Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after watching much of the first five games i have a few throughts about what players have really stepped up there game and who we are still waiting for.

1. With all due respected too those who had mixed feelings (and i am looking in the mirror here) duhon has really picked up his game this year. If you look at his stats his shotting % is way up as are his 3s. And his assist to To is like 7. His defensive is better and he is really driving to the rim hard. Not to mention how well he seems to be running the offensive. I looked last night and i think he was averaging just over 1 To per game. I mean he is playing great.

2. KH has also really stepped up his game. As i have watched him he just looks really sure of himself out there. His D looks better, he is shotting 3s and his jump shot much better and unlike his first two years he has finally figured out how to drive to the hoop as we saw the last two prossessions of the NJ nets game. The one thing is he still has to many TO i dont know why but i hope this takes care of itself. But right now KH is have an allstar season. And the thing i am really impressed with is he is averaging 17 1/2 or so pts per game on only 12.5 shots a game. For a PG that is HUGE. Is he a pg?

3. Ben Gordon is definately playing better than the start of last year but he still looks a little unsure out there. His shotting % is low and too many TOs and i still think he is determine his role on the team. Last night he looked great but 4 TOs too. He is playing much better D and looks really under control. I think he will but he has not really picked his game up yet, but look out when he does.

4. Deng has also struggled until last night. His injury has really set him back. Looks unsure out there until the jazz game. And he is going to the rim like he is worried he will get knocked to the floor and he doesnt want to get injuried again. He had 21 pts last night on like 12 shots. If the bulls start a run and win some games on this road trip i think it will be deng who need to step up and play like he did last night. He was everywhere. In some ways i really think he could be the leading scorer on the bulls. He seems to be able to get a shot anytime he wants it and he seems to score so easily.

5. And lastly noci who, i love watching, has really looked awful. Except for the 2nd half last night he has looked really awful. Slow, bad shot selection, stupid fouls. I really throught he would come out this year and really kick butt but i think all the changes in the team has made it harder for him to find his spot. I really wish skiles would start deng so noci could come of the bench.

I cant decide about chandler yet since he is not in shape yet and is playing a new position.

IMHO these are the guys who will make it go this year

Last year the bulls were 0 and 5. Who do you think has really stepped it up and why.

david

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
It's really great to see the team getting more comfortable. It seems like each game they've just gotten better and better. Our guards have been terrific overall, especially with how undersized they are. The only gripe I have is that we're getting outrebounded by a pretty large marin (about 8 per game) and we're giving up far too many offensive boards. Comes with the territory of being undersized I guess.

But with that said, allow me to make a bold statement. I think we are 1 player away from being a contender. I think we're set at the wing positions (i.e. PG/SG/SF) for the long haul; think about it, we've got the defense, the long range shooting, the slashing, the ball control and passing, and just overall great chemistry. Maybe toss in a 4th guard with size (Basden's looked good in his limited time, IMO), and I think our wings are championship worthy. As a UNIT, they seem to hold their own, game after game, against even the best competition.

So the question is, who's the 1 player to put us over the top? The closest I can say is it pretty much HAS to be a PF/C type, all-star worthy, who can do a little of everything (Tim Duncan is the ideal mold of what we need). Once we get a player like this, not only are we sustaining great defense and team play, but we've closed the gap on our current weaknesses (rebounding in particular). When that happens, we'll be a truly special team. I won't go into HOW we can get a player like this, only that we have the assets to make it happen in the foreseeable future (although deep down, I'm hoping Shelden Williams is the guy...I think he's gonna be special).

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
At the very top is Chris Duhon.

He's averaging 0.8 TOs a game while leading the team in assists. Wow!

47% shooting. #4 in the team in FGA. #4 on the team in rebounds per game.

Leading the team in steals and minutes played as well.

MVP of the team so far, IMO. What a coup to get a player like that in the 2nd round.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
I agree. I think Duhon has stepped up his game the most. Not only is he playing D, but he has improved his offense. I no longer cringe when the guy shoots a wide open three pointer because now it looks like he can hit it. If he keeps improving his offense, he's going to be a hell of a player.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
If Duncan is added to any team, that team becomes an automatic contender. We do have a nice team - one that many people are not sure how these guys win games. They don't have an All-star. They don't have one consistent offensive player. They just have a bunch of guys knowing how to play and play hard.

When it comes to adding players, i am not sure if we can do it and not losing someone who is important. I expect Paxson to take it slowly. May be, we can add Harrington for cheap this summer. He is physical and offesnively-deffesnively minded. With the two picks, we might be able to add some depth on the bench - even stronger than the current team with Deng and Gordon. Once that is done, i expect a trade to find that All-Star or Superstar.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
PD said:
If Duncan is added to any team, that team becomes an automatic contender.
I disagree. Duncan absolutely needs his solid backcourt to balance things out in order to make them winners. If you put Duncan in Garnett's situation where you have one of the worst backcourts in the league and mediocre frontline players, then you're not much better than .500. People have always said the same thing about Shaq, but I never agree with that either; Shaq has ALWAYS had the benefit of a superstar guard to play with.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think we necessarily need an All-Star PF/C... I just think we just need a 6'11 or 7'0 250-260lb PF/C that's a good banger and rebounder with a decent inside game to complement tyson and we'll be a contender

Hopefully that will be Nene when we pick him up next year... I hope Pax can get someone this year to improve our rebounding though

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the bulls are one player away i think the player is Kevin Garnnet. And he may be on the market. The problem is we would have to give up the knicks lotto to be pick and likely the switch picks in 2007, that would also be the knicks pick (could be lotto).

We wouls also have to give up someone like BG and another one of are big men even chandler. I am not sure i think we should do that but my guess is minny is close to blowing up the team and stock piling lotto picks and rebuilding by being under the salary cap.

david

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
At the very top is Chris Duhon.

He's averaging 0.8 TOs a game while leading the team in assists. Wow!

47% shooting. #4 in the team in FGA. #4 on the team in rebounds per game.

Leading the team in steals and minutes played as well.

MVP of the team so far, IMO. What a coup to get a player like that in the 2nd round.
Seeing us stick with a team like Jersey this year makes me wonder whether our three short guards are actually an excellent backcourt for years to come. With the emerging defensive skills of Gordon, the remarkable play of Duhon, and the solid shooting of Hinrich, these guys are really good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i couldn't agree with you more, dmd.

some people think we have a gluttony of quality guards in that a trade would have to take place at some point in the future b/c all three are starting quality, not to mention the height thing. but i think the opposite is true.

the 2 guard positions provide 96 mpg. that's 32 per player. now if skiles give one of them 39 mpg, then we have a problem, b/c we might have a disgruntled player. but given the frequency of injuries - each player is pretty much guaranteed to average more than 32 mpg.

and i really don't think the height is a problem at all. neither does the late 80's detroit backcourt. that backcourt thinks we're actually pretty tall. isiah, vinny, and dumars would have loved to have our height. and certainly defense wasn't their weakness.

depth, it's a beautiful thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts