Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always talk about points per game in basketball, but that number gets skewed after a couple games with low minutes.

What if we measured by points per minute?

Here's how it works. Simply divide the points a player has by minutes played. Probably want to use someone with at least 40 minutes. Gives a much more accurate picture of the team's scorers.

Luke Apfeld .43 PPM Shows how much we're gonna miss him for these next few weeks.

Trey Blue .40 PPM Obviously needs more minutes. 10 more points than Rusin with 58 less minutes. Only 20 less than Carissimo with 141 less minutes!

Clancy Rugg .38 PPM Rugg is a beast as of late. With this new starting role I expect him to jump into the .40s

Sandro Carissimo .34 PPM

Candon Rusin .32 PPM
Candon should be in the high .30 to .40 territory, but he really needs to make more of the shots he's taking.

Ethan O'Day .26 PPM
Should be in the mid .30s by the end of the season

Ben Crenca .25 PPM
a healthy Crenca would be a different story

Brendan Kilpatrick .24 PPM
with Luke out, he will be in the .30s within the next couple games

Brian Voelkel .20 PPM no surprise here, but he does so much more

Josh Elbaum .12 PPM You really don't realize how much Elbaum has sucked this year until you do the math... and I just did. Sorry man.

Don't believe me on this. Try it with your own team and see what you come up with. ;)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
On the other hand, how does Elbaum do in the steals per minute category? No one stat does it for me, but I appreciate your research.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
We always talk about points per game in basketball, but that number gets skewed after a couple games with low minutes.

What if we measured by points per minute?

Here's how it works. Simply divide the points a player has by minutes played. Probably want to use someone with at least 40 minutes. Gives a much more accurate picture of the team's scorers.

Luke Apfeld .43 PPM Shows how much we're gonna miss him for these next few weeks.

Trey Blue .40 PPM Obviously needs more minutes. 10 more points than Rusin with 58 less minutes. Only 20 less than Carissimo with 141 less minutes!

Clancy Rugg .38 PPM Rugg is a beast as of late. With this new starting role I expect him to jump into the .40s

Sandro Carissimo .34 PPM

Candon Rusin .32 PPM
Candon should be in the high .30 to .40 territory, but he really needs to make more of the shots he's taking.

Ethan O'Day .26 PPM
Should be in the mid .30s by the end of the season

Ben Crenca .25 PPM
a healthy Crenca would be a different story

Brendan Kilpatrick .24 PPM
with Luke out, he will be in the .30s within the next couple games

Brian Voelkel .20 PPM no surprise here, but he does so much more

Josh Elbaum .12 PPM You really don't realize how much Elbaum has sucked this year until you do the math... and I just did. Sorry man.

Don't believe me on this. Try it with your own team and see what you come up with. ;)
PPM is ok but it doesn't take into account gunners who miss lot of shots.

My favorite is Points per shooting possession. pts over fga's plus 1/2 fta's. It's not a science because it doesn't account for when you shoot 3 ft's or and1's when you just look at the stats real quick. Its a great way to see how efficient someone is when they shoot.

There is a stat called offensive efficiency that takes into account everything like to's and assist but I don't like it because you don't get punished for shooting the ball and having somebody get the offensive rebound. It does work really well for teams though because the team got the offensive rebound.

Also ppm is really affected by pace of play.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the other hand, how does Elbaum do in the steals per minute category? No one stat does it for me, but I appreciate your research.
Would probably have to go by steals per 10 minutes to make the numbers show up better since steals are a much lower number than points.

Steals per 10 minutes

Top Five

Elbaum .77
Voelkel .53
Carrissimo .43
Blue .40
Apfeld .33

Assists per 10 Mins

Top Five

Voelkel 1.37
Carissimo .90
Elbaum .73
Kilpatrick .58
Blue .40

Rebounds per 10 Mins

Voelkel 2.81
O'Day 2.04
Rugg 1.89
Apfeld 1.57
Crenca 1.30

Turnovers per 10 Mins

Blue .89
Voelkel .88
Crenca .83
Rusin .71
Kilpatrick .70
Apfeld .67
Elbaum .59
Carissimo .49
O'Day .49
Rugg .36

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Hey, thanks! Using a few different "per minute" stats shows me a different picture. I'm not related to Elbaum, never met him, but he does contribute in ways that don't usually get measured. I bet UVM coaching has all this stuff out to 10 decimal places LOL.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks! Using a few different "per minute" stats shows me a different picture. I'm not related to Elbaum, never met him, but he does contribute in ways that don't usually get measured. I bet UVM coaching has all this stuff out to 10 decimal places LOL.
No prob. Yeah I was pretty tough on Elbaum. The numbers don't lie and he's been contributing this year for sure! Sorry Josh!

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For Comparison

04-05 Season

Coppenrath .68 PPM
Sorrentine .51 PPM
Schneider .40 PPM
Duell .28 PPM
Cieplicki .26 PPM
Mopa Njila .21 PPM

This is literally the top 6 that season. Just shows how balanced the team is this year in scoring. Would be nice to have a guy in the .50s though as a go to scorer.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stony Brook

Warney .46 PPM
Coley .42 PPM
Jackson .41 PPM
King .39 PPM
Bracey .37 PPM
Rouse .35 PPM
Puriefoy .29 PPM
Brenton .25 PPM
Hayes .24 PPM
McAlister .20 PPM
Mayo .18 PPM

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Stony Brook

Warney .46 PPM
Coley .42 PPM
Jackson .41 PPM
King .39 PPM
Bracey .37 PPM
Rouse .35 PPM
Puriefoy .29 PPM
Brenton .25 PPM
Hayes .24 PPM
McAlister .20 PPM
Mayo .18 PPM
Warney on top. interesting. He has been amazing so far. lets see if he can display some of that tomorrow

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Albany

Black .48 PPM
Iati .39 PPM
Rowley .33 PPM
Hooley .30 PPM
Devlin .29 PPM
Evans .27 PPM
Puk .27 PPM
Guerrier .24 PPM
Metcalf .20 PPM

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
For the Stony Brook @ Vermont game tonight. Still fine tuning this thing, but we'll see how it turns out.

Vermont

Scoring Top 5

Rebounding Top 5

Assists Top 5

Steals Top 5

Turnovers Top 5

Subtract 3.77

Home advantage

Add .2 for every home win 1.2

Overall Score

Game Total by Vermont
(take Vermont's overall score / subtract Stony Brook's steal avg. Multiply by 5)

-----------------------------------------

Stony Brook

Scoring Top 5

Rebounding Top 5

Assists Top 5

Steals Top 5

Turnovers Top 5

Subtract 3.96

Away Game Disadvantage

Subtract .2 for every away loss .6

Overall Score

Game Total by Stony Brook
(take Stony Brook's overall score / subtract Vermont's steal avg. Multiply by 5)

Final
Vermont 61
Stony Brook 58

Please keep in mind, this does not take into account quality of opponents. I have to make an excel macro to do that correctly.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Why hasn't King played more minutes? Only 103 this season? He's been productive in those minutes.
King can really stroke the 3. Defensively he is a step slow and has made some real bad turnovers on occasion. His productivity comes from putting him in very specific situations where his skill set is best utilized. ie. when teams play zone.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
King can really stroke the 3. Defensively he is a step slow and has made some real bad turnovers on occasion. His productivity comes from putting him in very specific situations where his skill set is best utilized. ie. when teams play zone.
Thanks for the reply! Really sheds some light on the situation.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Candon Rusin .32 PPM Candon should be in the high .30 to .40 territory, but he really needs to make more of the shots he's taking.

After the last game

Rugg moves up to .40 PPM
Rusin moves up to .35 PPM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts