Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a chicken shit thread to make when we're already 10 games into the season but whatever.

What predictions have been thrown around by media that you disagree with?

Mine is: Lakers will be a top 3 team in the West.

This to me was the most blatant fanboy nonsense I've heard. You have the Stephen A's, Cowherd's and other idiot talking heads going nuts saying how great they'll be, hell, even the level headed shows like the Jump and the Starters were mostly penciling them in as top 3-5. Adding Lebron to a nice young core is great, but their offseason signings outside of Lebron were absolute trash. Even ignoring the fact they seem like they went out of their way to pick up every guy with a screw loose they could, the combination of skills they were bringing in just doesn't make sense. Redundant players who skill wise are the complete opposite of what you want to surround Lebron with.

I think they'll make the playoffs. Hell, Adam Silver will go and start Tonya Harden'ing the other teams star in the knee late this season if it looks like Lebron and the Lakers might miss the post season. But the idea they'd make the second round or the conference finals? Pure trash unless there's a major trade.

Also, the idea that a second star this offseason is a given is questionable in my eyes. Sounds like Leonard doesn't want to go there, same as Butler. Couple that with PG staying with Russ in OKC and it looks like a lot of guys don't want to play second fiddle to Lebron in LA. Obviously if they get AD that changes everything, but that's anything but a given at this point.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I guess someone may have said that but most of what I've read has them hanging off the cliff of that 'tied for the 7-9 spot' with like 4 other teams which pending a trade is probably more or less what I expect

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
This probably isn't high-profile enough to count, but a lot of Celtics fans kind of assumed that Marcus Morris would be salary-dumped before the trade deadline to get the C's under the tax line this year because he'd struggle to get minutes. I never understood that, because with Boston's starting lineup being on the smaller side he's literally the first big swingman off the bench for the team. I think it's more likely he's on the team in October 2019 than he's not on the team in March 2019.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This probably isn't high-profile enough to count, but a lot of Celtics fans kind of assumed that Marcus Morris would be salary-dumped before the trade deadline to get the C's under the tax line this year because he'd struggle to get minutes. I never understood that, because with Boston's starting lineup being on the smaller side he's literally the first big swingman off the bench for the team. I think it's more likely he's on the team in October 2019 than he's not on the team in March 2019.
I've always thought Morris was a solid bench/role player, but I sure didn't see him being this big of an asset to the team. I agree, I can't see them dealing him unless it's in some ill conceived package for another star.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I still believe that Markelle Fultz will make an all-star team one day. Am I the last one left? Maybe.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still believe that Markelle Fultz will make an all-star team one day. Am I the last one left? Maybe.
I sure hope so. He has all the talent to do so, just needs to get his head right.

Never seen the yips this bad in the NBA.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always been an East guy, but I certainly didn't expect the 2 top teams record wise being from the East at this point.

I knew the Raptors would be good, but not this good. They're killing it, and many times without Kawhi. We've been fooled before by them when the playoffs come around, but with Lebron gone I'm looking forward to seeing if they can make the Finals.

As far as the Bucks, I really underrated them. I had them ranked 5th in my head going into the season behind the Celtics, Raptors, 6ers, Pacers (yes, I am a homer). Giannis is Giannis, but Bledsoe seems to finally be the guy they thought they were trading for last year, and the pickup of Brook Lopez has been a home run for them.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I knew the Raptors would be good, but not this good. They're killing it, and many times without Kawhi. We've been fooled before by them when the playoffs come around, but with Lebron gone I'm looking forward to seeing if they can make the Finals.
Most impressive thing about the Raptors in my mind is how they haven't missed a beat with a new coach... and also how the Pistons appear to be better with the Raptors old coach. It's clear to me that neither Nurse nor Casey was the "matermind" behind that team. They are both probably pretty good coaches.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Take a look at the East/West splits.

Toronto and Philly are a combined 11-2 against the West. The rest of the east is a combined 34-66 against the West. That's a 34% winning percentage. It's only 39% even with the Raptors and 76ers included. The disparity between the conferences so far this season is even worse than it has been in the last decade.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at the East/West splits.

Toronto and Philly are a combined 11-2 against the West. The rest of the east is a combined 34-66 against the West. That's a 34% winning percentage. It's only 39% even with the Raptors and 76ers included. The disparity between the conferences so far this season is even worse than it has been in the last decade.
Bucks are 7 and 4 against the West, Pacers are 5 and 5 as well, and that's with missing the man of the people, Victor Oladipo for a lot of it.

There's 4 or 5 solid teams in the East, 2 right now looking like top 3 teams. After that it's a couple of mediocre teams and the typical tank squads.

The West is as deep as ever, but the Warriors look like they're actually beatable, and the Rockets just look.... bad. Early in the season and that can all change, but I think this looks like the best shot the East has had in a while.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I think this looks like the best shot the East has had in a while.
To win a title? That may be possible. To win a regular season game? I think this is the worst shot the East has had in a very long time.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To win a title? That may be possible. To win a regular season game? I think this is the worst shot the East has had in a very long time.
Toronto just sweeping the Warriors doesn't seem to line up with that.

I think the top teams in the East this year look a lot stronger than the previous years of Lebron, a couple allstars and junk.

The West seems as deep as ever. But are any of these teams outside the Warriors better than the Raptors and Bucks? Let alone a solid Celtics team that is coming back from a slow start. The 6ers's (although they need some depth after the Butler trade). And hey, don't sleep on the Pacers who had a winning record even when Oladipo was out for a decent stretch of games.... Homer opinion I know.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
The West seems as deep as ever. But are any of these teams outside the Warriors better than the Raptors and Bucks? Let alone a solid Celtics team that is coming back from a slow start. The 6ers's (although they need some depth after the Butler trade). And hey, don't sleep on the Pacers who had a winning record even when Oladipo was out for a decent stretch of games.... Homer opinion I know.
Even if 5 of the top 6 teams in the league are in the East, the next 13 are in the West IMO. That's the crux of the imbalance. 14 of the top 19 teams are Western Conference teams.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if 5 of the top 6 teams in the league are in the East, the next 13 are in the West IMO. That's the crux of the imbalance. 14 of the top 19 teams are Western Conference teams.
I basically just said the same thing. There is more parity in the West. But the talk about how weak the East is, we tend to gloss over 5 of the top 8 teams (at worst) are from the East. The top of the East is strong as ever. Problem is, the middle to bottom of the East is the worst junk I've ever witnessed.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
I've always been an East guy, but I certainly didn't expect the 2 top teams record wise being from the East at this point.

As far as the Bucks, I really underrated them. I had them ranked 5th in my head going into the season behind the Celtics, Raptors, 6ers, Pacers (yes, I am a homer). Giannis is Giannis, but Bledsoe seems to finally be the guy they thought they were trading for last year, and the pickup of Brook Lopez has been a home run for them.
Bucks are 7 and 4 against the West, Pacers are 5 and 5 as well, and that's with missing the man of the people, Victor Oladipo for a lot of it.

There's 4 or 5 solid teams in the East, 2 right now looking like top 3 teams. After that it's a couple of mediocre teams and the typical tank squads.

The West is as deep as ever, but the Warriors look like they're actually beatable, and the Rockets just look.... bad. Early in the season and that can all change, but I think this looks like the best shot the East has had in a while.
It’s been a fun season as a Bucks fan. I was skeptical when they dumped Hammond as their GM but Horst has really done a great job getting the right talent/coaching around Giannis.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I know this is kind of the opposite of the point of this thread, but I 100% bought in on the popular prediction of the Jazz being one of the top 3 teams in the West. It's just that none of their guards have been able to make any shots. Rubio, Exum, and Mitchell have just played much worse than I think most people anticipated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts