put it together as a team. Don't let some guys prediction worry you the pistons will be fine.
Exactly, you said it right, now I don't have to type it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brian you are a genius...

That's exactly what I was thinking Too...down to the "Sexy team "thing. I actually did type a response to that post that led off with " Pistons aren't a sexy team like the lakers mavs, Kings etc." but I didn't finish posting it. I am not worried tho. A team that plays D like the pistons do will be good for a playoff spot...a spot a lot higher than the unwashed star struck folk will admit to predict...

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
What does being sexy have to do with being a good team? Was The pistons of the 80s "sexy?" Was the celtics of the 80s "sexy?" If your good, your good.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks I apperciate the kind words genius maybe stretching it a little bit though :grinning:. Just can't wait to get the season started and prove these people wrong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay brian I got carried away

:D But i was really thinkg the same thing
as far as you true blue fan ...I agreed. the problem is the teams that get the majority of time in the ESPN and fox sports net sportcenter highlights are the teams that score points make pretty passes and do the rim shaking dunks. those hightlights educate the fans that fundamentals are boring. Also those teams like that get the majority of the TV time as far as games go. So the average fan thinks that those type of teams ....with the superstars that the NBA markets as superhuman and transcending the "team concept". Are what winners should be like. Think "st Louis rams " in football and it's the same thing. You would think they won the Super bowl last year instead of New england. Damn.

Hey while I am here....

How can anybody rank the raptors about the Pistons
:confused:

"oh Vince carter is gonna come back hard"

spare me... they played better without him down the stretch...plus they lost 2 components that bothered the Pistons in the playoffs...chris childs and keon clark

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
What does being sexy have to do with being a good team? Was The pistons of the 80s "sexy?" Was the celtics of the 80s "sexy?" If your good, your good.
We brought up the sexy term because we were trying to figure out why the pistons are being picked 6,7, or 8 in the nba predictions thread. We believe (at least I do) it is because we are not a sexy team for lack of a better word. We don't have a superstar like T-mac or PP and we don't put up 120 pts on the scoreboard like the mavs or the kings. So the pistons are a boring team (not sexy) that just plays defense which is what wins games but most people tend to overlook that. Why do you think the pistons are picked so low if you don't believe my sexy theory then?

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Okay, where would YOU rank Detroit? They aren't the only team who plays defense in the East, NJ and Boston are very good defensive teams and have a nice offense to boot.

Surely you wouldn't rank the Pistons over the Nets or Celtics.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GeorgiaSports</b>!
Okay, where would YOU rank Detroit? They aren't the only team who plays defense in the East, NJ and Boston are very good defensive teams and have a nice offense to boot.

Surely you wouldn't rank the Pistons over the Nets or Celtics.
I'd rank the Pistons over Boston for a few factors:

1) Kenny Anderson is gone. He was unstoppable in the playoff series.

2) Vin Baker didn't do anything against Ben Wallace last year.

3) We were without Zelly in the playoffs. That post presence would have helped somewhat. (not won the series for us)

4) We've added Billups, Okur, and Prince. Billups is a definate upgrade over Damon Jones, whereas Boston's PG situation is a downgrade from last year.

I now question New Jersey's ability to score. I'm guessing they will try to sign Rodney Rogers. Surely they won't rely on Kittles and Martin. The Mutombo trade no question helped defensively, but it hurt them offensively. At this point they are a little bit ahead of the Pistons in my opinion.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree about boston. Delk starting ain't gonna do it

I am worried now that rodgers was picked up by the nets tho. Deke is not even what he was 2 years ago...but in the east he is still a beast. and rodgers replaces Van horn's scoring

I won't predict spots . I just know the Pistons are way better than seventh in the eastern conference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts