Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Places I've Been (with my best stab at the official name of the place)
1. To state the obvious, The Rose Hill Gym. Been there, done that. Would like to someday be able to reminisce in the sense that the place is no longer there.
2. Duquesne - AJ Palumbo. Great town; mediocre arena, but I will say it once, who am I to cast aspersions. Apply that last thought to my entire list, please.
3. La Salle - Tom Gola Arena. Love this place. Catch things in the right moment, and the entire gym can hear you yell what is on your mind. I am well versed in this at #1 . There was a time a couple of years ago when some LS fan yelled something about a lazy call during a quiet moment, and I reciprocated with the same line some minutes later. I got some audible laughs. That might be my 2 seconds of fame.
4. Richmond - The Robins Center. Been there twice. Thought we had a chance the first time, but it resulted in a Whittenburg meltdown that made Richmond radio. Mostly went there b/c it was a good in-between with my brother-in-law who is a Fordham grad that lives in Charlotte. Nice place. We could use it at Fordham.
5. Saint Joseph's - Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse/Tom Hagan Arena. I have been to both versions. If not for the name change, I would not have known it changed, although that might be hyperbole.
6. George Washington - The Smith Center. I am a big fan of dungeons in the middle of cities. This is a fun place, though not a place you would put near the top of you list when forming a conference.
7. George Mason - the first time I went to the Patriot Center was for a Counting Crows concert that I went to with the girl I was dating back in 1996 or so. Married to said lady now, so yeah, good place, but the basketball experience, not so good. Went there with my son in 2017, bad result, but good place.

So it looks like I have been to half. I have excluded former members. Here goes my list, *in order*, of places I want to visit.
1. VCU - Stuart C. Siegel Center - Hipsters, fixies, bourbon and, oh, good basketball. They are Rams as well. Top of the someday list.
2. St. Bonaventure - The Reilly Center - If it was not so hard to get to, it would be checked off the list already. Sherpa required.
3. Dayton - Dayton Arena. Quite possibly the greatest fans in college basketball. At the end of they (the fans) are still in Dayton, so it makes sense. Just kidding! You are definitely #2 .
4. URI - Ryan Center - Minuse the Hurley years, they have admittedly had some fun teams. Cuttino Mobley, Lamar Odom, and my favorite, Tyson Wheeler.
5. UMass - Mullins Center - I was very close to going to school at UMass. I had family that were professors there, so I spent my first college Thanksgiving there. Great college town. I am note sure Central Mass could have deal with Edgar Padilla, Caremelo Travieso and me at the same time though.
6. Saint Louis - I have never been there for A10 hoops, but I have for other endeavors and it has always done me well.
7. Davidson - Belk Arena - Would like to go next time I am in the Charlotte area, but it is listed as it is for a reason.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
1. To state the obvious, The Rose Hill Gym. Been there, done that. Would like to someday be able to reminisce in the sense that the place is no longer there.
2. Duquesne - AJ Palumbo. Great town; mediocre arena, but I will say it once, who am I to cast aspersions. Apply that last thought to my entire list, please.
3. La Salle - Tom Gola Arena. Love this place. Catch things in the right moment, and the entire gym can hear you yell what is on your mind. I am well versed in this at #1 . There was a time a couple of years ago when some LS fan yelled something about a lazy call during a quiet moment, and I reciprocated with the same line some minutes later. I got some audible laughs. That might be my 2 seconds of fame.
4. Richmond - The Robins Center. Been there twice. Thought we had a chance the first time, but it resulted in a Whittenburg meltdown that made Richmond radio. Mostly went there b/c it was a good in-between with my brother-in-law who is a Fordham grad that lives in Charlotte. Nice place. We could use it at Fordham.
5. Saint Joseph's - Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse/Tom Hagan Arena. I have been to both versions. If not for the name change, I would not have known it changed, although that might be hyperbole.
6. George Washington - The Smith Center. I am a big fan of dungeons in the middle of cities. This is a fun place, though not a place you would put near the top of you list when forming a conference.
7. George Mason - the first time I went to the Patriot Center was for a Counting Crows concert that I went to with the girl I was dating back in 1996 or so. Married to said lady now, so yeah, good place, but the basketball experience, not so good. Went there with my son in 2017, bad result, but good place.

So it looks like I have been to half. I have excluded former members. Here goes my list, *in order*, of places I want to visit.
1. VCU - Stuart C. Siegel Center - Hipsters, fixies, bourbon and, oh, good basketball. They are Rams as well. Top of the someday list.
2. St. Bonaventure - The Reilly Center - If it was not so hard to get to, it would be checked off the list already. Sherpa required.
3. Dayton - Dayton Arena. Quite possibly the greatest fans in college basketball. At the end of they (the fans) are still in Dayton, so it makes sense. Just kidding! You are definitely #2 .
4. URI - Ryan Center - Minuse the Hurley years, they have admittedly had some fun teams. Cuttino Mobley, Lamar Odom, and my favorite, Tyson Wheeler.
5. UMass - Mullins Center - I was very close to going to school at UMass. I had family that were professors there, so I spent my first college Thanksgiving there. Great college town. I am note sure Central Mass could have deal with Edgar Padilla, Caremelo Travieso and me at the same time though.
6. Saint Louis - I have never been there for A10 hoops, but I have for other endeavors and it has always done me well.
7. Davidson - Belk Arena - Would like to go next time I am in the Charlotte area, but it is listed as it is for a reason.
My god, you're propagating the myth. It might be a long way away, but it's not that hard to get to. In fact, Bona84 just made the drive yesterday. I'm not sure his exact route, but all you would had to do is jump on Metro North to Tarrytown or Peekskill and you could have hitched a ride with him. I suspect he's got a new ride since the last time I saw his car, but I can assure you that you would have been transported in extreme comfort.

·
Piker
9,142 Posts
Ace, it is not nice to stereotype. If you do come to the Stu make sure not to trip over the PBR cans.

Reactions: Steve81

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Ace, it is not nice to stereotype. If you do come to the Stu make sure not to trip over the PBR cans.
He went to Robins twice and was confused. Thought you'd get bourbon in all of Richmond. Glad you straightened him out.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts

My god, you're propagating the myth. It might be a long way away, but it's not that hard to get to. In fact, Bona84 just made the drive yesterday. I'm not sure his exact route, but all you would had to do is jump on Metro North to Tarrytown or Peekskill and you could have hitched a ride with him. I suspect he's got a new ride since the last time I saw his car, but I can assure you that you would have been transported in extreme comfort.
Don’t be silly ace, your women’s basketball team made it. I just ran into a few of them in the hotel lobby.

An easy 5 and half hour drive, res. From Westchester, North on I-684, then West on I-84, to Rt. 17/I-86, the latter of which switches back and forth between 17 and 86 over the course of the good journey West. So, it’s all interstate or interstate-like, as 17 hasn’t been fully converted to I-86. It’s a beautiful drive, too, from the lower Hudson Valley, then through the Catskills with the Northern parts of the Delaware and Susquehana rivers and many creeks snaking under and beside 17/86, and then across the Southern Tier of NYS to the Enchanted Mountains. I don’t make the drive enough.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I know every bit of that route very well, though I haven't been on the Middletown to Binghamton segment in some time. I just didn't know if you might have taken some back roads over to Beacon. I didn't want to send ace to the wrong station.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I know every bit of that route very well, though I haven't been on the Middletown to Binghamton segment in some time. I just didn't know if you might have taken some back roads over to Beacon. I didn't want to send ace to the wrong station.
Wouldn’t ace be following directions from your neck of the woods, res?

Anyway, I find that the back roads over to the Bear Mountain Bridge seem to take a bit longer. Going the route I took, it’s all interstate or interstate-like, with the exception of about 2 miles at the start and a mile at the end.

The Middletown to Binghamton segment is the most beautiful part. Although, rightfully so, the speed limit is reduced from 65 to 55 in some sections as you wind through the lower Catskills. If they could just figure out the wacky interchange of I-81, I-88 and Rt. 17 in Binghamton. It’s crazy, but it seems like that interchange has been under construction since I first started passing through it in 1980.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Wouldn’t ace be following directions from your neck of the woods, res?
ace's current address is unknown to me. I just assumed he was another New Yorker who was reticent to cross the Hudson or head upstate to Yonkers.

·
Piker
9,142 Posts
ace's current address is unknown to me. I just assumed he was another New Yorker who was reticent to cross the Hudson or head upstate to Yonkers.
He could kayak the Hudson to the Allegheny River.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Baltimore. Additionally, a bunch of my post was tongue in cheek.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I got the tongue in cheek part, so was mine.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with the Charm City. Just ask JonBoy.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
If you can come up with a way he could do that without a series of significant portages from Lake Erie or, alternatively, having him come down the intercoastal waterway, across the Gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi to the Ohio, and then up the Allegheny, then I bet you could have found the Northwest Passage back in the 1500s.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
If you can come up with a way he could do that without a series of significant portages from Lake Erie or, alternatively, having him come down the intercoastal waterway, across the Gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi to the Ohio, and then up the Allegheny, then I bet you could have found the Northwest Passage back in the 1500s.
Now we are in business.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I’ve been to Atlantic 10 games at:

Bona
Dayton
Richmond
VCU
Duquesne
Fordham
Saint Joseph’s
Rhode Island
George Washington
LaSalle
UMass

Temple
Xavier
Rhode Island Keaney Gym
UD’s Frericks Center (women’s game when UD Arena flooded. That was fun)

Philly Spectrum A-10 Tourney
UD Arena A-10/NCAA games
Cincy US Bank Arena A-10 Tourney
DC Capital One A-10 Tourney

Buffalo (NHL) Arena
Rochester War Memorial (Bona reg, UD/SJU NCAA)
Cleveland Convocation Center (Bona’s NCAA)
Dallas American Airlies Arena (Bona’s NCAA)
Indianapolis First Market Arena

Akron
Arkansas Walton Arena (Game)
Arkansas Barnhill Arena (Practice)
Ball St
Cincinnati
Florida International
Maryland (Cole Fieldhouse)
Marquette (MECCA)
Miami Ohio
Ohio State
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Tulane
Wright State

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Thats one route, res. Or, the Hudson, to the Mohawk and Erie Canal, to the Mighty Genesee down through the Grand Canyon of the East would get him close. The sherpas could guide him the rest of the way.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I don't know, '84, he'd still have several portages around the multiple falls in Letchworth, and then from the Genesee over to, say, Oswayo creek (which I'm not sure is navigable except in flood stage), and then he could pick up the Allegheny near Portville. I still say his best bet if he's going that route is to continue on the canal until he reaches the Niagara at Tonawanda. He can then go up the Niagara to Lake Erie. There used to some sort of portage along some creek between Dunkirk and Erie, PA that would get him to the Allegheny somewhere along the NY/PA border.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I’ve been to Atlantic 10 games at:

Bona
Dayton
Richmond
VCU
Duquesne
Fordham
Saint Joseph’s
Rhode Island
George Washington
LaSalle
UMass

Temple
Xavier
Rhode Island Keaney Gym
UD’s Frericks Center (women’s game when UD Arena flooded. That was fun)

Philly Spectrum A-10 Tourney
UD Arena A-10/NCAA games
Cincy US Bank Arena A-10 Tourney
DC Capital One A-10 Tourney

Buffalo (NHL) Arena
Rochester War Memorial (Bona reg, UD/SJU NCAA)
Cleveland Convocation Center (Bona’s NCAA)
Dallas American Airlies Arena (Bona’s NCAA)
Indianapolis First Market Arena

Akron
Arkansas Walton Arena (Game)
Arkansas Barnhill Arena (Practice)
Ball St
Cincinnati
Florida International
Maryland (Cole Fieldhouse)
Marquette (MECCA)
Miami Ohio
Ohio State
Northern Illinois