Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What do you think is the probability of a "normal" 2021-2022 basketball season?

• 0% no way it will be "normal", i.e. no fans, same as 2020-2021

• 25%

• 50%

• 75%

• 100% definitely will be "normal" season, i.e. fans allowed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be interesting to see what forum members think about next season.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I don't know how to put a percentage of "normalcy" on the season, but barring a new covid variant that is vaccine resistant, I believe that games will be played with fans in attendance. The facilities may be somewhat socially distanced, attendees will probably be required to wear masks, and/or proof of vaccination may be required to attend, but by next fall, I'm reasonably confident that things will be trending toward a new "normal".

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I don't know how to put a percentage of "normalcy" on the season, but barring a new covid variant that is vaccine resistant, I believe that games will be played with fans in attendance. The facilities may be somewhat socially distanced, attendees will probably be required to wear masks, and/or proof of vaccination may be required to attend, but by next fall, I'm reasonably confident that things will be trending toward a new "normal".
Yeah, this was along my line of thinking. I said "50%" because it's probably a bit of a coin flip that we'll get to normal by November. But, I think we will be more than 50% of the way back to normal if that makes sense. We will have fans: some schools will allow more than others, and those fans may need masks...or vaccines...or both. But we will have fans. And I think we'll have more travel among teams, and probably something closer to the 30-game schedule we're accustomed to. Specifically, I think we'll have fewer (but probably not zero) canceled games.

·
Registered
717 Posts
UVM announced today a new policy of allowing 150 student fans for spring (really fall?) athletic events.

Kinda bizarre as the fans still need to wear masks at all times (no food and drink exemption), and each fan needs to be, at minimum, 6’ away from every other fan (no group seating). I’m not sure theyll even find 150 fans with all those restrictions lol. I sure as hell wouldn’t go to a lax game if I was 6’ away from others and had to wear a mask.

Big 12 and SEC schools filled their BASKETBALL arena up with fans this year without any issue. I don’t get the hesitancy. Corona only spreads when folks give up following restrictions entirely, not when they deviate from the extreme risk-averse position.

·
Premium Member
33,668 Posts
If we can't get back to normal after everyone has either had or had the opportunity to have the vaccine, then WTF?
Feels like things are starting to come back online a bit here in MA. Kids are going back to school full time finally soon, restaurants opening back up, I can even go to a Celtics game Friday if I wanted to.

By May, everyone here will have access to the vaccine. I’m running into more and more people that have started the process or are fully vaccinated.

I couldn’t fathom another 6-12 months of society continuing to live as it has the past year, so when it comes to college sports not sure how it could survive any further without fans. I think I saw in WSJ article that Only 20 or so D1 schools actually make money on college athletics, and it’s all the top FBS schools. And that is when things are good & normal.

By August, I’m pretty confident everything should be back; maybe people continue to wear masks, maybe some behaviors are altered permanently, but if not then maybe the whole country just moves to Florida?

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
717 Posts
Feels like things are starting to come back online a bit here in MA. Kids are going back to school full time finally soon, restaurants opening back up, I can even go to a Celtics game Friday if I wanted to.

By May, everyone here will have access to the vaccine. I’m running into more and more people that have started the process or are fully vaccinated.

I couldn’t fathom another 6-12 months of society continuing to live as it has the past year, so when it comes to college sports not sure how it could survive any further without fans. I think I saw in WSJ article that Only 20 or so D1 schools actually make money on college athletics, and it’s all the top FBS schools. And that is when things are good & normal.

By August, I’m pretty confident everything should be back; maybe people continue to wear masks, maybe some behaviors are altered permanently, but if not then maybe the whole country just moves to Florida?
I agree with MileHi's point though. Everyone should be able to get vaccinated by June 1, or at least June 30th. Why would we have to wait to fall to return to normal? I'm not saying we'll reach herd by then--there will be tens of millions of Americans either unwilling to receive the vaccine, or simply to lazy to get one. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

The US Government will have something like 550 million doses by then (many of which are one-shot J&J doses, meaning one dose only per person) and lately both Pfizer and Moderna have been BEATING the delivery timeline targets dictated in their contracts. And this doesn't include Novavax and AstraZeneca(!) which the US Government is sitting on tens of millions of doses (a stockpile that is growing) while we await potential Emergency Use Authorization.

While a lot of folks will probably have a hard time accepting/acknowledging this, the vaccine rollout here in the US is very different from the rest of the world, even rich western countries like Canada and the EU. So I'd hope we return to "normal" by June (there's no excuse why we can't given vaccine supply) but I don't expect international travel to return until 2022 at the earliest.

·
Premium Member
33,668 Posts
I agree with MileHi's point though. Everyone should be able to get vaccinated by June 1, or at least June 30th. Why would we have to wait to fall to return to normal?
To be clear, I think things will be back to normal well before Fall, but the context of this thread is attending college games, I thought. Just given the fact there’s no sports over summer, the Fall would be the next time can watch college games in-person after vaccine full roll out, presumably.

Personally, As soon as I get vaccinated, it’s on!!! I’m hopping on planes, Red Sox games, restaurants, etc. It’s going to be the summer of UVM Hoop Cat.

I haven’t been inside an actual office building since end of February last year. I haven’t been inside a restaurant since early March of last year, so 12-13 months? Lol, crazy.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
To be clear, I think things will be back to normal well before Fall, but the context of this thread is attending college games, I thought. Just given the fact there’s no sports over summer, the Fall would be the next time can watch college games in-person after vaccine full roll out, presumably.

Personally, As soon as I get vaccinated, it’s on!!! I’m hopping on planes, Red Sox games, restaurants, etc. It’s going to be the summer of UVM Hoop Cat.

I haven’t been inside an actual office building since end of February last year. I haven’t been inside a restaurant since early March of last year, so 12-13 months? Lol, crazy.
I’m right there with you. The last time I was indoors at a restaurant was when my daughter and I went to the Hartford/stony semifinal game days before last year’s championship game was cxld.
I’ve already made reservations for Ogunquit Maine in June ( assuming we will all be fully vaccinated) ...Vegas for the first weekend of NFL football....Aruba....etc
So happy that life is coming back. Getting that first shot was euphoric!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Man, I have been out to eat a bunch and going to a concert tomorrow. Of course, everything is socially distanced with masks, but still...

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while, but it certainly gets more relevant as we creep toward the start of the school year: have AE schools announced vaccination policies as it pertains to on-campus learning? UVM announced a month ago that students will be required to be vaccinated (important caveat) once the FDA fully approves one of the vaccines...

To tie in the relevance to this board: will this change the way coaches have to look at certain athletes when recruiting...or even retaining players? Will this change the way athletes look at certain schools, considering I'd be surprised if there is uniformity on this issue? Have these athletic opportunities motivated student-athletes to make vaccination choices they may not have made otherwise, especially if they're at a school where vaccination requirements are set to go into effect?

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while, but it certainly gets more relevant as we creep toward the start of the school year: have AE schools announced vaccination policies as it pertains to on-campus learning? UVM announced a month ago that students will be required to be vaccinated (important caveat) once the FDA fully approves one of the vaccines...

To tie in the relevance to this board: will this change the way coaches have to look at certain athletes when recruiting...or even retaining players? Will this change the way athletes look at certain schools, considering I'd be surprised if there is uniformity on this issue? Have these athletic opportunities motivated student-athletes to make vaccination choices they may not have made otherwise, especially if they're at a school where vaccination requirements are set to go into effect?
Update on this: it sounds like UVM is no longer waiting on full FDA approval to require vaccines.

"Unvaccinated students who arrive on campus next month will not be denied admission to the school, although they will be prevented from registering for the second semester.
Students who are unvaccinated will be required to be tested for COVID-19 at least weekly and they will be required to wear masks."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts