Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2219761

PITTSBURGH -- Former top draft choice Marc-Andre Fleury was recalled Thursday by the Pittsburgh Penguins because of an injury to goaltender Sebastien Caron.

No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft was brought back for the second time in slightly more than a month. He was chosen as the AHL's top goaltender for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in October despite spending part of the month in Pittsburgh.
This kid can flat our play. He should be fun to watch.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
He has three million dollars in very attainable bonuses, inclduing playing 20 games in a season, so I wonder if they are willing to play enough to pay out that kind of money. Probably not.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
I still can't figure out why they didn't start him from day one.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghoti said:
I still can't figure out why they didn't start him from day one.
As KidCanada said money. He is paid in bonuses based on how much he plays. They have to make sure he is worth every dime.

He is by far the best goalie they have though.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
They bring in all these vets and Crosby, and they start...

Sebastian Caron??!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
In all fairness they did give Thibault a pretty nice contract and expected him to earn it. So far he's played bad and struggled with injuries.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KidCanada said:
In all fairness they did give Thibault a pretty nice contract and expected him to earn it. So far he's played bad and struggled with injuries.
I am Thibault fan but he had trouble staying healthy his last season in Chicago.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
KidCanada said:
He hasn't played a full season since '02-'03 and it was apparent that he was no good right off the bat.

It was dumb to give him a contract like that when they already had a franchise goalie there.

Does Fleury's bonus count towards the cap?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ghoti said:
He hasn't played a full season since '02-'03 and it was apparent that he was no good right off the bat.

It was dumb to give him a contract like that when they already had a franchise goalie there.

I forget if the whole bonus counts or just part of it does. I am pretty sure they will make sure he doesn't get the bonus again this year unless they can move some payroll. They don't have that kind of money laying around.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ghoti said:

HMMM...well he played seven straight seasons of 50+ games(five of them 60+), and made the all star game in 2002-2003. He was injured for the majority of 2003-2004 but was healthy during the lockout. So really when you look at it, he hasn't really been that bad. Although a two year span of not playing in the NHL is a long time, he is a proven starter.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Well Fleury got his chance tonight after Thibault got injured during warmup(puck to the throat). He made 45 saves against a first class team in Philadelphia, and led the Penguins to a 3-2 victory. Hopefully he gets to play some more games, he's a great young talent and I want to see the guy play. :|

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Here's the solution.

Don't sign a waste of cap money like John LeClair and start your franchise level goalie.

That plan makes sense.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ghoti said:
Here's the solution.

Don't sign a waste of cap money like John LeClair and start your franchise level goalie.

That plan makes sense.
I agree for the most part. Except I agree with the signing of Thibault because you can't spend that much money on a team only to depend on a 20 year old to start 60 games. That's to risky for most GM's. But please, for the love of god, give him a chance. Especially if the bonuses don't count towards the cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts