·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pitching prospects progressing for Cards
Reyes, Worrell tops among corps of young mound talent

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

Adam Wainwright, RHP
Compared to his 2004 season -- his first in the organization -- Wainwright's 2005 was a smashing success. First and foremost, he was healthy, proving to be a workhorse for Memphis with 182 innings pitched. While his ERA was a touch high (4.40) and he allowed a lot of hits (204), he still showed good stuff and a decent K rate (147 led the organization). After starting strong and struggling in the middle months, Wainwright finished well, yielding six earned runs over his final four starts (26 IP) for a 1.62 ERA to go with 31 Ks and seven walks. He got a brief taste of the bigs in two relief appearances.
Audio: Wainwright induced a weak swing and a miss for strikeout No. 7

Anthony Reyes, RHP
Reyes continued riding the fast track, spending most of his second season of pro ball in Triple-A and helping out the big club with four appearances, including one impressive emergency start. With Memphis, the right-hander out of USC went 7-6 with a 3.64 ERA, striking out 134 and walking just 34 in 128 2/3 IP. For the record, Reyes now has a 5.03 K/BB ratio in his Minor League career.
Listen to Reyes close out his one-hit gem

Brad Thompson, RHP
Thompson made a seamless transition to a relief role, spending most of the year in St. Louis as a middle man. In 55 big league innings, he posted a 2.95 ERA, yielding just 46 hits for a .227 opponents' batting average. Keeping the ball down, he also had a very impressive 2.58 ground ball out-to-fly ball out ratio and looks like he should settle nicely into the Cards' bullpen for the foreseeable future.
Audio: "Split it in half with a fastball!"

Stu Pomeranz, RHP
The 20-year-old 6-foot-7 right-hander began the year with Palm Beach, but after a 3.35 ERA in eight starts, the Cardinals pushed him to Double-A Springfield. While he finished with a 5.29 ERA and too many walks (40) in 18 starts there, it should be noted he went 3-2 with a 3.00 ERA over his final six starts in August, holding Texas League hitters to a .226 average in 39 IP.
Video: Stu gets a strikeout with a 12-to-6 knuckle curve

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite Frankly said:
Of course this doesn't mean anything until they pitch in the majors.
Obviously but from what I've followed all year we have some decent pitching prospects.. The thing we are lacking in the minor's that could potentially produce is positional players.

Reyes is gonna be a good one.. he's already made a couple appearances in the majors this past year. I think he may be our #5 starter this upcoming year unless Morris and all them return which I doubt. Only thing I worry about Reyes is he's been injured quite a bit.

I'm not as sold on Wainwright as some still are though.

Let's also not forget Chris Lambert, a Cardinals pitcher, on the rise. He's currently pitching for Team USA. He may be something in the future too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts