Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adonal Foyle - He's a class guy and one of the smartest players in the league. Plays for a bad team already crowded with big men.

Larry Hughes - Another nice guy who contributed to the community. Big upside, no shot, and has landed in bad situations. Call Golden State the worst place to bring out young talent. Heck, I pity every player that has had to wear a Golden State uni the past few years.

Derek Fisher - On a team full of arrogance, this guy is the most humble. When someone like Shaq says something negative to the press, Fisher always seems to say the right things without coming off as brash. D-Fish will also be overlooked by the Lakers brighter stars.

This year's Clipper draft picks - C'mon, how are they to find PT behind Elton Brand? I hope the Clips do find a way to land Baron Davis or Andre Miller and give the rookies a chance to shine elsewhere.

Peja S. and Doug Christie - Choked almost as bad as Spree did P.J. in the playoffs. They won't be forgetting the 4th quarter in game 7 anytime soon.

Gary Payton - Separated from his favorite coach (Karl) now has to shoulder the blame from the media for not being able to carry the Sonics deep into the playoffs.

Jayson Williams - Had it all..... now he could lose it all.

Tracy McGrady - I know a lot of Toronto fans hate his guts, but come on, would have have become the player he is today playing in the shadow of VC? I think not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i dont pity any player in the NBA. they all make millions of dollars and i aint giving them my sympathy along with my money. actually nm, im not even giving them my money.

·
Registered
162 Posts
duncan after last years western conference semis, you can tell he actually thought they had a chance in all of those games. lack of another scorer and perimiter defense let kobe run wild on em in the 4th.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know he's gone and retired but Craig Ehlo will always have my pity. MJ owned him

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Keith Van Horn...he gets ripped by everyone. He may be overpayed but he isn't that bad. he got it from steph, martin and the press. Of course, he could play better, but he is a great guy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I really don't pity any of these NBA players. Like Brick said they make millions to play basketball. The only ones I would feel sorry for, if I had to choose would be Karl Malone and John Stockten. They were loyal to the Jazz, fierce competetors and seem like class acts. The only problem is that they were in their prime about the same time as Jordan. You just couldn't beat MJ he was that good.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by Brick
i dont pity any player in the NBA. they all make millions of dollars and i aint giving them my sympathy along with my money. actually nm, im not even giving them my money.
Exactly, one of them makes twice as much as everyone on this site combined.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rafer Alston A.K.A. Skip to My Lou

He's an amazing player. He's a street balling LEGEND, but he doesn't get minutes because he plays under the shadow of Sam Cassell, who himself is a great point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
not even

Not even Popeye Jones the brother looks like Shrek.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Well...

I pity Popeye Jones because he looks like Shrek and Tyrone Hill because he looks like something Shrek has eaten a time or two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i would have to say malone and stockton. both future HOFers and i forgot how many consecutive times they made it to the playoffs, made it to the championship twice and they never won a ring. that has to hurt a lot.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Stockton Malone, yeah they should have gotten at least one ring.

So should have Ewing, probably, and Sir Charles.

But rings don't go to champions, the true warriors of the court... they go to championship teams. That's not Ewing's fault, or any of the other players, but it's good to know that the rings go to the best team, and not just the team with the best players.

I pity Jeff McInnis, and any other player that's made junk money while being among the better players in the league. I know that everyone can say that hey, 800k is a heck of a lot more than I will ever make over the next FIVE years, but money is a relative thing. It must suck that Kobe Bryant, at 20 years old, could buy a $10+ million mansion when Jeff McInnis still lives in a 2500 sq ft suburbian house. Nothing wrong with the suburbs... I love middle class living more than anyone else. But the fact is, basketball players get paid a lot, and if you are a player that doesn't get paid a lot but does the same amount as everyone else, then it sucks to be you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I pity guys like Rick Fox, Wally Szczberiak, and Chris Webber for having good looks, being multi-millionaires with hot wives/GFs, having to live in those ran down old mansions witht he 12 foot pool, tennis court and indoor basketball court, and I also pity them for having to drive multi-hundred thousand dollar cars.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
OKAY we all know that basketball players in the NBA have made it big time with good fortunes and all that.. we all know that they have ridiculous amounts of money that even i-bankers and highly paid lawyers dream of.

But please. You can still pity someone with a lot more money than you. And also, I don't think we mean having pity as in feeling sorry for their horrible life... I think we mean pity as in feeling sorry for them as players of the sport that defines their lives.

If a guy built up his fortune, day and night, and put all his worth, blood-sweat-and-tears, to build up a company that ended up being worth about $8 million, sold the company for $3 million because he trusted the buyers, and then finds himself getting screwed out of $2 million of his $3 million later? It's more than money that's being argued about; it's the worth of his work. It's being cheated out of what you have worked hard to be worth.

Would you have no pity on this man, saying that well at least he's got a nice house and a tite car and he's a millionaire...

True, NBA players might not work as hard as everyone else for their money. Does this make them unpitiable? Is it their fault that professional athletes in the States make that much money? If you were in their position, would you happily accept $5 million less than what the free agent market price on you is, just to save management a little breathing space and because you have this noble love of the game?

If this is the case, then any entertainer is never worth their money. Rock stars and famous artists are paid millions just to do what they love in life... do we aim our greeny envy at them just because they get paid so much?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
These are some of the NBA players who I have at least some pity for... (as much as one can have for multi-millionaires with expensive homes and cool cars and gorgeous girlfriends)

Karl Malone/John Stockton: I paired these guys together because they're pretty much destined to be remembered together; as the Jazz Hall of Famers who never got a championship ring because they unfortunately were in their prime at the same time as Michael Jordan.

Reggie Miller: Same thing pretty much. Reggie deserves a ring, man. Come on, the best 3-pt. shooter ever should have at least one ring.

Larry Hughes: I think this guy could have been a really good SG if his situation had just been better.

Mitch Richmond: Good career with Kings, but in his only championship season he was a bench warmer.

Mark Madsen: The joke of the NBA; I know it's all in good fun, but come on, how much does it suck that you get attention because of how BAD you are?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts