Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article in the Post talks about the better play of Andre and Earl under Coach Karl.

With the Nuggets on an 8-1 tear in March, their two point guards have spearheaded a team-wide surge of generosity. Denver has averaged 27.9 assists per game over that stretch, on the strength of 7.8 from Miller and another 7 from Boykins. Sacramento, the NBA's best passing team, averages 24.3 assists per game.

And the numbers keep climbing. Denver set an NBA season best with 40 assists in a win Wednesday over Charlotte. Friday, Miller and Boykins each handed out 10-plus assists for the second straight game, against the Los Angeles Clippers. No Nugget duo had done that once since 2000-01.
Also, the article talks about the changes Coach Karl has been making to the offense

Coach George Karl knew he wanted to change the tone, not the actual playbook, of the offense when he took over. He has been emphasizing more passing, less dribbling and trying to take advantage of officials being directed to call perimeter fouls more closely.

Karl said just about everyone on the team can pass, which helps avoid the one-on-one, back-to-the basket play so common throughout the NBA.

Added forward Kenyon Martin: "Every game we are learning to play with the pass. Things like that, instead of holding the ball. Coach has been preaching. We're learning. We're getting better at that."

The Nuggets have taken only a step in the direction Karl would like to head. He has started running a system in practice without set plays; a series of screens and quick passes meant to spin a defender's head. Even though the Nuggets barely have used that system in games, Karl said just working on it in practice gives the offense better flow.

"What I think is good about the passing game is it teaches you how to play basketball," Karl said. "When a play breaks down or someone breaks into penetration off a play, basically you're playing basketball. You're not running a play."
I have been very impressed with the improvements Coach Karl has made with this team in such a short time. The previous coaching staffs didn't know how to get the best out of the players on the roster. Granted, part of that is getting Melo to buy into the team's system, but the other part is having a real system.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Great article amazing stats by the Nuggets with the Assists! Very impressive. So much of that article quoting the players and talking about the change in the Nuggets has so much to do with Coach Karl. He is able to tweak the offense add his own command and vision to this team. Its all the Nuggets needed it seems as they are on an amazing run right now under Karl. Check out these stats out of that article.

Going up
Wins, scoring and assists are up under new coach George Karl.

Before | After

Record 17-25 | 18-5

Points per game 94.9 | 100.3

Assists per game 22.3 | 24.4

Fast-break points 16.5 | 21.2

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When healthy, the Nuggets have a very deep and talented front court that is almost perfect for the type of defense and offense Karl likes to run. Camby and Kenyon both defend well and those two plus Nene are all good passers. As Melo buys into Karl's coaching and Andre and Earl continue to push the tempo, this will become a very dangerous team.

Now that the Nuggets are moving faster and have an offensive flow (i.e. people moving without the ball) the need for a shooter to open up the floor spacing is lessened. This allows Karl to mix and match at the SG position with defense, shooting and ball handling.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
cpawfan said:
When healthy, the Nuggets have a very deep and talented front court that is almost perfect for the type of defense and offense Karl likes to run. Camby and Kenyon both defend well and those two plus Nene are all good passers. As Melo buys into Karl's coaching and Andre and Earl continue to push the tempo, this will become a very dangerous team.

Now that the Nuggets are moving faster and have an offensive flow (i.e. people moving without the ball) the need for a shooter to open up the floor spacing is lessened. This allows Karl to mix and match at the SG position with defense, shooting and ball handling.
Great post!

I agree whole heartedly. And I can't say it enough but the addition of Person is a blessing for the Nuggets. I just hope that now with everything starting to click with the Nuggets that a Healthy Voshon coming back for playoff basketball if possible will take this team to even a higher plateau.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23AirJordan said:
Great post!

I agree whole heartedly. And I can't say it enough but the addition of Person is a blessing for the Nuggets. I just hope that now with everything starting to click with the Nuggets that a Healthy Voshon coming back for playoff basketball if possible will take this team to even a higher plateau.
A healthy and well conditioned Vo could be a boost for the team, but as I stated in the other thread about Vo, I'm not sure I would want a partially healthy Vo on the roster over one of the group of Russel, Buckner and DJ.

Who would you put on the IL to bring Vo back onto the active roster?

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
cpawfan said:
A healthy and well conditioned Vo could be a boost for the team, but as I stated in the other thread about Vo, I'm not sure I would want a partially healthy Vo on the roster over one of the group of Russel, Buckner and DJ.

Who would you put on the IL to bring Vo back onto the active roster?
Only one I might even think about putting on the IL and only if VO is playing awesome basketball come playoff time is Russel. Although I like his size and experience a lot.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
23AirJordan said:
Only one I might even think about putting on the IL and only if VO is playing awesome basketball come playoff time is Russel. Although I like his size and experience a lot.
Russel, because of his size, is the best weapon off of the bench if Melo gets in early serious foul trouble. During the course of a game, Karl does use Person or Buckner at that spot, but generaly not for extended minutes. I'm not trying to pick on Vo, but he does make the Nuggets a shorter team.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
cpawfan said:
Russel, because of his size, is the best weapon off of the bench if Melo gets in early serious foul trouble. During the course of a game, Karl does use Person or Buckner at that spot, but generaly not for extended minutes. I'm not trying to pick on Vo, but he does make the Nuggets a shorter team.
Yeah that's very true. I was thinking more narrowly about Russel just in the SG position. But you are right he is more versatile. Vo has many obstacles ahead of him if he wants to be a member of this Basketball team. Let alone his starting position back.

Who else do we have on the Denver bench that could play a solid SF role besides Anthony and Russel ?

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
23AirJordan said:
Yeah that's very true. I was thinking more narrowly about Russel just in the SG position. But you are right he is more versatile. Vo has many obstacles ahead of him if he wants to be a member of this Basketball team. Let alone his starting position back.

Who else do we have on the Denver bench that could play a solid SF role besides Anthony and Russel ?
It really is just those two. Buckner, Person and DJ could all play there, but all have limitations and could be over powered. The other posibility is to go big across the front and move Kenyon to the SF for small stretches. He can certainly defend the position, but it does change the offense a bit because he isn't as reliable from the perimeter as the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts