Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty quiet around here, but thought I should at least start a thread for the conference slate.

And we start with a win! Pretty exciting finish for a 1-pt win over Lafayette - Jonas with the BIG shot to take the lead with 12 secs left, Max had 20. Maybe the most interesting thing was Fletcher Tynan as part of the crunch time lineup, I think he was in there for the last 5 or 6 mins. Didn't fill up the stat sheet but made some good plays.

BU has now won 4 in a row overall. Always good to start out 1-0 in the league....

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After laying an egg at AU, BU bounces back to win at home vs. Lehigh. The difference is Mahoney was on against LU, and he wasn't against AU (also we couldn't hit 3's). Becoming very clear (if it wasn't already) that Max is the engine that makes the Terriers go, and we suffer when he is not in.

We sit at 2-1 in the league. It's weird to see Lehigh struggle when we're used to such a high level from them - the recent talent drain has hurt them badly.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Looks like we picked up another win today moving to 3-1. If we can get a split on the two road game @Loyola and @Colgate that would do wonders for our chances to potentially host a playoff game later on.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Some of the experts and posters from other message boards thing Colgate is the clear cut top team. I actually agree with that opinion but I don't see why BU can't slip into the number two spot. I like the way the team plays but one thing that needs to improve is three point shooting. BU is shooting 31% - last in the Patriot League. Harper and Whyte have shot it well enough but I'm hoping Petcash and especially McCoy can improve. Hemphill made a couple yesterday and if he can sink one or two a game that would be a nice lift in his limited minutes.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
BU blows out a hobbled Loyola team 85-53 at Reitz Arena , a place where we have struggled. While 3 point shooting was still a struggle, we got after it on the offensive boards and made a lot of high percentage shots. Now a couple extra days to prepare for the league-leader Colgate.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Domination from beginning to end - I don't feel like we get too many of those on the road!

The last two or three games from Fletcher Tynan have impressed me - he's worked himself into the rotation and now he's asserting himself more on the offensive end. I think there's still a lot of room for him to grow.

I'm with Mapp -- no reason we can't be the clear cut #2 this year (though I'd like to see us play Bucknell first).

Toughest game of the conference schedule up next at Colgate..

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colgate and Bucknell both go down last night. BU tied for first place!

Saturday's game will now determine sole possession of 1st

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Not unexpected to lose to Colgate on the road. BU has 3 very winnable games in a row now with Navy at home, @ Holy Cross, and Loyola at home.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not unexpected to lose to Colgate on the road. BU has 3 very winnable games in a row now with Navy at home, @ Holy Cross, and Loyola at home.
True. I thought we kept it close, and under the right set of circumstances we could beat Colgate - maybe at home later this year. They're quite good though, lots of different weapons.

Navy might be a challenge, but HC and Loyola are struggling - it would be a disappointment not to come away with at least 2 out of those 3.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
BU pounded Bucknell at Sojka, beating them by 20. Next up, an Army team that has won 6 in a row.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big game tonight at Army. BU in 2nd place, Army tied for 3rd. Army hasn't lost since we whupped them at home 81-59 a month ago.

According to ESPN.com, the meeting will also feature the two top contenders for POY in Tommy Funk and Max Mahoney (though I'm not sure I agree with this -- Will Rayman and Saeed Nelson will certainly be in that conversation)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
BU beats Army on the road. Two pretty good road wins in Bucknell (who admittedly is struggling) and Army who had put together a string of wins.

Season sweeps now of Army and Loyola!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are we... good?

Seems like the PL is down this year, but I'm impressed with the team after a lackluster OOC. I have good things to say about every rotation player

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Are we... good?

Seems like the PL is down this year, but I'm impressed with the team after a lackluster OOC. I have good things to say about every rotation player
Unclear! This definitely appears to be the best BU team since the Mo Watson team. We appear strong in most of the efficiency measures in Patriot League play as well.

I also think the rule changes and moving back the 3 point line really helped us this year given we aren't as reliant on strong 3 point shooting as other PL teams because of the ability of Max in the post and Whyte and McCoy driving the ball.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are we... good?

We're good. Our scoring margin is +11 per game in conference play, which is really high. Mahoney is #1 in the country by a large margin in Kenpom offensive rating for the highest possession rate category (~130 qualifiers).

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We couldn't overcome Colgate last night... disappointing result at home which pretty much sets our ceiling at a 2nd-place finish.

Those guys have a lot of weapons and will be really tough to beat in the playoffs (unless they run into Lafayette first!)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Terriers turned in a dominating performance at Navy, and Colgate dropped a surprising decision against Loyola - putting us 1 game back from the top again (not counting tiebreaker).

Next two games are big - we play the 2 teams right behind us in the standings, @Lafayette and vs. American.

Beating Lafayette in particular could be important... if we can keep them in the 4-5 seed, they'd be lined up to play Colgate in the semis and they seem to have the Raiders' number. If we lose to AU, we'd drop to the #3 line by virtue of the season sweep.

BU is playing well now - our "big 3" are hitting on all cylinders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts