Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread for pointing out players that seem to be improving or breaking out, following a stretch of good play.

Tristan Thompson comes to mind. He's being a double double per night guy this season, particularly so throughout January. Hopefully he can maintain it. He's young, but he has talent.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
This is a very low level break out but Austin Daye comes to mind. In my eyes, coming into this season, there was a good chance that this would be his last season wearing an NBA uniform. He couldn't seem to handle the contact of regular season basketball. Lights out in summer league and preseason when there's no real contact out on the floor but as soon as someone put a body on him one time, is physical for a minute he seemed to wilt. This year? He's proven he has a place in this league. His shooting has been consistently strong. Followed a ridiculous December by, through 5 games, continued to hit at a strong clip in limited time.

His body may never fill out enough to let him really play small forward - but his length allows him to stay back on defense and helps eliminate some of his foot speed disadvantage. And honestly - as odd as it is with him playing the 2 as a 6'11 player - there's always been room in the league for a SG that can knock down a 3 any time you ask and can't play good defense or do much else. Just his emergence as a potential NBA caliber role player is a breakout in my eyes.

·
26,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DeMarcus Cousins has lifted his game in January to where he should've been since the start of the season. For the month to date:

21.8ppg
12.5rpg
3.8apg
1.5spg
0.8bpg
33.4mpg
50.8% fg
79.4%ft

Those shooting % are most important. Good to see him get back on track.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
DeMarcus Cousins has lifted his game in January to where he should've been since the start of the season. For the month to date:

21.8ppg
12.5rpg
3.8apg
1.5spg
0.8bpg
33.4mpg
50.8% fg
79.4%ft

Those shooting % are most important. Good to see him get back on track.
Hold rusted metal, Batman! Are those really his numbers in January? That's seriously stepping it up. I'd love to see him continue that tear.

It also should be mentioned that Joe Johnson is finally getting it together. He's turning it over a lot less this month and shooting it a lot better (45 fg/41 3p/92 ft).

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Someone better mention Paul George.
This morning I gave serious consideration to posting that Paul George definitely doesn't make the list because he's a flash in the pan similar to Mike James' one big year just to see what you would do.

·
26,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hold rusted metal, Batman! Are those really his numbers in January? That's seriously stepping it up. I'd love to see him continue that tear.

It also should be mentioned that Joe Johnson is finally getting it together. He's turning it over a lot less this month and shooting it a lot better (45 fg/41 3p/92 ft).
Yeah, Demarcus has been doing work in January. Huge numbers, had 21/16/5/3 steals last night too.

Paul George has also been huge throughout December/January, but could improve his FG%. His overall game is at another level now though.

Bradley Beal motoring now for the Wiz too. Has improved every month, and is now at 18.8 / 3.6 / 3.4 / 1.4 steals on 46% fg and 61% 3fg (!!!!) and at 2.8 treys per game in January. Wow.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been awesome having Paul George on my fantasy team! Bledsoe, Vucevic, and Raymond Felton? He was almost a nobody last year and hes having a great season (before his injury of course)

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Grievis Vasquez.

/thread

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Care to explain? (Not disagreeing with your choice in Irving, just curious.)
He had a really good rookie year, but this year he's taken a rather large step forward. He's not a "breakout" player in the traditional sense because he's always been good, but I felt obligated to show him some love. Tristan Thompson too.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
This morning I gave serious consideration to posting that Paul George definitely doesn't make the list because he's a flash in the pan similar to Mike James' one big year just to see what you would do.
A mix of crying and insulting would ensue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts